Budgie owners

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linz_1987

Reaction score
I have a feeling my Budgie is ill. She has pooall stuck on her bottom, and when ever she trys to poo shemakes a funny noise, as if shes in pain.

My mum changed her bird food the other day as there was none of herusuall in the any shop anywhere. This food had little bits of fruit init, and we thought it might of given her diareha. But she doesnt seemto be able to poo at all. We have managed to get her original food andhave given her that now. Is there anything else we can give her to helpher poo?

We dont really want to take her to the vets, as she is 10 yrs old thisyear, but if we really have no other option ofcourse we will take herto the vets.

Please help!

She might be Egg bound..
i had two. and Tweety died a year ago from Egg Bounding. she had whatyour explaning. you could take her to the vets, and they will dosurgery on her to take it out. and she will be all better..

or this Helped tweety.. massage her belly.. Tweety HATED to betouched.. so i have to have a towel over her so i could hold her toshow her belly.. but once my mom started she just loved it. it made herfeel so much better

I think you should call a vet. I think thatthere's some kind of oil you can drop in her mouth to help her pass herpoo.......I don't remember though....Uh, sorry I don't reallyknow....but I would ask a vet what you should do. -Heather

We had a budgie with this problem. Can you trygently bathing his rear end with some cotton wool to see if you canloosen the poo? I would definately recommend a vet visit, and changingback to his original food if poss. Let us know what happens.

Jan

She seems to be alot better today, but still offcolour. There is poo in the bottom of her cage now and she has stoppedmaking the noise. She still has poo on her bottom though but not asmuch.

She seems to be moving her tail up and down all the time constantly asif she is trying to poo all the time, but nothing comes out.

She has been handled very little and it is so hard to even get nearher. She only goes up to you if you have food. We areprobually going to take her to the vets tomorow so she can be in thehands of a proffesional lol. If he can get his hands on heranyway ;)

She use to always come out of her cage when she had her budgie friendwith her, but when he died she wouldnt come out of her cage atall :(.

I never knew you could give surgery to a budgie. Arent they too small to survive the operation?

Thank you for all the advice, I will keep you all updated!

nope they do it all the time here.. when theyare egg bound they'll do surgery to remove it.. they will even operateon reptiles. tech. is getting better

I am glad to say the budge iscompletely fine now. I think she was just trying to scare us.It may well of been the change in her food, as I dont think she haseaten anything else than her usual in the 10 years she has been alive.We didnt think she woukd react like that though.

But also at the moment she has started to eat her sand mat at the bottom of the cage :?weird budgie.

What was your trick to getting your budgie tochange its diet? My tiel and budgie have been on a diet of seeds and Ihave tried several times to swich them to pellets. Now I have beenmaking a homemade meal I give in addition to their seeds: brown ricemixed with a can of vegtables to try to get some of the nutrition theyare missing from the all seed diet. I have learned my lesson, I willNEVER buy a bird weaned on seed again, it just isn't healthy for them.

Oh and grats on having your budgie for 10 years :D, I worked at a petstore and people could hardly keep them alive for 24 hours (making meangry!)

Uh isnt seeds healthy for them??? My budgie hasbeen living on budgie seed from the pet shop for 10 years and she isstill nice and healthy?

Ididnt know they werent suppose to eat seed??? whoops

The pelleted diets are a recent thing, they haveall the nutrients the birds need in every pellet so they always get ablanced diet (instead of when they pick all the millet seed out of theseed mix lol). Its like the rabbit pellets. I want to switch them so Idon't have to worry about their nutrition because they have been reallypicky about fruits and veggies (only eating peas, rice andcookedbroccoii.)

I did find one thing out, if Pippen, my tiel, sees the bunnies eatingsomething, she wants it too! She tried a dandelion yesterday.

Linz, I am so pleased your budgie has pulledthrough OK. One of our budgies is 11 years old this year, and stillacts like a youngster. I think we may feed them differently over here -mine have always been fed seed (Trill), with a few leaves or fruit as atreat.

Jan

I'm glad you all have keets that are living solong on seed diets :DI'm not as worried now about theirnutrition, but I wont stop giving them their veggies.

Hey there!

I haven't been around much, so I'm jumping in really late, but I wantedto share what info I have about diet. Seeds are good for birds, it'swhat they eat in the wild, but the way we keep birds has evolved andwe've learned that it's really important to also feed them a widevariety of fruits and veggies. Dark leafy greens are great for birds,also sweet potatoes or yams. Things like celery and iceburg lettucearen't harmful, but they don't provide many nutrients and they willcause a watery stool. Stay away from avocado and fruits with a pit.Avocado's are toxic throughout, fruits with a pit are not "toxic" butthe toxins from the pit can bleed into the fruit and have been known topoison birds. Feeding one type of food exclusively is not healthy, inmost cases what happens is that it overtaxes their system and theydevelop liver problems. This is especially true of small birds. In facta seed only diet is actually easier on a small birds system than apellet only diet because pellets are packed with SO many nutrients andvitamins.... too much of a good thing can be harmful.

I feed my birds a brand of food called Birdelicious, it has fruits,veggies, seeds, and nuts all mixed up together and then dehydrated.It's like the new answer to pellets, but without all the processing andartificial vitamins and stuff. Before this I gave the birds a big bowlof mixed fruits, veggies, and greens for a couple hours and then Iwould give them seed for the rest of the day.

If your budgie is already 10 years old changing his/her diet willprobably be difficult and may not go well. I'd give it a try, butcontinuing to feed seeds will not be the worst thing in the world. Ifit has never eaten fresh foods before it may take a couple months ofoffering them every day before it will try the new foods. I always cutmy fresh food up really tiny and mix it up that way if I want to givethem something new to try they're not put off by something that lookscompletely different.

Megan
PS I lost my spell check so please excuse my spelling mistakes! :D

Hey! Thanks for the reply, better late than never!

But I think some people have got the wrong end of the stick... Thechange in the diet was only a one off as we couldnt get any of herusual seed else where, so it was kind of as an emergency.

We gave her her usual seed as soon as possible. Sheocasionally has a piece of orange, or a grape, or some lettuce, so sheis not only on seed food. We also feed her millet, and some budgie seedsticks which have dried fruit stuck on them, they are kind of like allstuck together on a long stick (lol). I hope this diet is okfor her, as she has been living on it for 10 yrs! :DOnceagain thank you all for the advice.

I am not really understanding this bit though

* Stay away from avocado and fruits with a pit. Avocado's aretoxic throughout, fruits with a pit are not "toxic" but the toxins fromthe pit can bleed into the fruit and have been known to poison birds. *

Please exlpain? :embarrassed:

This is a really great forum and it is nice that we are all animallovers of all kinds, and can help out on any non rabbit relatedproblems.

Thank you!

This is going to sound way dumb, but do you evenhave avocado's in the UK?? LOL it may not even be pertinent to you :DAvocado's are toxic no matter what part they eat. Fruits like peachesare not classified as toxic, but the pits are toxic and there have beencases of birds passing away after eating part of the fruit that is tooclose to the pit, so it's safer not to feed them at all. Keep askingquestions if it's still not clear!!

Megan

Back