Buck....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaspberrySwirl

Reaction score
Sebastian is scheduled to get neuteredMonday. They didn't say anything about holding feed or waterbeforehand. That is usually the instructions beforesurgery...Is that not so for bunnies?

Not so for bunnies. :)A bunny will notdo good with a sudden change like that and need to have access to foodconstantly. That's how their digestive systems work and that's why theyare constantly pooping. It would be a bad idea to stop feeding a rabbit.

Thanks! I was just trying to figure outhow to change my "subject" to read so that anyone else who knew theanswer would answer too!

I'm really nervous about taking him. :( I never like taking achance with leaving my animals with people I don't know and this isn'tmy usual vet. My vet doesn't care for bunnies.Sebastian is just so good and I don't want somebody screwing itup. It only takes one jerk to mess things up.

I know how you feel. :)Almost exactly ayear agoI had both my boys neutered. I didn't know the vetbut he gave me confidence when he said it was a simple procedure and hehad done it plenty of times with his and others rabbits. I have todrive about an hour in good traffic if not an hour and a half to takethem to the vet though.

There is always the chance, but an experienced rabbit vet should be noproblem with him. :)Just relax and I'm sure he will be fine.

No worries about the name of the post, people tend to ignore that andanswer anyways if they know the answer, as I proved lol! ;):p

Not so. Credit your vet with beinga rabbit savy practitioner. Feed/water usuallywithheld during medical procedures to preclude patient vomiting inresponse to anesthesia and/or other factors.

By and large, most authorities agree most rabbits are incapable ofvomiting. That's one of the reasons fur blockages are sodangerous for buns. Unlike cats, rabbits cannot get rid ofthem by bringing them up. I have to qualify with "most"because apparently there has been a rabbit, or four, who were capableof the deed, but for all intents and purposes, it is not a factor inrabbit surgery....or so I've been led to believe.LOL

We'll all be plugging and praying for Sebastian come Monday,believeme! Nervousness on your part is quite normal and there is inherent riskwith any surgery, but you are doing the right thing, Raspberry, andfarmers used to do it on the kitchen table or the barn in the olddays. It is not neuro-surgeryor rocketscienceand your question suggests your surgeon is probablymostcompetent.

Buck

Oh that was the reason! lol, I knew I was missing the big point, lol thanks Buck for filling that in.

Oh no worries Buck! You were not "stepping on mytoes" by any means. :)After all, I only said what I rememberbeing told about it, but what good is a reason without being told thewhole reason? It's better to be well informed instead on onlypartially. You don't have to worry about offending me or anything else,most people wont ever manage to do that. :)

Glad to have such knowledgeable persons such as yourself on this board.

Thanks youtwo! I'm not worried so much about the complication of thesurgery (I actually had a consult with a neurologist regarding myself aweek or two back!) It's just the absence of those he loves and the notknowing how others will treat him that I worry most about.Even so, I'm not real worked up about it. I have five kids,can't get tooverwroughtabout my bun!:)

Hi RaspberrySwirl,

You're wise to take him to someone with more experience in neutering.

I'll be praying and worrying about him right along with you, RaspberrySwirl.

For the record, the percentage of rabbits that come out of theprocedure just fine is much higher than the one's that don't,considering the veterinarian is experienced with rabbits. Don't beafraid to ask them how often they treat rabbits.

Sending healthy wishes to you and your own doctor's appointment.

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back