Buck is very persistent attacking the doe

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumperina

Reaction score
Hello,
My rabbits are between 5 and 6 months old. Recently my buck has periods of crazy sexual activity (thanks God, not every day) when he keeps following and mounting the doe every single minute. She starts eating grass, he is mounting her, then she has to run away. (Do does always run away?) She can't eat, she can't sleep, she can't rest. It does not look like it is hurting her, but she just runs away.
I have been trying to separate them when he attacks like this -- just to give poor doe chance to rest. The buck goes to sleep to the basement, right now he is prisoned in the back yard, while she is on the front (we have fenced area everywhere).
He seems to be very unhappy. Also, he is shaking at the days like this. IS IT NORMAL FOR THEM TO SHAKE LIKE CRAZY WHEN THEY ARE SEXUALLY ACTIVE?
I don't mind them having bunnies, but I would prefer this not to happen during the summer (it's hot here, and I will be gone to vacation). After that I was planning to neuter the buck.
I understand that what going on is normal.

My questions:
Should I separate them when the buck is too persistent?
Why is he shaking with all his body?
Is separation not affecting my buck very negatively? (well, people can help themselves when they need to, not sure about rabbits:)
Can it happen that a doe doesn't allow a buck to have sex?

Thank you!

Before Derby was neutered I seen him molest a series on 12 stuffies non stop for a very long time. I would think that he is shaking from excitement and arousal. I personally would separate them when he gets too "horny" and won't leave her along. Otherwise you are going to have babies, maybe it is already too late. Bucks will keep going especially if the doe is in heat.

gmas rabbit wrote:
Bucks will keep going especially if the doe is in heat.
Thank you!
Do you mean when it's hot and she is lazy to escape?
Both of my buns are usually very passive when it's pretty hot. yesterday and today were cooler days though.

One question == will he at least give us a break and cool down (not forever, but for some time)? This is of course not the first time for him to be sexually active, but usually he would stop and forget about mounting for a good period of time. Today is the second day of him shivering.
Also, both of them are not eating today. Can it be that he is sick but not just "horny"? He seems to be perfectly fine while chasing her.

Nancy McClelland, thanks for opinion. I will keep it in mind.

You need to keep them separated. At that age, he's sexually able to produce babies but she's not old enough. And as long as he can smell the doe, he'll want to breed. Is there any way you can get him neutered before you go on vacation?

wendymac wrote:
You need to keep them separated. At that age, he's sexually able to produce babies but she's not old enough. And as long as he can smell the doe, he'll want to breed. Is there any way you can get him neutered before you go on vacation?

I am checking with vets right now. But it will take more time to supervise for the recovery, right?

Actually, it's been several months since he got able to make her pregnant, but she is still not pregnant. I guess she is able to keep him away from that spot LOL

As even at 6 months it's not advisable for her to be pregnant, you should keep them apart until she's a few months older. Luckily she didn't get pregnant at 3 or 4 months, as she might not still be around now.

yeah, people thrive to find pets that would get along well, and when they do, they are told - separate them (joking through tears)

Thank you! I know this is the only thing we can do(((

The best way to get rabbits that will get along well is to get them already neutered from a shelter that allows speed dates to find out compatibility. Until a rabbit is neutered, bonding isn't really going to be lasting, except in rare cases & is true if both are of the same gender. Their cases or pens can be near each other, just not enough for mating or fighting.

gmas rabbit wrote:
In heat means that the does is receptive to breeding. Sorry nothing to do with the weather. I sometimes forget that not everyone is old school.

Thanks for explaining! Nothing to do with old school -- I am originally from Europe, my first language is not English. (Iwould say something like: when she is "hot").

Back to theweather, when it's hot, theyboth are very passive during the day (tomorrow we going back to high temperatures).

They'll have lots of time, after he's neutered to really bond. Right now they're not bonding...he's just trying to breed her and she's trying to avoid him.

Latest posts

Back