Brushing and grooming

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy Bunno

Reaction score
HEY!
So today I bought a new brush for my bun (I'll attach the picture down below.)
15497204471982051175450.jpg
I decided to brush my rabbit when I got home. While I was brushing him, I saw that he was kind of vibrating? Like trying to pull away? It's really hard to explain. But I thought that I was hurting him so I stopped. He seemed scared so I gave him I small slice of apple to munch on. I continued brushing him very carefully, making sure that I don't press down at all. I got out a lot of hair, but he seemed terrified.
1549721287883590909942.jpg
I petted him and gave him kisses. He calmed down. This post is long but I'm a bit worried. This was his first time with a comb like this. There are no problems with his skin either. Should I be concerned about something? I have usually brushed him with a completely different brush.

Last edited:
That's way too much fur to be coming out at once, which probably means it's ripping the good fur out of his skin. Which would explain why he was vibrating, because it hurt and he was terrified.

I wouldn't use that comb at all. Best thing I have found for getting shedding fur off a rabbit is running a hand dampened with water over their fur and then balling up the fur that comes off, then doing again. I occasionally will use a slicker brush made for cats, but with light shedding it isn't all that effective.
https://www.chewy.com/lil-pals-coated-tips-cat-slicker/dp/155275

It sounds like he's trying to tell you that he didn't like that comb, so I would switch. I've always loved the Furminator, it does a great job. Really, though, any sort of non-wire-tipped comb or brush should be ok. Rabbits have very sensitive skin, so the gentler the better. Like Jbun said, damp hands can do wonders as well.

Alright! Thank you for the replies. I will definitely try the damp hand method.

Latest posts

Back