Bruise? Or something worse?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kipcha

Reaction score
So this morning, we noticed that Flynn's skin around her incision looked darker. We thought maybe her hair was starting to grow back or something and didn't think anything of it.

Then, tonight, it looked darker.

We sent an e-mail off to our vet, I was considering calling to get an answer ASAP... It almost looks like a bruise?

Yesterday
426720_3234474177214_1127468202_33200686_895762747_n.jpg

Tonight
429427_3234476257266_1127468202_33200687_579826306_n.jpg

Okay if you compare the top part of her hip yesterday that looks bruised, today it looks like growing fur. Todays bottom area looks like yesterday's top area. I wonder if the dark skin is just that, dark because of the colour of fur that is going to come in. Bruising at this stage should be uglier coloured more purple and yellows. What did the vet say.The incision itself looks good, doesn't appear to be any new swelling,the rest looks healthy and pink. I would almost think it is skin definition of the new fur to come. Hope I'm right. Let us know what she says. Phone, it is your vets FHO surgery, she won't mind.

I would definitely prefer to think it is new hair coming in...

We weren't able to get a hold of our vet, we were wondering why she wasn't getting back to us and THEN we remembered that she's travelling for vacation right now and she'll be gone for another week. I don't really like the other vet who works at the clinic so I'm not quite sure on who I should go to for answers...

Flynn is acting normal today though, still perky and bright eyed as ever, although I'm not convinced she slept last night, I think she was putting most of her energy into keeping me awake. I'll see if she replies to the e-mail and if it should change or anything, I'll just have to bite the bullet and see the other vet.

We took Flynn into the vet and good news, it turns out it was new hair coming in.

Bad news, she took one of the scabs off her incision so she's obviously been licking/chewing at it. We're going to have to keep a close eye on it now that she's decided to start picking at it, the vet said that if she rips one open they would have to put her under again to repair it. *Sigh*

Figure out one problem, get introduced to another.

They have some sort of bitter tasting solution you can put on it to prevent her licking it. Maybe that will even take the itch out. Other than that you can try a translucent band aid that fits closely and harder to lick off.

You should ask to make sure it is ok for rabbits, but when I worked for a vet we would tell people to put men's deoderant AROUND the incision. Dogs and cats lick across. They hit the deoderant and leave it alone because it's nasty.

You need to be careful with the bitter apple spray sold for dogs and cats because some buns LOVE the taste.

So glad it was just fur re-growth.

I saw that on a patch on Dobby when he had full "coat blow out". At first I thought there was something wrong but after reading load of info on "coat blow" I found out that the skin will change colors (darker pigment) and hair will start to grow.

With such a big spot of hair missing, no wonder you thought it was a bruise.

So glad nothing is wrong and Flynn's hair is coming back. Now to keep her away from the stitches.

K

We do have some bitter spray, but we don't put a lot of faith in it since it's the same stuff we used for Peace and he loved it.

Wow Karen, never would have thought the skin would actually change color o_O

Alma, I wouldn't be surprised if she could!

I would still have the other vet see the pictures because I'm concerned it could be bleeding under the skin. I'm not sure what she had the surgery for, but if there is a vessel in the skin or subcutaneous layer that wasn't properly clamped off, it could bleed into the space between the skin and the fat layer under the skin. Any vet should be able to identify if that's what's going on in those pics, or if it's just a bruise or new fur coming in. There are some other ways to tell if she is bleeding into a pocket there as well, but they would require you going to the vet.

Flynn had a Femoral Head Ostectomy done almost 2 weeks ago. We did actually bring Flynn into the clinic and had the other vet who actually owns the clinic have a look at her and they seemed to have no concerns (According to my Mom, I was at work at the time) about it being any kind of internal bleeding, luckily. They were more concerned at Flynn picking at scabs then the darkening of her skin.

However, we will still have our vet take a look when she gets back, but I know that the vet who was availible has a very good reputation, we just don't normally see her.

Back