Bruce just came home from surgery..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunterbaby05

Reaction score
So yesterday my flemish giant bruce who is 2-3 yrs old came home from his neuter surgery. He seems tired but he seems ok, hes drinking and also going the bathroom too. The vet gave me oxbow which I'm supposed to give to him. Bruce doesn't want it at all, he ran into the corner of his cage. I have a syringe to feed him it but he hates the syringe. I also gave him little pieces of carrot and snap peas, he ate a little but them didnt seem to interested, and he loves carrots which surprised me that he didn't want it! So should I force his to eat the oxbow through the syringe? I'm worried!!

I don't know if I'd do the snap peas-they could cause lots of gas in him.

Oooh thanks for telling me, I wont give them anymore. I only was giving them to him cause the vet tech at his vets office said she gave him some. I did call the vet though, and she said to if he is not eating anything then use a syringe and force him to have some of the oxbow because it will help him

I gather that is critical care? Probably one or two applications will help him to get eating. You don't want him to quite completely as it will put him into a GI statis. Have you tried canned pumpkin. Also offer him some parsley or romaine lettuce and some hay.

Yes it is the critical care, I'm about to offer him some. I went to the store and got him some cilantra which he took from my hand very greedily lol :) I also gave him a strawberry which he loved. He's not eating his pellets which concerns me because he loves his pellets.. But I am about to give him some of the oxbow critical care.. I love him so much. I just checked on him and he seems a little more perky :) He's the best :)

If hes eating something, dont force/syringe feed him, it will only cause more stress.

Getting him to eat the cilantro is great, keep it up. However hes probably not eating the pellets because youre offering stuff thats SOOOOO much better now ;) Make a game or something to get him to eat his hay, just keep encouraging him.

Thankyou for posting :) I definitley won't force him then, I don't want to stress him. Thanks for the posts, it's helped a lot. How much Cilantro can he have? I gave him a little bit. Also, Bruce has never been one to eat hay. I have offered him all types of timothy hay and he never eats it, I always end up throwing it away, but I always offer it to him :(. He had a lot of trouble with GI stasis a while back and I switched his pellets to a Zupreem timothy hay based pellet and he has not had stasis since (Knock on wood) Bruce and I have a bond that my 5 other rabbits don't share. He is seriously like a dog, he is very special.

Latest posts

Back