Brrrrr.....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaisyNBuster wrote:
While on the subject of cold snaps, what is the coldest that a rabbit can comfortably stand?
Did a little researching. Rabbit Production, Eighth Edition, most rabbit breeders' "bible" says,

An ideal temperature is 50 to 60 degrees F. This is knownas the "comfort zone." At either higher or lower temperaturesthan this, the animal has to expend energy to maintain its bodytemperature. Rabbits are much more tolerant of lowtemperatures than high temperatures. A Major considerationunder low temperatures is that feed consumption is increased so theanimal can maintain its body temperature. Thus, the lower theenvironmental temperature, the poorer the feed conversion, because agreater quantity of feed energy is being used to maintain bodytemperature....It is significant that water consumption also increasesas the temperature drops, because of the increased feedintake. Restricted availability of water under coldconditions(e.g., from frozen water lines) will reduce performance morethan restriction at the comfort zone,because rabbits will not eat ifthey don't have sufficient water. page 101.

Conversely, on page 284:

Rabbits are of Mediterranean origin and adapt best to climaticconditions that are not extremely cold or hot. They are notvery tolerant of high temperatures and experience considerable heatstress when the temperature reaches about 88 degrees F.

These comments are pretty much definitive for me as the wholebook is based upon years of experience and hard research by a host ofimminent authors.

Buck

Buck Jones wrote:
An ideal temperature is 50 to 60 degrees F.This is known as the "comfort zone." At either higher orlower temperatures than this, the animal has to expend energy tomaintain its body temperature. Rabbits are much more tolerantof low temperatures than high temperatures. A Majorconsideration under low temperatures is that feed consumption isincreased so the animal can maintain its body temperature.Thus, the lower the environmental temperature, the poorer the feedconversion, because a greater quantity of feed energy is being used tomaintain body temperature....It is significant that water consumptionalso increases as the temperature drops, because of the increased feedintake. Restricted availability of water under coldconditions(e.g., from frozen water lines) will reduce performance morethan restriction at the comfort zone,because rabbits will not eat ifthey don't have sufficient water. page 101.

Conversely, on page 284:

Rabbits are of Mediterranean origin and adapt best to climaticconditions that are not extremely cold or hot. They are notvery tolerant of high temperatures and experience considerable heatstress when the temperature reaches about 88 degrees F.

These comments are pretty much definitive for me as the wholebook is based upon years of experience and hard research by a host ofimminent authors.

Buck
Absolutley brilliant bit of research there Buck, thanks a lot.

For Daisy I have actually increased her food intake and givingherall she can eatand I am finding she is eatingmore.She is eating more throughout the night and the earlymorning so I am giving her a full bowl at about 7pmand thenchecking in the morning at about 11. Most of it has gonebythen.She gets a bit of fresh food during the day, such ashalf a carrot or a small amount of cauliflower leaves. She eats plentyof hay all the time.

She doesn't actually drink a great deal of water, I always changeeveryday but some days the water bottle is only half empty when I cometo change. Sometimes it worries me as I have to fill Snowy's up abouttwice a day. Having said that he is inside and it is warmer.

Her cover normally comes off at about 9am and comes on again after herfeed at 7pm. This all depends on how cold it is. If it is between about6-9*c and dry I may leave her cover off at night as I hate covering herup. In spring/summer she is always uncovered and only covered when itrains.

I will trundle down to the pet shop tomorrow and see about getting some sunflower seeds. I know for a fact that they sell them.

Thanks again for sharing your research with us. I feel honoured thatyou went out of your way to read that book to answer my question.

Vickie

Buck, I find allthis quite enlightening in regard to the heat more so than the cold. Idid watch Sebastian for signs of heat stress last year but not atnearly that "low" of a temperature. For us here in Kansas that's a nicespring day! In addition to that, our humidity runs extraordinarily highhere most times. Perhaps we should make sure this becomes a topic forthe new chat room and also make certain this bit of info is in thecheat sheet page.

Raspberry

The statement is not meant to imply the rabbitscannot live in those climes, but that it is difficult andstressful. Obviously, rabbits are produced in manyMediterranean and hot third world countries as a source of protein.

If they live with it all the time, I think their adjustment is better.If the heat/humidity varies, it is probably more dangerous, especiallythe humidity because bun cannot sweat either and just release excessbody heat by gaping, breathing heavy, stretching out as long aspossible, and using their ears as radiators, none of which I wouldconsider terribly efficient ways to cool down.

I would say that in Kansas, like New Jersey then, you should maintain ahigh level of concern. It's that darned humidity,eh!

Buck

I will simply tellSebastian's bunny daddy that Sebastian has as much fluff as Ihave...ummm....padding...and that, ummm, well, WE do not like theheat! :XWe will choose to stay where it is nice and cool!:)

Raspberry

Latest posts

Back