BROWN urine...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PepnFluff

Reaction score
Hey just been out to feed bunners and notice theres a small pool of deep dark brown urine......It's from Ruby, and its faaaar away from the litter pan, very unusual for her. The only thing diffrent she's had today has been some grass, but grass wouldn't cause it to go brown...Would it? It's been very windy and I have seen her eating on some apple leaves from the tree thats blown onto the deck... Last month when I was away she was taken to the vet for having reddy urine but that was put down to silverbeet. I wouldn't usually be concerned but this is the 2nd time in 1 1/2 months and its not red, orange, yellow coloured but dark, dark brown. Am I being parnoid and could it be the grass and apple leaves or is this a sign of something else?

Thank you :)

Dark brown urine is almost always a sign of dehydration and possible kidney issues. I would suggest a urinalysis performed by a rabbit savvy vet. I would also highly suggest having a blood panel with EC titer performed. Get her hydrated. This could be signs of a UTI, shedding spores of an EC infection or an early indication of renal failure.

Randy

If you can get some pedialyte and give her fluids orally with a syringe that would be helpful

you can also try to add a little apple juice to a crock of water to entice her to drink more
I agree with Randy that this is probably a kidney issue (as proven in the loss of Abby yesterday) and a vet visit is essential
let's hope that it is not really serious

I've got some dexalyte so I'll go give her that as soon as I've finished replying. I'll call my friend and see if she can give me a ride to the vet as mums not home till they've shut. Thank you very much Randy and Maureen.

Well, Ruby officially hates Dexalyte! Fluffy loves it but not her!I only managed to get like 9ml or so in her but I also gave her some deaxlyte soaked veges so hopefully she had more. Took her to the vet, she was kept in the wholeday so they could get a urine sample and she wasgiven 2 sets of sub-q fluidsbut no pee! Went to pick her up as I thought I could get one and low and behold 3min in the car I heard the fantastic sound of pee hitting plastic! I now have a whole specimen jar full of urine! Mum's taking it in tomorrow and they will perform a urine anaylsis and then get back to me, hopefully its nothing serious :pray:Thanks everyone for you help :)

Back