Brown stuff on teeth?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyshuman

Reaction score
[align=left]I just noticed this:
Picture08075.jpg

There was some on the bottom incisors that I could scape off with my nail, but the top stuff won't scrape off.

She was just at the vet a few weeks ago for her annual and the vet said she had 1) striations from previous malnutrition and neglect (you can see them still) and 2) some points on her molars, not quite spurs so not bad enough to warrant grinding, that may also improve with a better diet (she has hay with me, and may not have had hay in her previous house). She has been eating normally, even hard papaya tablets.

Has anyone seen somthing like this before? Should I take her to the vet? I'm going to be out of town Sun-Tues, so my only options are emergency vet tomorrow, or having someone else take her while I'm gone (bf), or waiting until Tues afternoon-Wed.

I'm so worried!!:(
[/align]

In the picture, it looks like most of the brown stuff is towards the end of the teeth. If that's so, I wouldn't be concerned. Rabbit incisors grow really, really fast so those parts should be worn away before too long. I swear I've seen that before but I can't remember on who, possibly from one of the buns at the shelter? Anyway it disappeared pretty fast. It looks like rotten spots to me, but like I said since it grows out and gets worn away it shouldn't be much of an issue.

I'd give her more yummy chew toys like wicker baskets and apple sticks to encourage her to keep those incisors in shape.

Keep a close eye on it though, and if the brown spots seem to be spreading then take her in for a tooth trim to get rid of it.

Ive seen this before in rabbits who were on a crappy diet. It should grow out now that shes getting a healthy diet and lots of nutrients.

It's strange, though, since it just showed up. I would think that if it were from her previous diet, it would have showed up before. . . I'm going to check it again tonight to see if it's still the same.:?

On Saturday it looked like there was less of it, but it was still there. I'll check again soon...

Latest posts

Back