Brother n Rabbit...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

queenadreena

Reaction score
I'm so sorry for putting this here, but Ireally need to get it off my chest. My bro came back from wherehe'd live up in Nottingham for five years or so (for uni course) He'smoved back in the house, where I've had the two rabbits for aroundabout a year now (jus been my and my mum up til now)
The thing is he absolutely hates them and calls me retarded forhaving bought them, saying things like 'whats a 20 year old doing withtwo rabbits' He assumes they're for 12 year olds or mentally retardedpeople! It makes me so angry, because I let the rabbits play in theliving room, for around two hours each day, and when he's in, he alwaystorments them. He's 24 and he'll stomp around after Milly, who's verytimid and shy, leaving her cowering in a corner, taking my half an hourto calm her down.
Mai is the more dominant and she has previously bitten him, not evenhard, and done things like clawed at his £90 jeans (oh the horror:craziness) His reactions aren't acceptable as he kicks herand will lunge out at her.
The thing that led me to post this was the fact that ten minutes ago,Mai was out for her play and sprayed him (which she's never donebefore, only within the first few weeks of me buying her, and only toonce to me) He got angry and tried to actually thump her reallyhard:cry3
He makes nasty threats of putting her down (just for typical rabbit behaviour)
It's stressing me out so much, I just need to type this out because he's driving me mad..
Does anyone else have any family problems coinciding with their rabbits?

Geez... 2 things come to mind Eitherhe is afraid of the rabbits or he is just plain cruel.24 years old andhe's tomenting little rabbits? may he has some problems you dodn't knowabout and is taking it out on your rabbits.Tell him to grow up. I wishi had some advice for you but I don't have those problems.

I am really sorry for you, what your brother isdoing is unacceptable though he cannot treat living creatures likethat. sounds like he needs more than a spray and a nibble perhaps thevet can neuter him at the same time!!!!!!!!!

Do you have any way of talking to a counselor orsocial worker about this? He clearly is aggressive and potentiallyabusive. I'm so sorry about this - and sympathize greatly.

Is he planning to stay for long in your house?

That is so horrible! :bigtears:sounds a lot likewhat my cousin used to do to his grandparents cat, but that was when hewas like 8. I think your brother needs a good kick in the rear!

Wow...sounds like your brother hasn't ever really grown up...and has a lot of unresolved anger...

That's aweful, Hun...I hope you can find a solution soon. Ionly have sisters, so I don't know what it's like to have abrother. I wish I had some advice....:(

Hugs and love!!

Rosie*

Wow! That's awful. Can your mum say something tohim?? I know you're an adult, but your brother obviously doesn't listento you! I have no idea why he'd be so nasty to bunnies...or to you forhaving them!!

I don't blame the bunnies for their reactions to him! They are obviously terrified of him!!

I wish there was some advice I can give you...

Can you let them out to play in your room where he won't bother them??It's probably not as much space, but better than nothing...

Fiona

With continued abuse they may become aggressive to all. I have seen what a rabbit like that can and will do.

I am here if you need to talk at any time.

What is a 24 year old doing being mean torabbits, that is for 12 year olds, isn't it? Maybe you could saysomething to your mom??? Tell him that they are peeing at him andbiting him because he is being mean. As long as the bunnies don't chewhis stuff, he should mind his own business. I would definatly tell yourmom what is going on, and how much it is bothering you and your babies.

Tough guys don't beat on little rabbits, p****** do!

~Star~

Oh, hon, I'm so sorry. Tell him toknock it off! I don't have this problem b/c I don't live w/my family thank God. My son is an animal lover too, so he'sgreat w/ ours.

If it were me, so this is just my opinion and what Iwould do. When he tries to scare them, tell him to knock itoff. If he even thought about kicking one of them, repeattelling him to stop and walk over and kick him. Seehow he likes it. Explain to him that his staying there istemporary (it is, right?) and that this is your and your pet's home andyou will not allow him to mistreat them-ever! I would not benice about it either. That is not right at all.

Do you just have 2? Can you maybe just keep them in yourroom? I wouldn't want to chance them getting hurt or evenbeing scared in their own home. If this changes theirpersonalities, it could take a long time to get them back to feelingsafe and being happy and trusting. Just my :twocents

I also agree w/ what Maherwoman said about him not being grown up and having anger issues.

Edited to add: Once I almost had an issue. When Iwas forced to back to live at my mom's who rented a house nextdoor tomy grandparents. My grandpa walked in one day and said therabbit had to go. That was absolutely not anoption. Luckily, he never brought it up again. Ifworse would've com to worse-I would've just asked my fiance to keep himfor me. I would have never gotten rid of him(BunBun).

Keep us posted-we're here for you!:)

Gosh I would kill my brothers if one of them did this!

:mad:

If he's around, just keep the bunnies away from him. Even if it meanshaving them out in a different room or not as much as you'd like. Iwouldn't let them run around in the same room as him for the rabbitssafety. I also agree, you should tell your mom. This sounds like it'sgone WAY beyond playful teasing and could lead to your rabbits beingseriously hurt or worse.

Jerk. :growl:

Thanks for all the support guys, I'm having a really rough time of things atm, was suprised to see so many replies.
My buns live in the shed outside in two hutches, which I lock wheneverthey're in there and keep the key on me. I have started taking the twoupstairs with me so they can play around in my room and on the upstairshallway.
My mum knows what he's like, he can be very arrogant and selfishsometimes, but othertimes he's fine and we get along well usually. Shedoes tell him to leave them alone, but he always has a comebackreffering to them as 'stupid' or some other insult. It oftendepends what mood he's in when he's mean towards the rabbits.
His staying is only temporary, because he ran up loads of debts withgoing to uni (har har) but even so, will be around two years or sobefore he moves out again (but by then, I'll hopefully be in a placewith my longterm boyfriend so can take the little ones with me)
I have noticed that Mai will bite and nibble at me after he's beenannoying her, but she usually calms down once she knows its me, andstarts playing with my hair and honking again.
These two bunnies have become such a huge part of my life now, and areso full of personality, very different to eachother but both totallylovable, I couldn't be without them now.:heart:

Latest posts

Back