Brokens out of Solids

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SNM

Reaction score
This came up again in my rabbit group on facebook. Myself and another breeder were talking about her broken reds, she says she got herBROKENS out of 2 SOLIDS.The first thing I thought was.... that is an impossibility genetically. The solid gene is homozygous recessive(en). When you pair homo recessvie with homo recessive you will always get homo recessesive(always solids). I've been studying brokens for a while to try and figure out how to introduce brokens into our Red lines.

Well, another person states they know of a broken blue that came out of 2 solid blacks :shock:baffles me. Then, another friend of mine confirms it and says she knows of a breeder of HL's that got a broken out of solids. Is this really possible? To me something has to be really warped genectically for this to happen.

I'd like an opinion/assement from an experienced breeder

I have heard of brokens come from solids but they have brokens in their pedigree waaaay back. I don't know how it works genetically though, maybe others will chime in who have had this happen.

The broken gene is dominant, so it's absolutely impossible for "true" solids to produce a broken.

"However" we have had minimal white Mini Rex mixes (booteds) whose only indicator of them being broken was a few white hairs under the arm pits or white toenails. (These were out of a true charlie x solid, so could only be broken). In this case, these minimal white (but true genetic brokens) could have produced brokens even though their phenotype (appearance) was solid.

Brokens in the pedigrees of true solids makes absolutely no difference - a solid doesn't have the broken gene, so can't pass it on - no matter how many brokens are in their pedigree.

Latest posts

Back