Broken tooth-was Boogers.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoinBackToCali

Reaction score
So it was cold last night, really cold, lower 30's, and my son in his infinite wisdom, since I wasn't home, covered up some cages because he thought the rabbits might be drafty. It's a heated barn.. duh...
Anyway, yeah despite the fact it is a heated barn, it is a metal barn with metal cages, and a concrete floor, so yeah it is drafty to an extent. This morning I went in, and my best buck had a booger. It wasnt goopy, or snotty, just like a booger that had been there for awhile. Just in one nostril. I cleaned it off, cleaned my hands and went off to tag in the pigs. When I came back, another booger, and when I cleaned it out, another one. It was NOT runny snot, it was thick pliable boogers. Just in the one nostril.They were white. he is NOT raspyHe is eating, he seems fine. He is not sneezing and there is nothing on his paws.

I know when I was out this morning, just one of my nostrils was running, and I was cold as heck.

Can rabbits actually have boogers? I mean I know cats and dogs do, but can Rabbits?

Everybody else is just fine and healthy.

Do ya'll think I should give him anything to be safe?

Zin

I'm not sure.:dunno

I can remember cleaning a few bun noses for dusties, but no actual boogers.

Somebody emailed me to tell me if could indicate a molar isses. The funny thing is, when I was looking him over, one of his front teeth was discolored and yucky looking.

Also, to answer the question... this buck did NOT come from the bad breeder.. this buck came from the breeder who keeps his place like mine.. hospital cleanliness..

Zin

My first inclination is that by covering up the cage, the air got a little dusty. He may have inhaled a little piece of hay or dust or even a flake of food. I'll sometimes see this after I clean the barn and the air gets full of dust and hay... (I doput them outside, but sometimes there is loose stuff around when I bring them back in.)
You're rabbits are used to what ever drafts are there.By covering the cages, the air flow was a little restricted and any dust or hay floating around got inhaled.

I'd give him a little time. I might seperate him, just in case. The second inclination is he has a small abcess in his nose or sinus that opened and drained. But I wouldn't rush him off to the vet. I'd wait a couple days to see if it clears up.

You're son meant well... bless him for being so considerate.

So my son wanted to see the rabbit's tooth, the one with the boogers. I popped his mouth open, and the tooth is GONE. No blood, no pus, just looks angry. Actually it looks kinda like there was some dried blood or root, at the time. So I called the vet, he told me to bring him in Monday, but to give him 1CC of injectable Penicillin to ward off any infection, and I could give him a tad bit of children's pain reliever.

The vet actually said incisor removal is a bigger deal than just lettin him be, baring infection. But he would take a look at him just to be safe.

This is the bun that always got so excited to see people that he bit at the cage bars pulling and tugging.

He is eating and drinking just fine, and I chopped all his veggies up really fine and he ate those.

We took the pics with my husbands camera, and since the detail is so good, it actually looks like a pretty clean break. As you can tell, the lip is swollen as well.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Zin

christmasinjuredbun077.jpg

christmasinjuredbun078.jpg

christmasinjuredbun079.jpg

Bo B Bunny wrote:
LOL! Sorry bout that! He's still cute! Like Orlando Bloom! :D
Er, you made some mighty spelling errors there! Johnny Depp, the cute one, is spelt J-o-h-n-n-y D-e-p-p, not O-r-l-a-n-d-o B-l-o-o-m. Sheesh :p.

My only thoughts are on the bun, is shucks, you should rename him Cletus...

Seriously, I hope he feels better soon :hug:

I have to admit that astounding looking finger with polish and a gold ring competed with the rabbit :D

I have a feeling that thetooth area will resolve and be fine.

You people crack me up... that ring got squished today by the pigs when we loaded up... so it's less astounding today than it was yesterday, but if it helps, I have the same 2 rings on the other thumb.

That's the same polish I wear everyday.. goes with EVERYTHING!

But thank ya..

So is it just me, or does it pretty much look like a clean break?

Zin

Ouch that really looks like it hurts.

I would definitely just keep an eye on him tomorrow to be sure he's eating. Hopefully the vet will be able to look in there and see how the tooth broke off. If it really broke off weird at the root, it might be worth removing it to avoid a possible abscess at the base of the tooth.

I like the idea of the PenG injections as a precaution. It cant hurt and can definitely help if an infection is starting in the area. Hopefully it will have broke off at an angle that allows it to grow back straight. Another thing to monitor will be that lower tooth because it wont have an upper tooth to grind against.

It does concern me a little that there was nasal discharge, that usually indicates a tooth root problem/infection.

Hopefully the vet will have more answers for you. For now, youre doing everything you can for him.

And yes, I agree, he is very handsome!

In his first pic, I noticed that his "lip" area looks red and even a bit bruised maybe.

I wonder if he got it caught on the cage.... Did you find the tooth?

Oh man, I'm so sorry! Such a silly twit! I never saw nose boogers as a result of losing a front tooth.

There's a big difference between if the tooth is broken off or he pulled it out completely. If he broke it off and the root is still there, it will grow back (hopefully straight). You'll just need to keep an eye on it while it comes in to make sure it meets the other teeth properly, so they all wear evenly. I do see the stub of the second tooth at the back, so that may have protected the root.

If he pulled it out completely, he will have trouble with the other teeth in the front. THe other top tooth will have nothing to keep it straight and it may start to lean. If that happens it won't meet the bottom teeth. They won't wear evenly and he'll have maloclusion issues. In that case, he may have to have the three remaining teeth (actually 5) removed. (They can get along quite well without them. You may just have to cut up his hay into managable lengths.)

Please let us know what the vet says. He will probably have to take x-rays to verify if the root is gone.

Latest posts

Back