Broken Leg :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ainsleys_mommy

Reaction score
Remus broke his front left leg. He's still putting weight on it, but he's chattering his teeth, so I know he's in pain. He's only about 10 weeks old. Will they even be able to splint it with him being so small? Has anyone else had experience with broken legs? Should I even try? Another thing... I can't really afford a big vet bill. I literally only have PB&J sandwiches and some expired chips the vending machine guy gave me to last me until NEXT Friday. Are there organizations that can maybe help?

I think it really depends on how and where it is broken. They would probably want to do an x-ray which would cost $100-200. They might be able to split it and see if it heals, but it might not heal right. If it doesn't heal, then amputation is an option.

I have heard of a few people who have just confined the rabbit to a carrier to keep them from moving around too much and the leg does heal. This can be hit and miss though. It is good to confine him until you can get him to a vet, you don't want him moving around and doing more damage to the leg.

It's broken in the wrist area, right by the dewclaw. I was reading online about broken legs. Seems the general consensus (from what I have read) is that rabbits mostly eat the splint off, and then you have risk of impaction (plus wasted money at the vet). If he's still able to bear weight on it and it's not dangling, from what I have read, I should try confining him. Of course, then you have to worry about decreased gut mobility. I just want to do what's best for him. I just feel horrible for him. I will say, I tried splinting it myself to immobilize it until I could get him to the vet after work tomorrow and he had it eaten off in about 25 minutes. I used a small piece of lightweight wood and tape with vet wrap over it.

It is best to confine him so that he uses his leg minimally. You need to take him to a rabbit knowledgeable vet ASAP . Despite the specific treatment needed for his leg he still needs to be treated for the pain while the extent of the break is being determined.
Many vets will work out plans for emergencies and/or have Care Credit.

it is pain from the break that will eventually lead to altered eating /pooping and eventual stasis

This is a list of vets recommended in previous years by RO members and , I believe, a list of HRS vets in your state. List may not be current but hopefully will give you a start if you do not already have a vet.

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f21/ky-rabbit-savvy-vets-10081/

I put a splint on him to immobilize it until we can get into the vet tomorrow (hope the rabbit vet is there). He, of course, wouldn't leave it alone, so I had to make him an e collar out of a solo cup LOL

photo (11).jpg

Cute splint. Hope he gets better. I had my bun to a vet a few months back for a broken leg and he put her on confinement in a small cage. She was mad but she healed well. But I agree go to a good exotic vet. My vet is excellent and it makes a big difference to your animals health.

Aww poor little thing! But he does look so cute in that splint and cone!

Best wishes, I hope you can get him to a vet, and if not, at the very least get some pain killers for him.

Well, I called four exotic vets in the area (all of the ones that I know of) and none of them would hold a check, so we'll just have to hope that my splint does the trick. He's doing really well getting around on it and still eating with the cone on. I'm going to ask my Granny to watch him for me when I have to go to work and make sure that he leaves his leg alone. Can I try bitter apple and see if I can take the cone off?

Can I try bitter apple and see if I can take the cone off?

Some rabbits like the taste of bitter apple or some other bitter sprays. They are mostly made for dogs, so are formulated to go with their tastes. You can try a bitter spray, but might have to try a few to find one he doesn't like.
I have heard of people using ivory soap on baseboards to deter chewing, so you might be able to use that in some way.

Sure enough, the little turd likes the taste of the bitter apple. He's had his cone off since yesterday though, and for the most part has left it alone. I showed the pics of the leg before and after the splint to a vet that's in the same shopping center I work at. She said that is exactly what she would have done, but she warned me that since his growth plates aren't fused yet, there's a good possibility that when the splint comes off, if he's walking incorrectly on that foot at all, it can cause extreme bowing of the leg. If that happens I can either euthanize him or amputate the leg. Does anyone know how much that will likely cost? Has anyone had a rabbit with a leg that had to be amputated?

I have heard quotes for amputations around $1200, but it can vary. Rabbits do seem to adapt well to 2 legs. There may need to be some considerations to keep them from hopping up and down too much or at least too high as it can put too much pressure on the leg.

You may just need to wait and see what happens. It could be a good idea to re do the splint a few times over the next few weeks as he is growing. I don't really know about the leg bowing, but he might still be able to function well enough that he can keep the leg. Many animals that do have some deformity can get around quite well. I would not fret too much now, wait and see how it turns out. You might want to try to prepare just in case, like try to find some funding or even look into something like Care Credit. Hopefully you won't need to use it, but it can't hurt to be prepared just in case.

I rescued a stray dog about a year ago that ended up being heartworm positive. I tried to get Care Credit so I could keep her. Unfortunately my ex thought it was funny to sign up for credit cards using my name and social, add himself as an authorized user, and hit the town. When the marriage went south, I was saddled with all of this debt and had to file bankruptcy. I now don't qualify for anything. I'm having to pay for school out of pocket because I couldn't get loans to cover it all. Oh, Olive (the dog with heartworms) had to go to a rescue, is now heartworm free, and lives in Florida. If it's $1200, he'll have to be euthanized. No way I can afford that. I'm barely keeping myself going as it is.

If the break is at the wrist, be cautious as to how far up the splint goes... the splint and wrap should not be immpobilizing the "elbow" joint... otherwise, it will cause your bun to have a straight "pegleg" gait - can be permanently damaging to the nerves in the toes (dealt with friend's rabbit with a similar break, and the vet wrapped the leg up straight up and down - permanent damage to the leg, because the bun was grinding his toes into the ground due to body weight).

A good tool for splinting and wrapping is the casts that you can get for broken human fingers... Those are often the right size, and can be modified to fit.
To prevent rubbing and chafing on the skin, you can collect loose/shedded/brushed out fur from the pen area, and use the fur to pad out the wrap - reduces splint rub on the skin significantly.

You've probably already done this, but jumping up/multi-level places wouldn't be conducive to good healing right now - main floor action only, and smaller enclosed spaces.

LOL... That's actually exactly what I used. The ones that have metal on the outside and the blue foam on the inside. He's so tiny, that his leg fit perfectly in the splint.. I did have to break the splint to make it fit and I took it just below the elbow, so he can still move the elbow. I had two of my vet tech friends guiding me. Not ideal, but I did the best with what I had. Also watched you tube videos on splinting. Apart from some redneck duct taping his Chihuahua's shattered leg, most of them were pretty informative. I may not be much better than the redneck, but at least I put some effort into it. He is in a "hospital cage" right now. It's 24 x 14 x 14H. I was told to keep him in there while the splint is on. Then he can go into a bigger single-level cage. I was also told to take the splint off and rewrap it weekly to make sure he's not outgrowing it and to check for chaffing or anything unusual. Next week he's getting blue/green w/stars vetrap. No more hot pink!

It sounds like you've got some sound advice regarding the leg, and it's good to know that he's coping well. I hope it continues to heal well :)

Back