Broken leg... Proper Info.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yield

leo (they/them)
Reaction score
[align=center]Sabriel snapped his front, left leg today.
These are the X-rays.
IMG-0001-00003.jpg

IMG-0001-00002.jpg

IMG-0001-00001.jpg

Since it's broken so clear and straight or whatever, the cast might not work, and the bones might just rub back and forth.

Then I have three options.
Surgery to fix it.
Amputate the leg.
Both are risky due to the fact they would have to put him under.

Or put him to sleep. Which I am not going to do that unless there is no chance or if he is suffering, I love him way too much...

I just don't know what to feel I guess. I've been crying all day. My head hurts so bad.

What are three-legged bunnies like? I don't even know what would be better.

This is him in his poor cast and cone:
2-2.jpg

He's going to be on antibiotics just in case he got bitten or hurt by Soleil (they didn't see anything.. but) and then on pain medication.

Here's the medications:

Metacam 1 mg/ml #1.5mls
Give 0.2 mls by mouth once a day.

Baytril 20 mg/ml #7.5 mls
Give 0.5 mls by mouth every 12 hours until gone.

He's around 4lbs I think.

We have to get the bandages changed on Monday because of the swelling, and then we have to get them changed once a week. Unless they get wet. If they get wet we have to change them within 24 hrs. All this done by a vet.

This is where we had gone:
http://www.aec4pets.com/

The lady we talked to seemed to be very knowledgeable with rabbits.

If you're wondering how this happened- my newest bunny, Soleil (whom we took back to Huron Valley Humane Society because we couldn't risk my other bunnies being attacked again) got out of her pen and attacked Solara and Sabriel through the pen. She seeked them out- and I know this because she had been grunting at the edge of her pen for a while. She hates other rabbits (which I had no idea until now).

Well I woke up to them all fighting through the pen.. I can hardly remember it because I was half asleep, and anyways, I went and saw Sabriel after I got Soleil in her cage, in the back of his cage (attached to his pen) and he was hunched over and HIS FOOT WAS BENT THE WRONG WAY. I moved it slightly and it was completely limp. He must have gotten it stuck in the pen bars when fighting Soleil.

I'm so upset, but Sabriel seems to be not as "out of it" from the anesthesia earlier. He sooo hates the cone.

[align=center]I really want someone to reply D=

Have your bunny(s) ever broken a leg?

Poor sabriel!! This must be soo stressful for you! :( no matter what you choose for his leg I hope he has a speedy recovery! Sabriel will be in our prayers today. :)

Dustiechick wrote:
Poor sabriel!! This must be soo stressful for you! :( no matter what you choose for his leg I hope he has a speedy recovery! Sabriel will be in our prayers today. :)

[align=center]Thank you so much!
He is eating hay and peeing and pooping now so that is a great sign!
Thank you so much again <3

I don't know much. The weekends are always slow. I will put a note to mods to see. I do know of bunnies that heal from broken bones fine and also some that live fine with three legs.

[align=center]Oh, also- he's missing half his toe on his left paw as well if you guys didnt notice!

I have no idea how that happened though =]
He came to us like that.

I seen this earlier (that your buns got into a fight)and I feel so bad for your bunny. I have a 3 legged bunny but it's his back leg thats missing.

I hope everything turns out fine for him.

He'll be fine I'm sure. There is a fear of infection, but you acted quickly so that shouldn't be an issue. The bone will knit, it may not knit straight, but I personally would try to leave it, although this is a somewhat controversial treatment. You'll find that 1/3 of the vets will want to do surgery with a pin, 1/3 will want to amputate and the other third will want to leave it to mend.

The amputation isn't as traumatic as it sounds, the rabbits get along fine with three legs. They also do well with a crooked leg. (I have one like that, he has no pain response, no motility issues). I'm less enthusiastic about the surgery, but that's me. I've seen a few end badly.

More research is probably good, but broken bones are just one of those life challenges that happens to humans and rabbits, it certainly isn't a death sentence, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Its great that he's eating. :)

sas :clover:

[align=center]Oh my gosh, thanks so much for all the replies!

@Ali: Thanks for doing that =]

@April: Thanks so much =]

@sas: I was thinking about that, because I've heard of bunnies with crooked legs. I just hope it doesn't have to come down to surgery/amputation. That can cost up to 2000$ and we do not have that money right now. I was more open to the amputation than the fixing it with surgery. That is the better option if the splint doesn't work, right?

@Pam: Thank you =]

I think you are going to have to go with what your vet says on this one. If it doesn't heal well with the cast, and is a bit crooked, it should be ok if he can still get around fine. Some bunnies get arthritis in the front paws and have crooked joints and do ok. I am glad he's coping with it well.

Prince broke his leg back in May 2010 and I had it fixed. The vet put a pin in it and it took 10 weeks to heal. Veggies with calcium and hay with calcium that is safe for the rabbit to have all the time will help that broken bone heal. Prince is doing okay with his leg, he uses it sometimes, I am trying to get him to use it more. But your bunny will be okay. I had options when Prince broke his leg, either see if I was able to get approved for care credit, put him down, or let him suffer. I was not going to let him suffer, so I had two options and let me tell you I was glad that I was approved for care credit, because I would've had to put him down, because I could not see letting him suffer with a broken leg.

Like I said, "Your Sabriel will be okay", he will need help with healing though. Love and veggies with calcium that he can have all the time. Hay, timothy and orchard grass, are good sources of hay that have calcium in them and that he can have all the time.

Sweetie wrote:
Prince broke his leg back in May 2010 and I had it fixed. The vet put a pin in it and it took 10 weeks to heal. Veggies with calcium and hay with calcium that is safe for the rabbit to have all the time will help that broken bone heal. Prince is doing okay with his leg, he uses it sometimes, I am trying to get him to use it more. But your bunny will be okay. I had options when Prince broke his leg, either see if I was able to get approved for care credit, put him down, or let him suffer. I was not going to let him suffer, so I had two options and let me tell you I was glad that I was approved for care credit, because I would've had to put him down, because I could not see letting him suffer with a broken leg.

Like I said, "Your Sabriel will be okay", he will need help with healing though. Love and veggies with calcium that he can have all the time. Hay, timothy and orchard grass, are good sources of hay that have calcium in them and that he can have all the time.

[align=center]Thank you for the story! It makes me feel a lot better! I am pretty sure we have care credit. What does that do?

Do you know what veggies have a lot of calcium? He REALLY likes dandelion greens and that's all he'll really eat right now, and some curly parsley and a tiny bit of escarole. He is eating a lot of timothy hay too. But only when his cone is off and I've been hand-feeding him.

You are very welcome. I know that spinach has calcium in it. Here is a list of safe veggies:

alfalfa sprouts, basil, beet greens, broccoli leaves, brussels sprouts, carrot and carrot tops, cilantro, collard greens, endive, green peppers, parsley, romaine lettuce, kale, outer cabbage leaves, raspberry leaves, wheat grass, pea pods(not the peas), squash, raddichio, and dandelion leaves.

Be sure to keep monitoring for damage to the shoulder and elbow, and to the toes from him stumping around on that cast. Regular dressing assessment is needed. My friend's rabbit had irrevocable damage from the toes being mashed from stumping about. I'm sure you and your vet are aware of this... just wanted to throw it out there.

NorthernAutumn wrote:
Be sure to keep monitoring for damage to the shoulder and elbow, and to the toes from him stumping around on that cast. Regular dressing assessment is needed. My friend's rabbit had irrevocable damage from the toes being mashed from stumping about. I'm sure you and your vet are aware of this... just wanted to throw it out there.

[align=center]Actually she said nothing about that...

[align=center]The vet visit went very well today! Dr. Parks took Sabriel in the back this time, because there were no rooms open and she said the following things when she got back:

-He's the same weight.
-He was more feisty than usual.
-His leg has healed substantially more since last week.
-We'll do an X-Ray next week.
-His leg is crooked.
-Hopefully he'll be done with his cast and such in the next two weeks or so.

Such great news! I am SOOO happy!

[align=center]Sabriel's in a soft cast without the splint and he's more restricted than before so by next week he should be without a cast and we have to watch him a whole LOT. I'm so nervous but excited. I hope he does okay.

His leg looks so sad with the cast off. It's skinny, and there's some sores on it or whatever from the tape ripping his fur off and stuff. But the vet said it'll clear up quickly after he's out of his cast.

The bend where his leg is healing is about 15 degrees off.. (bent inwards). The break feels like another elbow. But I think it'll not look so drastic after it's done healing completely. The bone that is growing back- the vet lemme feel it.. it feels so crazy!

When we got him from the vet he spazzed out and went right in his litterbox and peed with a relieved squeaking noise XD;; He'd been holding it (we went in Border's briefly after the vet)... what a good boy XD Didn't pee in the carrier 8D

He's growing much more feisty.. I know he can feel that the casting stuff and such will be over SOON!

Latest posts

Back