Broken claw?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mubunny

Reaction score
After looking at Poplar's foot after a bunny date I noticed his claw is basically at a 90 degree angle from his toe. There is no blood on his foot and he doesn't walk any different. He is a hider and I've never been close enough to him to notice it before so could it just be the way his toe nail is?

Also is there a rabbit vet around Edmonton anyone knows about that would be open at this time? Where can I take him to be sure he's ok?

It has moved to be straight up so obviously it's broken. It looks like it's broken near the root or at the root. Can it still grow out. Should I clip it? He's still nervous from the date so I don't want to stress him out more by trying to clip his nails for the first time especially if it hurts.
Also I should say he doesn't seem to care. He isn't walking any differently (he rarely walks anyway). He is laying down in his box and has been grooming.

Hi there.
I think all of the vet places are closed by now. There are 2 emergency vets that I know of (1 downtown and 1 in the south side) but they are very expensive and not very knowledgeable on rabbits.

If your bunny does not seem to be in any pain then maybe you could wait until tomorrow and bring him to a rabbit experienced vet. Do you have one yet?
If not please check this out:
Alberta Rabbit Savvy Vets

Here are the phone numbers for the emergency clinics. You could give them a call and explain your situation. They can then assess whether it's an emergency or not.

Edmonton Veterinarian's Emergency Clinic
11104-102 Ave
(780) 433-9505

Animal Emergency Hospital South at (780) 436-5880

Thank you. I haven't needed to bring him anywhere since I've only had him for two weeks and a bit. Hopefully a broken claw will be the biggest problem he has.

Yup. I think they were both on the humane society webpage. I know Poplar was since he was there for a long time.

I think both of them have been there for a while. I'm so glad they've found a home!

For future reference, most vet clinics will not charge you for your first visit if you tell them your bunny came from the Humane Society. This only applies to the consultation, not the medication or anything else you may need.

That's really good to know and it's be nice to know for sure whether or not something has to be done or if he'll be fine on his own.

There isn't a ton you can do for broken toes, but an emergency vet will at least be able to tell you the extent of the damage and get some pain meds prescribed for him. He'll probably just need a few weeks of reduced activity to let it heal.

I'm assuming from the description this is a broken nail, not a broken toe. Nails break all the time, they'll be bent sideways or upwards and eventually the rabbit will chew it or shake it off.

Broken toes are pretty rare in my experience, the nail will break before the toe. If the nail is bent, it's unlikely to involve the toe.

Side note: Watch for 'missiles', I had Pipp do a hard foot flick when she had a bent nail and the thing came whizzing past my head like a bullet, darn near took my eye out. ;)

ETA: REALLY no need for an ER Vet.

sas :bunnydance:

Turns out nothing was even broken. I finally got him to sit nicely in my lap so I could examine it further and it's just bent at a weird angle. I assume from trying to dash on the tile. A little snip snip and the problem was solved. First time clipping nails too :D

Mubunny wrote:
First time clipping nails too :D

That's awesome!

Snuff has a nail that is jacked up all touknowwhat. It doesn't bother him. Something must've happened to him when he was younger. Same with the minirex, Angel that I had, her little pinky toe nail was messed up too, never bothered her either. So, hopefully, if it's just the nail, no worries.:) I know you can tell it in a pic of him somewhere, cuz a former friend of mine pointed it out. I'll see if I can find which one so you can see for reference.:D

Latest posts

Back