broken claw

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little more information may also help, too!

it might help answer questions like :

*is it bleeding?
* when did you notice this?

and when Theo broke his claw I didn't cut it off, or was it hanging? If its bleeding you may want to try putting flour on it to help stop the bleeding, then travel to the vet, but I unfortunately don't have the best answer to this :/

just thought i might try and help :]

-Kuchiki

Hi! Moved this to the Infirmary for you.

When you say the claw is broken, do you mean just the nail has been broken? If so, it would be best to clean up any jagged edges with a trimmer, like you said, and use styptic powder, flour, or cornstarch to stop the bleeding. She may need a few days rest to give it some time to heal. Then, it may or may not grow back. I recommend looking into the source of the broken claw, ie was it wire flooring, getting her toe stuck in something, so that you can remedy that to prevent it from happening in the future.

If it is broken bones in her foot or toe, that requires immediate vet care.

thanks for your help. she was digging in the garden and must have hit a stone or something. bit of a mystery. the claw had broken above the quick so trimmed off as much below as possible. hoping it will heal naturally as trimming it off will make it bleed again. she can run ok so hopefully time will tell.

thanks for your help:biggrin2:

Broken nails aren't any big deal. Stop the bleeding, cut any hanging pieces, as mentioned previously. From there it will heal naturally within days. :)

Latest posts

Back