broken bond? Is that possible?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Usagi_Chan

Reaction score
Pegasus and Thumper were well bonded and never fought. I tried to introduce Nigel to the two but Thumper hated him. She chased and they fought, one time even requiring a vet visit to sew Thumper up. Pegasus recently died (Feb 15) so I tried bonding Thumper with Nigel. By March 1 they were grooming each other and all seemed well.

I have a room in a house I share with others so the bunnies are loose in that room. Two days ago they inexplicably fought. I have now installed a fence more or less down the middle of the room. I switch them a few times a day so neither one establishes a "claim" to either side of the room. I don't want marking on the rug. Stopping any claims has seemed to stop marking as well. I have opened the fence a few times and let them share the area they had peacefully shared before. Every time they seem to get along for a while then get into a fight. This is exasperating. I am an older gentleman and climbing over this fence to go in and out of the room is a real pain. I can't arrange the room so I spend my time near the door.

This is a new place. We moved here after Pegasus died so this room is "neutral territory." However Thumper and Pegasus used to lay under their cage a lot so maybe Thumper is claiming that particular part of this room. Perhaps she is still expecting to see Pegasus again? I think her hatred of Nigel before may have been rooted in being protective of her man and she wasn't interested in having more than one man.

Behavior: Just before they fight Thumper goes head to head with Nigel and bows her head down. It appears to me that she wants him to groom her. He refuses. After a short time she seems to get fed up and attacks him.

One of my main fears is their unpredictability. I fear leaving them alone and most likely won't do that any more, even if they eventually seem well bonded.

Thumper is 9 and Nigel is 3 1/2. Nine or not, Thumper acts like an enraged one-year-old and has plenty of energy for the chase. Being a mini-rex her short fur doesn't protect her anywhere near as much as Nigel's very long hair protects him.

Any thoughts or ideas?

How long ago was the bad fight between Thumper and Nigel? I have heard that rabbits have a very good memory when it comes to fighting and they hold grudges for a while. So it could be that fight that is holding them back.

I also have a personal theory about buns who lose their mate. It's normally said that if they were bonded before then that's good-- they should be able to bond again. However, I don't wonder if it's the exact opposite. I have read dozens and dozens of bonding stories and researched quite a bit about bonding and I swear whenever there is a bun who loses a mate, it's like they are even more resistant to bonding to a new bun!! I can't find any literature to back up my theory but I can only say I've read several scenarios where that's the case so I don't wonder if that is what is happening here. Thumper wants Pegasus :(

I agree not to leave them alone and I will say that Thumpers age is a bit of a concern. Fighting is very stressful on rabbits. I know you say she is spunky for her age but 9 1/2 is getting up there to force a bond maybe.....?

And have they lived next to each other or in the same room all their lives? I know thy were bonded before when Pegasus was around, but if they still could smell and see each other that resentment could have been cultivated over the years and may be hard to break through. I also agree with you that nigels refusal to groom is probably what is causing the fights. Grooming is very important in bunny speak. You could maybe try wiping applesauce on Thumpers head to see if it will get Nigel to groom. That's a common technique to encourage grooming.

Lastly, I will refer you to my favorite bonding article which covered a lot. I give it to everyone. There are some techniques described like the wear them down method or stressing them but again i guess it would be up to you on whether or not to use them. I just am cautious for your buns because of Thumpers age.

Best of luck I sure wish there was an easy solution to situations like these. It is tough keeping two seperate rabbits.

And I'm am so sorry for the loss of Pegasus.

Here is the article:

http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/bond.shtml

Last edited:
when my girls' bond has inexplicably broken in the past (same-sex bonds are tricky like that), I've been able to fix it by doing a play-date or two on 100% neutral territory (somewhere neither rabbit has ever been) - I'd take a playpen and the bunnies over to my neighbor's house and set them up in her kitchen (which had the added bonus of a little poodle-type dog staring at them the whole time - mild stress like a staring dog, a car ride, being in a slippery bath tub, etc. can help rabbits look to each other for comfort).

I would try that and/or a couple car rides (you'll want someone riding with you in the back seat so they can separate the rabbits if a fight breaks out). if that doesn't work, you'll need to separate the rabbits completely (different rooms so they can't see/smell each other) for 3-4 weeks to let them forget about each other and their fighting... then start the bonding process over from scratch.

We have a back porch which is neutral territory. Both spent the afternoon there today with mild supervision. My room-mate and I were working in a garden a little ways away. The two bunnies were grooming each other and were getting along just fine. I put them in the room after supper and stayed with them. They didn't show any aggression toward each other. However they did keep their distance from each other. I had to go to work so I put up the fence again to keep them separated. Both seemed somewhat upset to be separated. They went to the fence and acted friendly toward each other. Yesterday they weren't like that. They went to the fence and tried to get at each other, biting the fence and acting aggressive.

@ agnesthelion -- Thanks for the link
You may be right about Pegasus. I have stopped crying every day for him but he still pops into my mind quite often and I miss him a lot. Perhaps it's that way with Thumper. She was very close to him and they were buddies for about 5 1/2 years. I've taught her quite a few tricks using clicker-training. She is quite intelligent. I believe it's quite possible that at times she might want her Pegasus and she could resent Nigel as an unworthy replacement.

Yes Thumper is getting to be a senior bunny. Her birthday is this month, but I don't know the exact day. I got her when she was 3. She is quite spunky and I had hoped that having a new friend in Nigel would keep her from becoming depressed over losing Pegasus. That seems to be working because much of the time she gets along well with Nigel. I realize bonding can be stressful but her and Nigel are not exactly total strangers. She has accepted him before in some situations.

I'll may try the applesauce or banana on Thumper's head to see if he'll respond to that. He is reserved about taking treats, even those that he likes. He takes them but is not overly enthusiastic like Thumper. She will literally do somersaults for her favorite treats.

The bad fight was about 1 1/2 years ago. Even though I was not able to make a three-way bond, they have often shared space without fighting. I used to take all three in the car and also in a pet stroller. None are afraid of rides and are quite used to riding in a car. Thumper was always fiercely protective of her Pegasus and would not let Nigel into her territory but she was always accepting of him when it was neutral territory.

Thumper is closely bonded with me. I often lay on the floor with her and caress her. She purrs contentedly and closes her eyes. I did that with her this evening while Nigel lay on the other side of the room. I'm also quite close to him.

I think they are bonded. I think the bond just needs time to strengthen. I think I'll try to keep them in neutral territory like to porch as much as possible and keep them separated when I'm not there to break up any fights.

@ Imbrium
Thanks. It's good to know that this can happen, that is, they can be bonded but still get into problems.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back