Broken Black Buck

Help Support RabbitsOnline:

Lise-Anne

Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2019
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Location
Canada
I am wanting to buy a broken black buck (he has black otter and broken otter in his line, but not sure if he’s a carrier). What colour would be best to breed him with?

also, I know harlequins aren’t showable, but what would breeding him to a harlequin produce? I’m trying so hard to learn genetics, but I’m not super confident.

TIA!
 

SableSteel

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2018
Messages
510
Reaction score
360
Location
Southwest USA
What breed is this? Breeding to a solid black is probably the safest bet if you want showable colors in any case. Blacks can't carry otter, but if you bred to an otter you can get some otters and broken otters.
If you are wanting showable colors I'd advise breeding to a harlequin. You'd likely get chestnuts and broken chestnuts, but since they carry harlequin they can get dark stripes or spots which make them unshowable.
 

Paully

New Member
Joined
May 15, 2020
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Location
Canton
I am wanting to buy a broken black buck (he has black otter and broken otter in his line, but not sure if he’s a carrier). What colour would be best to breed him with?

also, I know harlequins aren’t showable, but what would breeding him to a harlequin produce? I’m trying so hard to learn genetics, but I’m not super confident.

TIA!
Can u breed a blue eyed white to a blue otter
 

Lise-Anne

Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2019
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Location
Canada
What breed is this? Breeding to a solid black is probably the safest bet if you want showable colors in any case. Blacks can't carry otter, but if you bred to an otter you can get some otters and broken otters.
If you are wanting showable colors I'd advise breeding to a harlequin. You'd likely get chestnuts and broken chestnuts, but since they carry harlequin they can get dark stripes or spots which make them unshowable.
Thank you for your reply! They are Holland Lops. Would you breed a broken to a broken? I know you can get Charlie’s...
 

SableSteel

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2018
Messages
510
Reaction score
360
Location
Southwest USA
What breed is this? Breeding to a solid black is probably the safest bet if you want showable colors in any case. Blacks can't carry otter, but if you bred to an otter you can get some otters and broken otters.
If you are wanting showable colors I'd advise not breeding to a harlequin. You'd likely get chestnuts and broken chestnuts, but since they carry harlequin they can get dark stripes or spots which make them unshowable.
Oops sorry I tried to edit this, but I'm bad with forums lol. I'd advise not breeding to a harlequin is what I meant to say.

If you really don't want charlies then you shouldn't breed broken to broken. Some people do; you've got to weight the risks. Each kit from a broken x broken pairing has a 25% chance of being charlie, 50% chance of being broken and 25% chance of being solid
 

Lise-Anne

Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2019
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Location
Canada
Oops sorry I tried to edit this, but I'm bad with forums lol. I'd advise not breeding to a harlequin is what I meant to say.

If you really don't want charlies then you shouldn't breed broken to broken. Some people do; you've got to weight the risks. Each kit from a broken x broken pairing has a 25% chance of being charlie, 50% chance of being broken and 25% chance of being solid
Thank you! What about breeding a broken black to a marten?
 

SableSteel

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2018
Messages
510
Reaction score
360
Location
Southwest USA
To a silver marten or a sable marten?
Either way you are likely going to get black otter & broken black otter, unless the holland carries chinchilla, shaded (sable, not tort), himi or rew (the most common one of those would be "sable point" - if the black is out of a sable point you are also likely to get martens alongside the otters.)
 

Lise-Anne

Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2019
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Location
Canada
To a silver marten or a sable marten?
Either way you are likely going to get black otter & broken black otter, unless the holland carries chinchilla, shaded (sable, not tort), himi or rew (the most common one of those would be "sable point" - if the black is out of a sable point you are also likely to get martens alongside the otters.)
I was thinking a silver marten, but I honestly don’t know what the difference is, lol! Thank you so much! You’ve been so helpful!
 

Latest posts

Top