Bringing Kiwi Home Tomorrow....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KiwisMom

Reaction score
Well tomorrow is the big day.... we get to pick up Kiwi and welcome her into our home! Any suggestions on anything I need to do to have the least stressful homecoming possible? She's a little over 8 weeks old and coming from the breeder. I bought a fuzzy pad for her carrier and put a small fluffy stuffed animal in there for her for the ride home. Her cage is all set up and ready to go!

From this post and the one I read earlier, sounds like you are good fur go. Just make sure you use the same feed as the breeder has been using and if youfeel you need to switch, do it gradually. I am sure you have already been informed.

Keep it nice and quiet and let her adapt in her new enviorment and cage for at least 24 hours. I feel that works best for me.

Make sure you get food from the breeder. Try to get at least 1 weeks worth, but 2-3 if you can. You will use this to switch her over to what ever you choose to feed.

If it is a long trip, like over an hour, bring water for her. Ask if she uses a bottle or bowl and bring that along with some fresh water. Don't put it in the carrier as it will spill or leak, but have it available. You can stop along the trip and offer it if you need to.

Once you get her home, see if she will come out of the carrier on her own. If not, take the top off and lift her out rather than trying to pull her out the front. Leave her be for a while so she can get used to being in the new area. If you want to take pictures, don't use the flash and wait a couple hours to do them.
If she is outgoing and wanting to interact with you, you can do it but don't do too much at first. You still want her to settle in well and reduce the stress.

Yep, already bought a big bag of the same rabbit feed the breeder uses. I plan on staying on the same food. It's only a short ride home, less than 15 minutes. Thanks for the info on the carrier. The bunny seemed pretty layed back when we seen her on Monday. The breeder had her out on a stand, grooming her, and she was even able to hold her like a baby to groom her belly. She so gentle and lovable! Can't wait to see her hop around and explore her new environment.

Back