Bringing Friskie & Poopers To The Vet...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpalamar

Reaction score
On Friday I'm bringing Friskie and Poopers to the vet for their first exam, plus to find out the genders and ages.While I'm there is there any 'standard' questions I should ask the vet? I've never brought buns to a vet before so I don't quite know what to expect. I live in the country so, should I ask about flees or anything? I'm sorry if this sounds stupid, but I just don't know what I'm in for.

Melissa

Ask the vet to explain what he is doing, and why. He will probably check teeth, eyes, nails, fur, heart, chest,stomach, etc, and if you get him to explain to you you will learn a lot, also know what to ask the vet to check next time, and also, you will know that the vet knows what he is talking about.

Maybe ask about ideal weight for that bunny, and whether s/he is overweight/underweight, etc.

If there is anything about either of them that has concerned you, in anyway, then note that down and ask about whether that is normal, etc.

Also ask about any jabs they might need, how old/when/how often, etc.

Also, maybe ask about whether they suggest using any meds, i.e. flea meds or anything, periodically, so as to prevent a problem, or combat one before it gets bad.

That's all I could think of, but I may be missing something really obvious, lol.

If you do miss something, then you can always phone back afterwards and ask to talkto the vet again. I did that once before and they were fine.

Is this a rabbit-savvy vet? Here's some good questions to ask to check up on their bunny knowledge:

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/vet.html

Don't worry about asking about vaccinations, there aren't any for rabbits in Canada or the US. Some vets vaccinate rabbits for rabies but it's not approved for them and they aren't carriers anyway.

You can ask him to demonstrate how to clip nails.

Also ask at what age he'll do spays and neuters. Each vet is different. Some will neuter as soon as the testicles drop,others wait for a certain age. Some will do girls before 6months, others won't. Etc.

A good question might be "What do you wish all your bunny-owning clients knew?" Mine wishes people wouldn't wait till the rabbit was on it's death bed before finally calling the vet (if the rabbit isn't eating, don't wait 3 days). And that more people fed hay.

Oh, my vet prefers if I call him with questions if I'm not sure about something. Better sooner than later, and better a phone call than an unnecessary appointment.;)

Latest posts

Back