Breeding?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom

Reaction score
i'm sure this gets asked a lot but Im new to rabbits really so....

My gilfriend has had rabbits for many years and I was thinking ofgetting a 2nd rabbit to give the one year old ned-dwaf she has atm somecompany. I have been told different things regarding same sex company(its a male) and think that maybe we could try a male / female pair.

I have in the past had a male/ femal gerbil par and they had 36 youngover 3 years with only 1 death. I would guess that iomportant things toconsider would be that the pair were healthy and happy in theirenviroment, but what other important things would we need to cover tomake all things run as smoothly as possible.

I am aware that the pair could be opperated on the stop them having offspring but I would rather let them live a natural life.

any help would be appreciated.

I would highly suggest not getting him agirlfriend as you are not wanting to get either fixed. There is alreadyan over propulation of rabbits and there is absolutely no need tocontribute moreto it. Rabbits multiply fast! One doehad a litter and 4.5 weeks later she had her second, both litters of 9.Thats 18 babies in a month! If you multiply that by the months andyears, you are looking at a very large amount of rabbits. Iwould suggest leaving him as a single rabbit unless you plan on gettinghim, and the doe fixed.

"Natural" is not always better. If lefttogether all the time, you're going to have kits coming out of yourears...unless the buck kills them...if you leave him in with mom& babies. I did do this once, just to see what wouldhappen. In this particular case, the buck was Mark, dwarfHotot, and he was very protective of the kits. However, Ihave understood that this was unusual. Also, if you keepbreeding over & over & over, you're going to wear thedoe out. And, what are you going to do with all of thekits??? My suggestion...very strong one...have twocages. You can have them side by side. If youreally want babies, then you can put them together for breeding, butthen you remove the doe and put her back in her own quarters.That gives you 27 to 28 days to get your nest box and anything elseready that you need for babies...including what you are going to dowith them.

I definately would not try to put two bucks together!!! Theonly way this usually works is if they are littermates and havenever been separated. But even then, you will eventually runinto TROUBLE.

My personal opinionis that youshould get both fixed or seperate cages. There is alot involved inbreeding rabbits. It is not a decision that should be made lightly. Youhope it doesn't happen but so many things can go wrong that could killyour doe and the kits. Breeding your rabbits responsibly also meansfinding good homes for each and every baby born. That is 72 homes inone year if she only has 6 kits a litter. You also need to keep thebuck away from the female, once she is breed, which means a seperatecage for him. You can not keep them together becase they willcontinually breed. If he doesn't kill the kits, chances areshe will be so stressed with him there that she will kill the kits.

I am not trying to be mean. If that is how it comes across then I amtruly sorry. I just want you to know it is never a good idea to letthem breed all the time and be natural.

Tina

I recommend *not* breeding due to potentialhealth risks and the high cost of veterinary care. We had adoe who had to have a C section this year ($175) and other who wasretaining her kits and required hormone injections ($60).

You'll find that in compact quarters, the buck and doe may fight, ofthe buck may continually "ride" the doe and pester her continuallytrying to mate.

I've also known of instances where the doe has kicked the doe in thescrotum and surgery was required. Another case where the doedisemboweled a buck by kicking him in the stomach.

The realities of the "natural" way can lead to some expensive surgical bills.

Pam

I agree with pam here. does that do not want tobreed can castrate or partially castrate bucks i have seen it.Also werei live baby rabbits are not easy to sell.With dwarf does the firstlitter is commonly born dead. some dwarf does never have livebabies.Many times they refuse to feed the babies and hand raising themis very difficult.bluebird

Bringing this back for Bonnie and Clide.

-Carolyn

I'll just throw my two cents in here and alsostrongly suggest spaying and neutering your bunnies. I work inan animal shelter, and we are inundated with unexpected litters andexcess bunnies every day. Unless you are a professional breeder, pleasedon't breed your rabbits. I'd like to work myself out of a job.

~M

Everyone makes excellent points.

I'd also like to note that the environment in which a bunny must livein is most important. It should be a proper supply of airflow, andprotection against the wind, rain, and snow, and always remain dry andclean.

You'll have to make sure they're warm in the winter and cool in thesummer--not too warm, and not too cool. You'll have to know how to dealwith emergencies. (Even knowing how to deal with emergencies, you stillhave heartaches with breeding.)
You also have to have adequate space in order to separate the littleones when necessary and provide them with cages and all of their needs.

-Carolyn

Also, make sure you get BOTH bunniesfixed. If you only get the buck fixed, your female couldeasily get cancer if not spayed. If you only spay the doe,then the buck will constantly be trying to mount her, stressing herout, and I'm sure causing some agressiveness on either side...I'm noexpert, but PLEASE get them both fixed.

-Carrie

Latest posts

Back