Breeding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baby_Rosie_Cilantro

Reaction score
Would you consider breeding your bunnies, when you are a child in your youth? 🐰❤️🐰

no, I think that children & youths should not breed animals, because often (not always) they are not mature enough to have the responsibility of not only a pet, but a litter of kits as well

What age are you referring to? Or are you asking if you should breed? A young child obviously shouldn't breed but if you're a pre teen or around that age and you are mature and have experience with rabbits, I think it's fine. I'm 17 and I bred for the first time when I was 12. I think if you are educated and breed responsibly that it is fine and if you're young you should have guidance from your parents or someone.

Last edited:
I guess it would depend on the kid and the parents. Most kids would not have the finances to care for one rabbit, let alone a few breeding ones and babies. If it was done as a family thing, for the right reasons (not to see birth, or for pets, or becasue they are cute), it could be ok to do. I know ARBA does encourage youth to breed and show, but it seems that most of the youth have parents who breed or are involved in 4-H or FFA, so have some more adult help. A child breeding on their own without parental or adult help and supervision is apt to not end well.

I started raising rabbits when I was 13. My parents helped financially, but the work, research, etc., was my responsibility.

I always encourage youth to raise and show rabbits, but it does take parental guidance. Parents don't need to be directly involved, but they should be traveling with their child to shows, overseeing sales, etc. I know kids who have gotten into rabbits "on their own" very young and didn't have the social skills to be successful. There are many youth who have the knowledge and experience to care for the animals themselves, but children also need to know or learn how to handle the business side of things without burning bridges.

i started breeding when i was 12. that is when i got a job. i payed for everything myself and still do (i am 16 now). and at the moment i have 12 rabbits not counting 20 babies and another doe due next month.

I don't have the space for breeding, nor do I have the patience. I'm 22 so I'm not really in my youth (compared to posters in this thread, anyway) but I dote on my two bunnies, and if I were to breed them, I don't think I'd be able to. I enjoy my rabbits as pets.

Although I love going to the breeder's place and petting all the bunnies and seeing the tiny little babbies... ;3;

I am 15. I just started breeding my first time a week ago! I have son TONS of research. My brother calls me a rabbit geek. I think I am being a pretty responsible rabbit keeper and I probably do too much research, but it really can't hurt.

Also, as for the finances, my parents have helped me out thus far. However, I am getting a job very soon and I will pay for the rabbits completely. I will also join 4H so I can get to know who else in the area breeds, sells, and buys rabbits.

When I have a job, I will be able to keep more rabbits at a time. The cages are really the biggest expense, so when I can buy them, I can keep more rabbits.

Last edited:
Breeding rabbits is wrong no matter how old or young.. There are tons of homless bunnies in shelters that need adopting ,love and someone to take care of them and thats not to mention the bunnies families release in the wild when they/there kids don't want them anymore its just wrong to breed when theres too many rabbits and not enough ppl to love them

Breeding rabbits is wrong no matter how old or young.. There are tons of homless bunnies in shelters that need adopting ,love and someone to take care of them and thats not to mention the bunnies families release in the wild when they/there kids don't want them anymore its just wrong to breed when theres too many rabbits and not enough ppl to love them

Breeding isn't wrong if you do it responsibly.

You cant b responsible for what happen or where those rabbits you breed end up. The fact still remains there's already too many bunnies and many are homeless its harder to care for a bunny so also there overshown by cats and dogs when it comes to adoption.

There's no reason for even one rabbit to be in a shelter. Selfishness on our part is the only reason we would keep them there. Discussions about rabbits as livestock are not permitted on this forum, but I'd be happy to talk to you via PM or email if you're interested in learning more about it.

Aside from that, rabbits in a shelter are not my responsibility, as a breeder. The rabbits that I buy, breed, sell, adopt, etc. are ALL taken care of and ALL have a home here permanently. I tell anyone who purchases or adopts a rabbit from us that they are welcome to bring it back at any time, no questions asked. If they choose to abandon it somewhere instead, that's on them.

Breeding any animal can be done responsibly, with no consequence to animals in shelters.

It's okay if you feel differently, but that would not be a conversation for a thread about breeding.

I promote house bunnies and free range garden/house bunnies here in Nz & am considered a boutique breeder (small amounts) & breed for temperament. Our buns are pets first & breeders second. I have two Does and 2 bucks who breed and my other 3 neutered males and a special needs Doe who are pets only. I keep in contact with all the Baby buns families & ALL the buns will come back to me before touching paw in a shelter! Also future owners need to fill out a questionnaire to make sure they are going to good homes. My buns have to be neutered/spayed when they are older & go to their new homes in a bonded pair between 8-10weeks depending on the individual bunny. I also work with our local rabbit shelter & foster/rehabilitate bunnies to find suitable homes either with my potential clients or other families. My goal is to breed a perfect family bunny member with character and charisma who enjoys freedom in a backyard and sleeps inside at night where he/she can be apart of a family & educate NZ families on the right way to keep buns as pet! So no not all breeding is wrong and not all shelter buns are suitable for certain families but it does break my heart to see buns with out families but then people need to be educated properly!

Please keep on topic. This is not a discussion about whether breeding rabbits is right or wrong, it's about the appropriate age for a young person to start breeding.

In my opinion it's a hard question to answer, because I want to say that a young person shouldn't be responsible for not just the lives of the parent rabbits, but the babies as well. However at the same time, there are clearly young people on here who are very capable and careful breeders and know their stuff. The fact of the matter is, it's not for everybody, and the age you start breeding rabbits is really going to be dependent on the individual. Whether you're paying for everything yourself or getting financial assistance, whether you can handle it emotionally (in regards to possibly losing kits and does), be responsible enough for the care and maintenance of all the rabbits etc. The list goes on, while many people would probably consider themselves able to handle that, I should think there's only a small portion that can actually stick with it.

Just so you know, it is against the rules to say strong anti-breeding opinions on the forum. I'm not going to flag or anything, but I just want you to know.

Latest posts

Back