breeding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike

Reaction score
We have 2 rabbits, a 3 yr. old Newfoundland Dwarfmale and a 3 mo. Holland Lop female. Neither one is spayed or neuteredyet. We just got the Lop so we haven't put them in a cage together yetas Louie, our Dwarf has been a loner for 3yrs and we didn't know how hewould react to her. We are thinking about letting them mate. We letthem run in our backyard for awhile and all Louie wanted to do wasmount her, on the back and the head. Is it ok to mate these two and whywas Louie humping her head ? Any advice would be appreciated.
Mike

May be past tense already, Mike, if they've beentogether! Doesn't take much for a doe to getpregnant. We are virtually talking no foreplay,here. However, not assumingthe worst case scenariothat she isalready pregnant, there might be a number ofreasons for you to prevent mating.

First, there are literally thousands of rabbits lanquishing in rescuefacilities awaiting adoption, or more likely, extinction.Unless, you already have prospective homes for any potential bunnies,you would be adding to an already horrendous problem.

Secondly, not much of a market for cross breeds if you havethe slightest delusion that you might make a profit from breedingbunnies. Although, you might find an irreputable pet store totake some, or all, they are about maximizing profits and NOT making youwealthy. Pet store bunnies often are misrepresented topotential owners, ill cared for, and many prove to be expensive medicalliabilities in the long run.

Thirdly, the couple will reproduce about monthly unless you provideseparate facilities to keep them apart, which means duplicating allyour efforts and expenses for feed, caging, care, etc. If shehas a litter(s), you will have to provide housing and feed for thelittles ones until you can find outlets for them to go to.

If you do want to keep both together, it is high recommended that youneuter both animals in the interests of good health, longevity of life,and reduction in undesirable sexually induced behaviors like biting,aggressiveness in general, urine spraying(directional and highlyaccurate, I might add), mounting, circling, and others. Theyand you will lead much happier lives together if the buns areneutered. Ask any experienced multiple pet rabbit owner.

Best bet, Mike, for all concerned, is not to let them reproduce.

Buck

Welcome to the forum, Mike, :dude:

I have to just second Buck's advice to you. Personally, I think you'd be very wise to follow it.

Also, I'd like to add that as bluebird, a breeder on our board statedonce, it's hard enough as it is to sell her purebred rabbits.

Also, you have to be careful of putting the doe in with the buckbecause sometimes they can become quite territorial andfight. It's generally suggested to put thedoe in the buck'scage.

I'd like to note that the environment in which a bunny must live in ismost important. It should be a proper supply of airflow, and protectionagainst the wind, rain, and snow, and always remain dry and clean.

You'll have to make sure they're warm in the winter and cool in thesummer--not too warm, and not too cool. You'll have to know how to dealwith emergencies. (Even knowing how to deal with emergencies, you stillhave heartaches with breeding.)
You also have to have adequate space in order to separate the littleones when necessary and provide them with cages and all of their needs.

I'm copying some notes from our esteemed ARBA Judge, Pamnock as to the risks involved with breeding.

I recommend *not* breeding due to potential health risksand the high cost of veterinary care. We had a doe who had tohave a C section this year ($175) and other who was retaining her kitsand required hormone injections ($60).

You'll find that in compact quarters, the buck and doe may fight, ofthe buck may continually "ride" the doe and pester her continuallytrying to mate.

I've also known of instances where the doe has kicked the doe in thescrotum and surgery was required. Another case where the doedisemboweled a buck by kicking him in the stomach.

The realities of the "natural" way can lead to some expensive surgical bills.

Pam

Hope this helps you make your decision.

-Carolyn

Just a wee thing, why do they mount the heads of the other rabbits?

I just did a proper sexing of Max... and it's a she, so Henry will bekept well away until he is neutered. But why was he mountingher head? :?

Aye my little baby does used to do thattoo. Suppose it's just Henry being dominant asusual. I'm surprised he doesn't climb on my head to show mewho's boss! LOL

Thanks for all the great advice. We've kept themapart since that first romp in the backyard & definetly won't lethim get at her until we decide for sure how deeply involved we want toget into breeding.
They are both purebreds of different breeds, so if she did conceive, would the babies be considered, like, muts?

Latest posts

Back