Breeding troubles???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1234bunnies777

Reaction score
I was soooo excited because my two best holland lops were finallllyyyyy ready to be bread and after 2 full hours of me sitting there and watching them they finally bread but molly the momma was thumping a lot and normally my does don't do that is that normal???

She just was not in the mood. Sometimes the females do not want to breed and will not tolerate it. When that happens you just try again latter. Some say to try a few hours later or the next day or two. Also look at her private area. If it is a dark red or purplis color then that is the best time to breed them. If it is pale then you are pretty much guaranteed that it will not work.

Towards the end she finally agreed and put her rear up for him but do you think that it was successfull because if it was i don't want to risk injuring her by putting them together again tomorrow do you think I should?

In a successfull breed the male will fall off backwards from the doe. I normally make sure that they do that at least 3-4 times. As long as you watch them closely I see no problem with putting them back together later. It will most likely increase your chances of a litter. The doe might be more willing the 2nd time. Sometimes that is not the case but most of the time it is.

When we breed we let the buck get the doe two - three times then wait 1-3 hours and do it again. I normally dont wait 24 hours unless Im tired of breeding for that day. 2-4 times of him getting her should be enough. How old are they?

hollands are usually ready at 6-8mos old so you could have done it earlier but almost a year is fine too. Most people want does to have their first litter before 1 year old for various reasons.

Thumping is normal for does. They usually become territorial when being bred. Usually my bucks thump but the does can too.

Back