breeding rabitts

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanny-bunny

Reaction score
hi:

my name is shanny my mum got me 2 rabbits a while ago wewere told at the shop that they where brother and sister and that theycould be breed if we wanted to. But i've been told that may not be agood idea. The problem is that my bunny has given birth to a litter.And i dont know what to espect now?? i have'nt been told the reason whyi should'nt breed brother & sister?? please somebodytell me what i should espect with this litter of rabbits?? it is thefirst time i have them and im a bit worried??thanks....

It's probably in case of genetic problems, but ifthe kits seem ok I wouldn't worry. I read it was ok to mate a doe withits father on a post here, so I'm sure they'll all be fab!

Lindsey x

shanny-bunny wrote:
hi:

my name is shanny my mum got me 2 rabbits a while ago wewere told at the shop that they where brother and sister and that theycould be breed if we wanted to. But i've been told that may not be agood idea. The problem is that my bunny has given birth to a litter.And i dont know what to espect now?? i have'nt been told the reason whyi should'nt breed brother & sister?? please somebodytell me what i should espect with this litter of rabbits?? it is thefirst time i have them and im a bit worried??thanks....

They should be fine. It happens all the time with rabbits. I think(correct me if I'm wrong, Pam!) that there is somewhat more chance ofsudden death after two generations of linebreeding, which is why Iwould rather do an outcross.

Breeders will mate related animals so the offspring are more"predictable". Outcrosses (non-related stock) have a larger gene poolto draw from, so odd traits can pop up. These include non-standardcoloring and other departures from breed standard. I can attest tothat, as I did an outcross this summer and the babies had some oddtraits. All healthy and strong, but strange coloring. The mother hadanother litter (probably a linebreeding) right before and they weremuch more uniform.

Those are issues that you would only worry about if you were trying forshow-standard babies. Health-wise, they will probably be ok.

What are the breeds? Sizes? Do you have pics?

Good luck!

Rose

I've only had limited experience with breeding,but in general it is not advisable to mate relatives. It cancause genetic recessive traits (usually the ones that are bad) to comeout more frequently. I do not know how/if this would apply torabbits, but there was a belief that pole cats (ferrets, skunks,minks...) could be inbred without a problem, but now that is beingrethought because of an increase in cancer in youngeranimals. (I have an 18 month old ferret with cancer.)

Anyway, usually any problems that are going to be seen are present atbirth. If the kits seem fine and act normal, they areprobably ok. Maybe have your vet take a look at them if yourare worried, but usually problems occur after inbreding overgenerations, not just one time.

Good luck with your babies! :)

When you are breeding for show it is advised tobreed related ,father daughter,cousins etc.breeding brother sister istoo related and any genetic problems will be increased, they are notalways apparrent at birth.wolf teeth will not be seen for severalweeks.bluebird

I don't have any breeding advice to offer, but Ido wonder why you would want to breed them? Normally, people mate theirrabbits to improve the breed, and since you are unaware of theirgenetic background,breeding wouldn't be advisable. I alsofind it shocking the pet store would even suggest mating them in thefirst place. In the US (and the UK, I'm not sure where you're from)there is a terrible pet overpopulation problem. Bringing more bunniesinto the world where there are already so many who need a home, andespecially when it's not for improving the breed, would not beadvisable. People here who breed bunnies start off with good purebredstock, and breed for the health of the animals and conformation. Theymay also have homes lined up for the kits before they even breed. Ifnot enough people want the bunnies, you'll have a lot more work on yourhands! If you're interested in breeding,I'd advise a lot morehomework be done, that you start with ahealthy purebred pair.Not many people want "mutt" bunnies.

:DHello Lindsey:

Thank you for that i fell better now. I will take somepictures of my rabbitts and there litter and i will post themsoon. when they are ready.I managed to see 2 little headspoping out of the hay today, so i got all excited but i was'nt sure ifi could touch them, my mum told me not to until they were hoppingabout, just in case mum gets worried.

Thank you again for replying to my question.

Shannybunny!!

You can and actually should touch them. Don'tplay with them now, just pick them up daily to make sure they're warmand their bellies are round. You should also check for any dead babiesand remove them from the nest.

Squeaalll - how cute! Don't worry abouttouching them- you need to check them with your mam to makesure they're ok. I only had Blade a few days really before she had thekits and she didn't reject them or mind me checking them at all!Honestly, see how many you've got and that they're all ok, then popthem back in the nest carefully.

My kits are about a week now - look at

http://uk.msnusers.com/MyWrigglies

to see what they'll look like! They won't be out of the nest hoppingfor a while I think - mine wriggle and wobble but nothing like a hop!

Good luck, and send a pic. if you can!

:dude::dude:

m.e. wrote:
Not many people want "mutt" bunnies.

Aw, M.E! All mine are 'mutts' I think, except Saddy - and they're allgorgeous to me. Still, they're all rescue so you may well have a point,unfortunately. :(People tire of them so easily, and unlessthey're 'worth' something financially, people just get rid. I'd nevermate mine full stop- as it is, I'm keeping all of the newarrivals but it'll be very hard work.

Incidentally, my dog is a complete 'mutt' (pure Border Collie fathermixed with the local tramp!!) but she has been the sweetest, bestfriend for 12 years! A lot of people (not on this site, I hasten toadd!!) are blinded by pound signs and no emotion. :(

Thanks to you all for answering my questions,ok ihave 1 more question when i touch the rabbitts should i get the mum outof the huch or is ok to touch them when she's there??

:Dthanks again.

Shannybunny!!

I get Blade out and cuddle her first, then lether run round the kitchen next to me while we check the babies...thatway her scent is on me, but I don't think it matters much from herreaction. She likes it if we smell of bread and treats though - she'seating enough for ten!

Then I put Blade back in when I'm done, and give her a treat so she knows it's clever to let me see the wrigglies!

When I had a LOT of rabbits, I went from cage tocage, checking on babies. There was no problem with the"scent" thing. And, from working with these rabbits thru somany breedings and birthings, I knew which does got "bitchy" when theyhad babies. Dutchess was one that did. I used thefeed scoop to keep her to one side of the cage while I checked in thenest box. Shortly before weaning time, she would mellow out,and then was fine again until she kindled again.

- Dolores

Hello everybody:

I'm shannybunny's mum and i would like to thankyou all for the advice you all gave to my daughteryesterday.

We took your advice and checked the kits and weare happy to tell you that there is three of them, one black, and twothat looks just like mum and dad. They all seem healthy and we thinkthey are about a week old possibly more because they all have hair andtheir eyes have open.

I will be posting their pics soon!!

So thanks again and.......

"HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE"

SHANNY&HEYDI.

Latest posts

Back