Breeding Rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cookie07

Reaction score
I have 5 Rabbits 1 male and four females andabout two days i found 2 babies in the nestbox i gave them and i alsofound 3 babies under a log. (I have a big log in their cageand they made a borrow under it)and im wondering ifI had toseperte the moms or if the other rabbits will try to kill the babies. Iknow Witch babies belong towitch mom so seperating won't behard.

Hey there,

I moved this thread to the Rabbitry section for you, you'll get more answers here.

First off, is the male in the same cage as the male? If so,then be prepared for all the females to have babies, including the onesthat just gave birth. They will give birth again in 28-32days. Rabbits have no ovulation cycle, and are ready to getpregnant at any time, including just after giving birth.

I would keep all the rabbits seperate. Sometimes they willget along, and other times they won't and the babies could gethurt. Count down 28-32 days from the last time they have beenwith the male, and give them each a nest box on around the 26th day,earlier if they start building a nest.

What types of rabbits are they and how old are they? Are youplanning on breeding for show? There are many risks involvedwith breeding, and is not something to take lightly. Youcould end up with an extremly large amount of rabbits in a short amountof time.

Babies will need to be seperated from mom at about 8 weeks, or if shehas another litter when the new ones come along. At about 12weeks they will need to be seperated by sex. So you will needalot of cage space for these little guys.

Good luck, and please ask if you have any questions. We are here to help you!

--Dawn

It depends upon the doe. I have two does thatlike to live in the same cage and when the one who "lives" there (vs.the one who "owns" the cage) had her babies - she had them in a backcorner and both does watched them.

However, I had a mama get put in the wrong cage (long story) and sheattacked one baby and killed it. (She got put in with the wrong litterby someone other than myself and Art).

That's why I say it depends upon the doe(s).

I'd separate them and I'd make sure that they're separate from the male or else you will have more bunnies in 28-32 days.

Peg

In my opinion, I would seperate all theadults. This will be easier as you won't have to worry abouta mother attacking the other one's babies at any time.

It will prevent any unneeded visits to the vets.

Sharon

After they had the babiesI put themale in another cage? And if i do seperate the does canItouch the babies and i dont have big cages. How big should the cagesbe?right now its been 4 days with all the does togehter andInever saw them fight. ALso the one that had the babies under the loggoes in there but im not sure if she can stand up and feed them

Actually, you should never keep an intact malein the same cage as an intact female. You are only supposedto put them together for breeding and then separate themagain. Rabbits are able to mate immediately after givingbirth- and they often do. So expect the girls that gave birthto have more babies in another month. This is why they'resupposed to be separate- that's very hard on the moms and on the firstlitter of babies that have to be weaned early.

Even though the girls appear to be getting along, it's best not to pushyour luck. It's also easier to keep track of who gave birthto who, when, and how the babies are doing if you have them separated.

And do check the babies to make sure they're getting fed. They should have round, fat bellies.

Not to sound mean or anything, but please read up on breeding beforeyou choose to mate them again. It doesn't sound like you wereprepared for any of this. Breeding rabbits can be difficultand heartbreaking, even for the experts. But knowledge canprevent a lot of problems.

This is VERY VERY true. Breeding sounds like fun and it is fun - but there are many pitfalls and it is heartbreaking sometimes.

Definitely get these rabbits neutered because if you breed them - atbest you're creating mixed breed rabbits who have a greater chance ofwinding up in a shelter (just my opinion).

Unless you're a TOP breeder in the breed you raise - you rarely makemoney....instead you find yourself kissing your money goodbye!

Peg

naturestee wrote:
Breeding rabbits can be difficult and heartbreaking, even for theexperts.

Latest posts

Back