Breeding Questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ariusshadow

Reaction score
Moderator's note to members reading this.

This discussion is not about whether or not to breed mixed breed rabbits. This thread needs to focus on the questions being asked which I am bold-facing for our members.

Please remember folks - while we don not promote mixed breed breeding - we are NOT the bunny police. We want to answer the questions that are asked.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation!

Peg

A friend of mine are thinking of breeding our buns. We're serious about this, and have bred cats before. We're not just popping out of nowhere with this thought. We've gone through months of considering buck and doe and are aiming, not for a purebred, but for a 'pretty' mix. Because we all like pretty buns. ;)
We were thinking of using a Jersey Woolly buck, and a Flemmy / Rex mix as a doe. She's very small. The only thing Flemmy about her is her ears. The buck is a brown agouti with blue at the base of the hairs, and the doe is a very diluted gray and white harlequin.
My question was, is there any known complications with using a Jersey Woolly buck and a larger breed doe? We were considering for a while, using a different doe, Muu, a gray and white broken Holland Lop. But we are unsure if this will cause complications due to a size difference, or if we're just being over-reactive about it. We may not want purebreds, but we certainly want healthy kittens.
Also, can anyone tell me of a good, reliable gene-breakdown site? Something that tells you which are recessive/dominant genes in rabbits, and all that good stuff? I did some looking on my own on the internet, and found several I really don't trust... So, I thought I'd ask the experts. :)

Thanks in advance for all replies. I really do appreciate it!

mistyjr wrote:
I just like to say that people wont agree with this.. But thats all im gonna say.
I've dealt with rowdier crowds, I'm sure. ;) I've worked front end at Wal Mart :biggrin:
I'm sure some people don't agree, but thank you for the heads up. :)

Yeah! My hubby works at stinking Wal-Mart!!
But anyways. The babies will be one interested breed and color. But I have looked up and searched for mix breed bunnies. I have seen some that go almost about $100.00 for mix breeds.

Chances are, we won't even be selling these. We have enough bun-loving friends that we could probably give them away to the homes that wanted buns from Ecresi's rescue litter. (Mom was the rescue, litter came less than a week later. :D) She had about three people asking us if we had any left. Only five were born from Kota's litter. So, I'm sure homes will be easy enough to find that we won't have to sell any. :)

ariusshadow wrote:
A friend of mine are thinking of breeding our buns. We're serious about this, and have bred cats before. We're not just popping out of nowhere with this thought. We've gone through months of considering buck and doe and are aiming, not for a purebred, but for a 'pretty' mix. Because we all like pretty buns. ;)
We were thinking of using a Jersey Woolly buck, and a Flemmy / Rex mix as a doe. She's very small. The only thing Flemmy about her is her ears. The buck is a brown agouti with blue at the base of the hairs, and the doe is a very diluted gray and white harlequin.
My question was, is there any known complications with using a Jersey Woolly buck and a larger breed doe? We were considering for a while, using a different doe, Muu, a gray and white broken Holland Lop. But we are unsure if this will cause complications due to a size difference, or if we're just being over-reactive about it. We may not want purebreds, but we certainly want healthy kittens.
Also, can anyone tell me of a good, reliable gene-breakdown site? Something that tells you which are recessive/dominant genes in rabbits, and all that good stuff? I did some looking on my own on the internet, and found several I really don't trust... So, I thought I'd ask the experts. :)

Thanks in advance for all replies. I really do appreciate it!
First of all - welcome to the forum. Glad to see another rabbit lover here.

Now I want to say something and make it brief. I'm going to bold-face it so our regular members can tell it has been handled.

As a forum, we do not support breeding of mixed breed rabbits. This is for a couple of reasons (and we don't yet have a policy statement on it). One reason is that people who breed mixed breed rabbits often do it without educating themselves and then wind up with unexpected problems. Another reason is that there are so many bunnies out there in shelters that need homes - that many times these mixed breed rabbits take homes that those shelter bunnies could have - OR - they wind up being dumped a few months down the road because they were an "impulse purchase" and become shelter bunnies themselves.

However, while we do not support the concept or promote the idea of breeding mixed breed bunnies - we also know we are not the "bunny police". We can only advise and then let people do what they want.

With that said....now let me answer your questions.

There should not be a problem if you breed a smaller buck (even if he's a wooly) to a larger doe. The major problems come about when you breed a larger buck to a smaller doe.

You will need to make sure that you take the doe to the buck's cage and not vice-versa.

I will pull up some rabbit genetics sites for you in a minute and add them in another post - I have to look them up.

Feel free to ask any more questions you might have - and once again - welcome to the forum.

See, With my self I am scared about my Wooly Doe. When I went to visit my aunt, She put my lionhead buck with my wooly doe. I didnt know until she said something. Because her excuse was that my wooly doe is getting to old to breed and something needs to be done.. Im scared that I wont find homes for these babies. But I will take care of the babies the best I can!

*sigh* Have fun~

This website breaks down all the genes, and tells you what each does:
http://www.debmark.com/rabbits/genetics.htm
Or this one:
http://www.threelittleladiesrabbitry.com/rabbitcolorgeneticsindex.php

And here's the genetics behind the colors. If you don't know the colors, go ahead and ask me or anyone else on the site. We'd be more than happy to help.
http://www.thenaturetrail.com/Rabbit-Coat-Color-Chart.htm

Edit:

To add onto Tinysmom... I'm excellent on the c and e genes. XD They're the two I have to use in my rabbitry. The rest don't mean too much. So we'd probably be a pretty good combo. LOL

Back