breeding question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnylover78642

Reaction score
Can a doe get pregant by mounting the buck? Iheard it has to be the buck that mounts the doe, but when my friend wasshowing me her breeding pair of rabbits the doe has mounted the boy. Iam going to get pics on here as soon as I can. A mini-rex that lookslike the all popular Henry. And a netherland dwarf mix that looks likeHenrys "wife". They are also boy and girl (2 months and 4 months).:D

I hope you're not intending to breed these rabbits...

Mixed breed rabbits are not sought after and can be extremely hard to get rid of.

It's not unusual for the doe to attempt the buck -- no, the doe cannot conceive by mounting the buck.

This act of dominance by the doe can actually intimidate the buck andruina meek buckfor future breeding.(Hemay refuse to mount the does).

By 12 weeks of age, they may be sexually mature, so shouldn't be allowed to "play".

Pam

We are only breeding them once and I already nowwhat I am going to do with the babies. My friend a breeder of mini rexswould like two of them and I already have had offers for the other eventhough the are not born yet. :(Sorry if this is the wrong thing to dobut I think the doe may already be pregnant though I am not sure sinceshe is only 4 months old.:)

She can't be if the male is only 2 months. A buck is able to get a doe pregnant at 12 weeks of age.

I still wouldnt breed them even if people saythey want them.sometimes people change there mind then you have to findsomebdy else that wants them.bluebird

Yeah I've explained to bunnylover onpmabout the accident that was Henry and Max... Luckily I'dhad kits before, so knew a bit ofwhat to expect.But we would never have bred them together, maybe bred Henry with oneofDan's workmate'srexes(sp?) and Max with anotherdutch, but never together. :?

Also I wouldn't think a breeder would want mixes as that opens the genepool to a whole load of unsellable/unshowable rabbits that may then endup in rabbit rescue. Maybe I'm mistaken as I don't breed.

One of ours still needs a home, if we can't find one, we'll keephim/her. But do you have the space to keep unwanted rabbitsif no-one does take them?

Also, what do your parents think about it?

Please think long and hard about this decision as you're only youngonce and maybe when you're financially stable yourself with your ownjoband have your own house, etc, you could do itthen.

Ang xx

I think it really discourages you fromk breedingrabbits when you visit the animal shelters or rescues and see theamount of rabbits needing good homes that are not getting theopportunity to have a happy life - so many of those are the result ofirresponsible breeders.

I'm by no way saying you're one of the irresponsible ones Bunny Lover -don't get me wrong because you have thought about what would happen tothe bunnies when they are born - so many people don't ever get to thestage of thinking beyond the pregnancy.

I couldn't believe it when I visited a British site:

www.rabbitrehome.org.uk andsaw the amount of rabbits needing new homes, it really puts the thoughtinto your mind that this isn't the place to be bringing new babies intothe world. I'm sure in the USA you have similar sites whichreally put into perspective the amount of homeless bunnies needingcaring owners.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do Bunny Lover. x

Rebecca x :)

Latest posts

Back