Breeding holland lop girl

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iluvdutchrabbbits90

Reaction score
My holland lop girl is 6 months old and 3 pounds. At what age do you breed them? And is she a normal size? Im using her to have lionlops!

Can I ask why? Are you a breeder, or is this your pet bunny?

Im a breeder. I breed and show lionheads. I am not into mixing breeds, but i love those lionlops i always see around here! So i just have one holland girl. And not sure if their like lionheads or not.

She should be old enough to breed. I know that you breed them about that age. I dont know about Holland lops though. But I breed my LH about that age or so. I hope the best with it. I think that Lionlops are cute too. I have seen a few but not many of them.

I would also recommend finding good homes for these babies while they are still young or even before the breeding. As cute as lionlops might be they are still mixed and are not recognized. Please don't add to the population of bunnies in rescues. I say this with only the interest of the babies.

woahlookitsme wrote:
I would also recommend finding good homes for these babies while they are still young or even before the breeding. As cute as lionlops might be they are still mixed and are not recognized. Please don't add to the population of bunnies in rescues. I say this with only the interest of the babies.

I am going to have a litter with her. Here were i live thier are not many rabbits in shelters.

And yes they are as cute as can be!

woahlookitsme wrote:
My sentiments exactly...... While I am not anti breeder at all, I do believe that breeding should be done with care. If you have homes for babies, FOR SURE not just a couple of people that have said they might be interested, or are willing to keep them all until you find them homes, then that's fine. But I know first hand how hard it can be to find good homes, especially with the number of people out of work or struggling with financial difficulties right now.

Holland Lops should be bred for the first time around 6 months old. They will weigh 2-4 lbs. at maturity.

However, breeding a lop rabbit to a Lionhead will not produce Lionlops. The second generation from a cross like this generally produces regularly furred, up-eared rabbits. Producing rabbits with lop ears and the mane of a Lionhead takes several generations of selective breeding.

Rachel, If you are looking for one as a pet I highly recommend petfinder.com since you are in the US. There are several lionlops listed. They are not a recognised breed so you wouldn't be showing them so there is no reason to create more. They are super cute. :)

MiniLopHop wrote:
Rachel, If you are looking for one as a pet I highly recommend petfinder.com since you are in the US. There are several lionlops listed. They are not a recognised breed so you wouldn't be showing them so there is no reason to create more. They are super cute. :)
No I am not looking for a pet. And i am well aware they cant be shown.

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
Holland Lops should be bred for the first time around 6 months old. They will weigh 2-4 lbs. at maturity.

However, breeding a lop rabbit to a Lionhead will not produce Lionlops. The second generation from a cross like this generally produces regularly furred, up-eared rabbits. Producing rabbits with lop ears and the mane of a Lionhead takes several generations of selective breeding.
THank you since you are the only one who answerd my questions!!

iluvdutchrabbbits90 wrote:
MiniLopHop wrote:
No I am not looking for a pet. And i am well aware they cant be shown.

[align=center]If you are not looking for a pet, why breed them?

I don't understand your reasoning.

NOT PETS FOR MYSELF. I am a breeder! I breed my rabbits and SELL them.I ONLY sell my rabbits to good homes,and because they are a MIX they will go too PET homes only.Unlike my lionheads who i show,and dont goto pets homes, they go to breeders. You all can say what ever you want, i am not changing my mind.I bought her at 6 weeks old to breed too my 2 pound black tortlionhead buck and thats what im doing. I just asked some questions not to bejuged about everything else. Its not like i have tons of lops to breed to my lions i have ONE!!!!

NOT PETS FOR MYSELF. I am a breeder! I breed my rabbits and SELL them.I ONLY sell my rabbits to good homes,and because they are a MIX they will go too PET homes only.Unlike my lionheads who i show,and dont go to pets homes, they go to breeders. You all can say what ever you want, i am not changing my mind.I bought her at 6 weeks old to breed too my 2 pound black tort lionhead buck and thats what im doing. I just asked some questions not to be juged about everything else. Its not like i have tons of lops to breed to my lions i have ONE!!!!

[align=center] Whoa.
Calm down.

Did I attack you?
No I did not.

I just stated that I did not understand your motives.

You don't need to get so defensive and be so rude.

Yield wrote:
[align=center]Whoa.
Calm down.

Did I attack you?
No I did not.

[/align]

[align=left]I asked questions too be answered. All the extra comments were not needed. I was not the rude one.[/align]

Yield wrote:
[align=center]Whoa.
Calm down.

Did I attack you?
No I did not.

[/align]
[align=left]I asked questions too be answered. All the extra comments were not needed. I was not th rude one.[/align]

[align=center]Yes, you asked a question and no, extra comments weren't needed. I figured with 291 posts on RO you would realize that usually no one on here intends to be rude when asking a question.

My question was simple and there was no harm intended... and you went off on me and threw a fit when I was in no way, shape, or form being rude. I was asking a simple question, and I would appreciate you not accusing me of such trivial things.

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:

:yeahthat:

I run a rabbit rescue. The rabbits that people are dumping on me are not purebred show rabbits, they are mixed breed pet rabbits. You have already made it clear that, even though you WON'T GET a lionlop from this breeding that you are going to do it anyway. "You all can say what ever you want, i am not changing my mind." Does that mean you are planning repeated breedings to get your lionlop babies? Finding "good homes" is not that easy. And every "cute pet" you sell is one in a shelter that isn't getting a home.

Latest posts

Back