Breeding (Funnily enough)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not just the dwarfs that have issues. Breeding the giants, I've had really (overly) giant babies that were born dead or died shortly after birth. We all get babies that are not as fully developed as it's siblings (fertilized later, back of the horn, whatever you wish to call it). There are a lot of issues that we deal with that we tend to refrain from posting about.

One thing I've noticed isvery fewpeople take advantage of the vast wealth of knowledge that already exisits on this forum. We have a VERY extensive library. Very few people actually do a search for their problem, question or issue. Or they come on here thinking they are the only ones that ever had to deal with a particular problem. So we end up repeating ourselves, time after time.

I'd just like to say that I think this is a great discussion and breeding questions/problems are a good idea.

I believe that if new breeders are educated they can become very good breeders themselves.

I don't think there should be a separate forum for just breeders as many beginners come here to look for advice.

For me, the rabbitry is one of the most interesting forums on this site so I just decided to add my opinion :)

I was thinkingabout this last night, and funnily enough, it's sort of come around anyway. I was thinking maybe those (both breeders and non-a good example being naturestee) who have had problems with breeding could write about their experiences (maybe just bad, maybe bad and good), be them due to lack of knowledge, or birthing complications, genetic factord, etc. Maybe it could be some sort of sticky where new breeders are encouraged to go to read about what they might face. I think in there it would be important to talk about your max factor babies, the debates you have on when to cull, losing does/kits, emergency spays, finance, anything and everything.

I've made horrific mistakes in my breeding, but I would be willing to share those in more detail if there was the possibility that it could prevent someone else from making similar mistakes.

I guess like a members breeding biography sticky/area, or something. Maybe a locked one so people could not respond.

Oh, and can I say that several people (myself included) thought this would decend into a slanging match and that I would get torn apart by people, but it was REALLY nice to come down this morning and read what everyone had written, so thanks :)

Oh, just to add yet another post, someone raised with me that they are not sure how to tackle posts where you know the person is lying, or hiding info. Is the best thing to do in that situation to just simply avoid the person/post?

People are going to make their own decisions and make their own mistakes. Trying to impose our will on others can alienate posters who need our help the most.

The issue of non-breeders flaming in the breeding forum has been brought up before and continues to be a problem. If you don't like a poster/topic, don't respond to their posts.

Pam

I think I've become some sort of 'go between', lol. I guess it's probably easier for me to post issues such as this than the person raise them themselves if they feel uncomfortable here.

Someone else has raised something with me about this forum, and it is also something that is relevant to me.

This person was basically asking what 'qualifies' someone to be 'allowed' to have an opinion/give advice here.

What they mean is, I think, whether if you have had one or two casual litters, but are not a breeder specifically, then are you welcome to post here?

I often feel like I'm not welcome in here because I'm not currently breeding, yet I do feel I potentially have stuff to offer. Irishbunnies has had two failed litters and has been posting here but says

irishbunny wrote:
I really need to try and stay out of the rabbitry unless I have something to ask, I find it really depressing, for some reason I can't stop coming back.
which to me (and correct me if I'm wrong Grace), she feels not comfortable here and maybe like she shouldn't be posting?

Is there a specific set of criteria for someone to meet to be allowed to contribute here?

I get Pipp's point about

If you are not a breeder, you don't support breeding and you have nothing of note to contribute to a thread beyond expressing an opinion on breeding, PLEASE don't post.
but that's not clear about those of us who are on the cusp, in that we are not recognised breeders. I think the lines are becoming blurred as to what is and isn't allowed, and what people interpret that is. Also, other people's reactions to them are relevant here too.

So, any thoughts?

I have been sitting back reading the posts since this came up and I first have thought "oh no, where is this going to go". But I think that everyone is getting their questions out now and trying to get clarifications to certain things (thanks Flashy;)). Im fairly new to this site and fairly new to breeding also(thisforum is highly addicting). This is the only section that I go to on this site...ok, I may occasionally wander....but Im glued here because I love to hear what people have to say and the information is great. I have seen somethings onhere and some very irrisponsible things from others regarding breeding when they really shouldnt be....but like what was said before, you cant make anyone do anything or listen to what people have to sayif they dont want to. I usually just sit back and soak it in...I too can learn from someone elses mistakes. I dont tend to post on them because sometimes I tend to say things that I shouldnt;)As far as a locked post or a place where only "allowed or specific people" were to post, I would be severly disapointed as I look forward to being able to talk to those of you who are experienced and ..ahem...know what you are talking about. I dont know what Im talking abouthalf the time and I need the expertice. :pSo anywho, Im not sure if my opinion was welcome or not...just though youd like to hear from someone who "sits in the background".:biggrin2:

Flashy wrote:
Is there a specific set of criteria for someone to meet to be allowed to contribute here?

I get Pipp's point about

If you are not a breeder, you don't support breeding and you have nothing of note to contribute to a thread beyond expressing an opinion on breeding, PLEASE don't post.
but that's not clear about those of us who are on the cusp, in that we are not recognised breeders. I think the lines are becoming blurred as to what is and isn't allowed, and what people interpret that is. Also, other people's reactions to them are relevant here too.

So, any thoughts?
I would like to hear other mods/admins take on this one, but this is what I think.

I don't think we can have a specific set of criteria, it's just not possible to do that without alienating people. There is no clear cut line here and it wouldn't work if we tried to make one.

Basically you just have to ask yourself if you have something of worth to contribute. It doesn't say "Don't post unless you're a breeder", it's also "don't post if you have nothing of note to contribute", so if you do think you have something useful to share, you should go ahead regardless of your experience or whether or not you consider yourself a breeder. It's about who has something helpful to say, not who is qualified to contribute.

So in your case Tracy you should always feel comfortable to post because you always do have something of value to contribute. :)

This Forum (in general) and this Subforum (in particular) are very different from what is commonly "out there" for Rabbit lovers. It is one of the few places that breeders are welcome. And I (personally speaking) think it needs to be available to anyone and everyone that might need it.

I think anyone should be able to post here, as long as it's not flaming and bashing "just for breeding". (Hence the warning at the top!)

It is really wonderful that we can be here for those "accidental" litters or to advise some considering a rabbit breeding. Maybe, with well thought out guidance and advice, it can either be done correctly, with the welfare of the rabbits first and foremost, or not done, with the welfare of the rabbits first and foremost.

Thanks for that Flashy, I was also wondering, since I am not a rabbit breeder as such should I be posting here, sometimes I see a post of someone looking for some basic breeding advice that I know the answer to and I often wonder, should I post it or should I leave it?

In my opinion, you should post if you can help someone, and you've definitely been helpful. But that's just what I think.

I read here from time to time but seldom post anymore, RO is more geared towards pet people than breeders, and I always feel like I have to carefully craft and then censor my posts as to not offend the pet people, even when posting here on the breeders forum. Its become not worth it for me, although I like RO and many of the people here. And its not just me, I know of a number of breeders who are RO members, some of them are even meat rabbit breeders, and they keep their heads down and mouths shut, and seldom participate, although they have a wealth of knowledge to share. I have to be honest, I don't really think that your going to have an easy time of getting more breeders to participate, not once they realize that their opening themselves up for attack by the more militant types on this forum. I've had other breeders refer to RO as a 'PETA Pit', I'm not saying that to offend anyone, really, honestly I'm not, just trying to help folks see how RO is viewed and why breeders may not feel comfortable posting here. I think this is a great little breeders forum, and it does help a lot of people, but how will it continue without attracting new breeder members and encouraging present members to share knowledge. Answering the same questions over and over can cause burnout for long time members, often its nice to have newer members take over. Except for banning non-breeders for flaming in the rabbitry I don't know how your going to change things for the better, or convince breeder members to post. Just some thoughts I've had, while lurking.

^I was aware that many breeders don't post, and I find that so sad, especially when they will potentially have so much to offer. I just think that's so sad. And also such a waste of their knowledge.

Latest posts

Back