Breeding for temprenment not very popular?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been reading the 'BreedingDo's and Don'ts'thread and have gathered that a lot of rabbitbreeding is done to produce better show quality rabbits-where coat markings, fur type and lay, body shape, ear length ect. are important.

Is breeding for temperement decidely less popular because the rabbits with a lovely temperement but perhaps "imperfect" physical features are more likely to be pet rabbits?

The breeder I purchased Guy from bred for temprement and colour. Guy is a handsome little bun with a lovely temprement and if/when I do get to breed I'd be content with producing that type of rabbit. Would that be a limit in some way?

Jo

Every breeder knows that temperment is bred in. An agressive rabbit should not be bred, and frankly, might be best culled. Most breeders refuse to breed a witchy rabbit (myself included.) because it's absolutely the last thing you want your line known for.

I don't particularly breed FOR temperament. However, I take temperament into consideration when choosing my breeding stock. All my rabbits are friendly, kind, and outgoing. I'd never add a nasty rabbit into my program, so in that sense...yes, I do breed for temperament. :)It's just not something I specify since I don't really have issues with ill temperament, ya know? ;)

I believe that just about every breeder breeds for temperament. I for one enjoy working with my rabbits and do not want to deal with agressive animals ona day to day basis. Raising and showing rabbits is a hobby that I enjoy very much and won't deal with a rabbit that bites. I do give bred does and does with litters some latitude because they are hormonal or being protective.

My babies are handled from birth by me and when they are a little older by my grandchildren. They are friendly or at least not agressive to people.

Roger

I can't say that I specifically pick the two parents due to temperament, but I also don't breed a rabbit with a poor temperament. I do look at temperament when I pick out new additions for my rabbitry. In that regard, I guess I'm looking at the temperament on each and every one of my brood stock before I acquire them.

To be honest, I think if you spend time with the little ones they get used to people and will have a nice temperament. Yes, there are some that naturally are more snuggly than others, but most are friendly if you have always spent time with them.

I think it also has something to do with the breed. I find my lops to be easier to warm up to people. The lionheads seem to be a bit more standoffish in the beginning and slower to warm up. I think they require more work when they are young.

I also agree with Randy on the pregnant and parenting does. I have some super snuggly does that turn pretty nasty when they have young or are at the end of their pregnancies. I still have a scar on my one finger from a doe that latched on when I put my hand in her cage to grab a bowl. She had just had her babies and was, in her mind, protecting them. She, however, is one of my sweetest does any other time and has very sweet babies. Once she's had them a few days she lets you get closer, but I've learned to give her the space she needs in the beginning.

I think most of the breeders on here do breed with temperment in mind but as Oakridge said since it isn't a problem w/ the buns, doesn't particularly think about it much.
There are breeders who don't care and those are around mostly to make a quick buck, as with any pet breeder of any animal (a byb).
I haven't had vast experience with rabbits (yet) but I have 3 currently (all from different backgrounds) and haven't had a problem with temperment save 1 rabbit that I rehomed. He was far too much for my family so he went to someone who is more experienced with rabbits.
I think the majority are fairly 'nice' out there. I think the problem most people have is the misconception that bunnies are sooo cute they should all love to be held and all be cuddly. Some are but alot aren't.

Not all rabbits are cuddly and snuggly and like to be held. Rabbits each have their own personalities. And I understand if a rabbit doesn't like to be held, or if it doesn't like it's ears touched... or "only pet me there"... or anything else. And they will still be considered for breeding in my herd.

But I will not tolerate a rabbit that hates people, bites, attacks (with intent to bite or injure) or I can't trust to safely feed, water, groom, clean, etc. Such a rabbit should not be bred... and can not safely be kept as a pet. I will give a rabbit every effort to calm, tame, reassure and socialize... If those efforts fail, that rabbit will be removed.

Not all rabbits are show quality, not all rabbits are breeding quality and not all rabbits are pet quality. Our job as breeders is to know our rabbits, assess their personalities and qualities and make sure each rabbit reaches it's full potential.

Dwarf Hotots used to be a breed known for their nasty temperament. The efforts of the breeders to improve temperament through breeding has clearly been reflected in the improvement in the breed's disposition.

Pam

Hope this isn't misplaced, but I've always wondered about how temperment or personality is passed down and love learning about things related to psychology.

With the nature/nurture debate.. is it that the nature part of it is more heavily weighed with rabbits? I don't have any breeding experience, but would something like line breeding concentrate the personality like it would other traits?

I know it's a stretch comparing humans to rabbits.. but it does seem that there would be difference in how much nature or nurture affects both groups. Since in humans, it's more commonly believed how a person is raised impacts their personality and attitude rather than their genetic make up. So just wondering if there's a reason why genetics seem to weigh more for rabbits to the point of sweeping over entire breeds (such as the hotot that pam mentioned)?

Thanks! I've always wondered this.. especially after being introduced to psychology more.. super interesting to me!

Spring, Oh, you're asking psychology questions related to bunnies...two of my favorite things. :biggrin2: To all those that don't want to hear about psychology, quit reading now. :) I teach AP Psychology and I'm a breeder, so I'm going to take a stab at what I've witnessed:

In my rabbits I think both nature and nurture play a key role in determining personality. The effects of nature can be witnessed in an example of my Mini Lop Blue's kits who are always friendly. Blue is a very friendly rabbit, but when she has babies becomes territorial. The babies are then witnessing her being aggressive, but yet develop nice personalities. That leads me to believe Blue's nice personality is passed on to her young.

I also find that the Lionheads are not naturally sociable. They seem to want to hide more and avoid human contact. I spend far more time with these babies to socialize them. The result can be seen by about the fourth or fifth week when they will come to the door looking for attention. I think this is a nice example of nurture in action.

On nature's side, I find my American Fuzzy lop babies are all super affectionate and not afraid of human contact. Instead of shrinking away, they will cuddle towards the warmth of a human hand even before their eyes open. They will also run to the door to greet you once they are able to move about on their own. I think this can be both nature and nurture. Nature in that they are not shrinking away and are liking human contact....nurture in that their moms are also super friendly so they may be learning through modeling. This is where I could break off into a whole bunch of learning-related psycho-babble, but I'll spare you the rest. :biggrin2:

I think it can relate to lines a well. My chin line of nethies have fantatsic perosnalities. They come from 1 breeder and they are very laid back however as a result of lack of handling as a youngster they are not so keen to be cuddled. However the next generation who we have bred ourselves are very keen cuddlers and very friendly due to teh amount of handling we have given them from being born. They do not have the fear factor that the 1st generation had.
We do relate rabbits to the fight or flight and that line are all flight rabbits if nervous. I have however seen many fight rabbits if nervous to and believe a lot of that is down to not being handled whilst young.

The beverens most obviously have a much smaller gene pool and I have been told on many occasions that the does can be Bi***s however the doe I was given and also teh doe I have bred are very cuddly settled rabbits by nature. also very vocal if unhappy about something which teh nethies def. arent. They are very flighty nervous if not handled enough.
Its amazing to see the differences between different colours and different lines. I would also say you can definately tell a rabbit that has had more time and effort put into it.

i hope that makes sense lol I am still waking up :p

I don't breed anything that has a history of being aggressive... if you don't breed aggression into your lines, then you don't have to worry so much about having aggressive rabbits. However, once in a while you'll get a weird bun pop up that is aggressive, but it is less likely when breeding animals with good personalities. :D

Personally nobunny is around long enough to make a second attempt at aggression in my herd. My kids are very active with the bunnies and I won't have any threats to them around, so no I don't put any thought into temperment. As far as listing it for the do's and don't, it could some consider it a given that you would breed a mean rabbit.

Question for breeders:

What do you do with aggressive rabbits?
I imagine it would be hard to get a pet home to take them. Most people seem to not want to take the time to work with an aggressive rabbit when there's so many nice one's available.

:?

I have personally contacted people who want meat and butchered such animals for them. I have also known of people who contact their local raptor center for their culls.... birds have to eat too you know. I have yet to find one locally.

I'm sorry, but there is no way I could give a rabbit to a bird to be torn apart. I also do not raise rabbits that are large enough to be considered "meat rabbits." No offense and to each his own, but I do not see my cute bunnies as dinner. I would rather humanely euthanize a rabbit than to cause it to suffer at the hands of another animal that is going to use it as dinner. Luckily I have never had to cull a rabbit due to temperament. I have only had to euthanize rabbits for physical rather than psychological or emotional problems. I'm not sure if I would put a rabbit down that was mean. I certainly wouldn't push the problem off on someone else unless they knew they were getting a mean rabbit.

The rabbits are humanely euthanized before they are fed to the birds or any other animal for that matter. Zoos and raptor centers do not feed live animals to there animals not only because the think it's inhumane to the rabbit they also don't want their animals injured.

Roger

murph72 wrote:
I'm sorry, but there is no way I could give a rabbit to a bird to be torn apart.  I also do not raise rabbits that are large enough to be considered "meat rabbits."  No offense and to each his own, but I do not see my cute bunnies as dinner.  I would rather humanely euthanize a rabbit than to cause it to suffer at the hands of another animal that is going to use it as dinner.  Luckily I have never had to cull a rabbit due to temperament.  I have only had to euthanize rabbits for physical rather than psychological or emotional problems.  I'm not sure if I would put a rabbit down that was mean.  I certainly wouldn't push the problem off on someone else unless they knew they were getting a mean rabbit. 

It is a cycle of life. Every animal has to eat. The centers humanely euthanize the animal before it is fed to their animals. To save their animals from possibly being injured. To me, any rabbit can be dinner. I have butchered Netherland Dwarfs, and New Zelands alike. Every rabbit has meat on their bones, some just make better market animals than others.

Latest posts

Back