Breeding Does Back to Back

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tundrakatiebean

Reaction score
I'm writing a aper for a composition class I'm taking and I would like to write it on breeding does back to back if I can find enough information. It's an argument and persuasion paper. With my limited view of the issue I would disagree with it. I was hoping that all you fabulous breeders could give me your views and information on it. I know Peg has a firm stand on this, which is what got me intereasted in this topic. Also I would like to interview some breeders for this paper.

Thanks guys!

It all depends on the doe.

I have some does that are bred ona regular basis. I wean their litters and

evaluate their condition and it they are in very good weight and don't seem

dragged down they are rebred. Some does do get dragged down a bit and

are given a rest before being rebred.

Most does do best on a regular breeding schedule instead of once or twice

a year. They seem to have more problems kindling if they have too long of a

rest between litters.

Roger

I agree with Roger, It all depends on the doe and her condition. Some does thrive being bred back to back, some don't.

We had a REW Mini Rex doe that used to get severely depressed after every litter. We had to keep her bred 3 times a year. (And she lived to the wonderful old age of 9, living out her last years bonded with one of her daughters.) Most of our Mini Rex do fine with 1-2 litters a year.

Regardingmy Giants, I never breed a doe more than twice a year. (usually only once a year)The main reason being I leave babies with their mom for 10 weeks. (Yes, they'll still nurse9-10 weeks... if momma will let them.) Then the doegets at least 10 - 12 weeks to recoup. I weigh them and won't breed them again until they are up to their best weight. If all is well, they will get bred again (assuming the weather is goodandI have room for the babies.)

But I am not breeding for "production". Theintense breed backyou are refering to is done mostly by the "meat" industry, with specific breeds, developed and bred to tolerate this level of reproduction. They breed the doe 2 weeks after kindling, while she is still nursing a litter. The litter is weaned at4 weeks, she has 2 weeks "off" and kindles again. I don't know any show breeders that follow that kind of schedule. (Keep in mind that none of those babies are expected to "grow up". They are not concerned about bone density or type, GI stasis or anything else.)

I have heard that some "rabbit mill" breeders, thatsupply the pet store trade, also follow the "immediate breed back" schedule. But we all know about what that produces... we see it every day in pet stores and markets across the world. :nonono:

JMHO and what works for me.

Edited to add: Thereis a booktitled Rabbit Production that has excellent information about Breedingfrequency and production... authors: McNitt/Patton/Lukefahr/Cheeke

Inspite of what the book refers to, some of the most comprehensive and scientific data we have comes from Rabbit meat producers. They have a financial stake in producing the most rabbits, most efficiently, healthy and with the fewest complications.

I'm no breeder, but I do know that when Sandy had finally been separated from her Dinkies she was ready to go again, I think she's a glutton for punishment, lol.

Does are supposedly most open for breeding 0-72 hours after kindling (or so I have read, someone might correct me there), so maybe nature intended them to be constantly bred? Not saying it's necessarilyright though.

I agree with everyone. Depends on the condition of the doe. I won't breed a doe more than 3 times a year.

Flashy, I think nature did intend them to bred constantly, maybe that's why wild rabbits have such short lives. :(

Oh wow.....well first of all - while I am a breeder - I don't have the mindset of many breeders. I'm not criticizing them or anything like that - so please don't take this wrong.

Many breeders I've met have gotten into breeding through 4-H or having meat pen rabbits or something like that. The majority of them do not have a problem culling rabbits by putting them down, etc. and the mindset I often see is that the animals are "livestock". I'm NOT knocking that mindset and I'm NOT saying that every breeder is that way. Just the majority of breeders that I have met (to date) are like that.

I got into breeding because I fell in love with lionheads and rabbits in general and knew what they had done to lift me out of my depression. So I started breeding on a limited basis - mainly to get some pets that I could share with others (for a small fee to cover my food costs, etc). I didn't want a full-time breeding operation going on.

My problem with "back to back" breeding as I call it - is when I see breeders have a litter and then rebreed the doe right after weaning at around 4 weeks of age or something like that. I've known breeders (lionhead breeders) who would breed their outstanding does every month - foster the kits onto a not so great doe and turn around and rebreed that doe again so she was havnig kits every 31 days or so.

I am mostly out of breeding now - I may breed a few does once in a while. I know of a few other breeders who feel like I do - that they prefer to only have 3 litters per year from a doe at most....and that is the way I'll go IF I stay in breeding.

But I'm finding that I don't like breeders (I'm talking about lionhead breeders here - not ALL breeders). I find that I don't fit in well with them because to me my rabbits are my PETS and not just my livestock. I won't put a rabbit down just because it has the wrong color eyes or whatever.

I'm going to PM you the names of a couple of breeders you might want to contact for your paper. You can tell them I sent you...

Anyway - I wish I could be of more help. I can see where breeding does right after kindling could help them have easier births....but my does tend to have easy births anyway. They're larger girls and I try to breed them so that they'll have a larger litter with smaller babies. Some of my does love being mamas and they will get bred more often. Some of my does aren't great mamas - and they become my pets or I'll rehome them. I don't want to pass on to my offspring the temperament of someone who isn't a good mama.

Once again - I'm not speaking about ALL breeders. There are several great breeders on this board and many of them know far more than I do. I just deal with my rabbits more as pets than as breeders...

Peg

I agree with Peg. it was the love of the breed that got me into it. but my does are only bred max of 3 times a year, i rotate my does round so a couple have a litter then as there babies are getting ready to be separated i would mate a different couple of does up. I also find it a stress that so many people kill unwanted babies and prefer to breed for type as i need to which is a bit more than i probably will do in the future as i need to establish my lines just now.

But i certainly agree that some does are ready to go more often than others

I think you'll find this webpage very informative http://www.fao.org/docrep/x5082e/X5082E07.htm

There is a lot of info near the bottom of the page on breeding schedules.

In general, many breeders breed for 4 litters a year from a doe.

The book "Rabbit Production" also has information on breeding schedules.Breed-back schedules include breeding the doe 7, 14, 21, 28, 35 or 42 days after the litter is born. Show breedersoften breed the doe after the litter is weaned at 6-8 weeks (42-56 day breed-back.) This keeps the doe at a good production rate, while still being able to maintain good condition.

It is true that does are very receptive immediately after giving birth. Rabbits are a prey animal and designed for optimal production of litters to keep the food chain well stocked. Do keep in mind that wild rabbits generally have a seasonal drop in production, so are not intensely producing litters year round.

Hares exhibit a phenomenon called "superfoetation" in which they become receptive within 5 days of giving birth and can conceive and carry a double litter during this time.

Pam

Thank you for the Website Pam!

If any other rabbitries/breeders want to have a weigh in on my paper in an official-I-might-quote-you kind of way you should feel free to answer these questions and e-mail or PM them to me (my e-mail is [email protected]) Thank you again to everyone who helped me out with this :)

1. What breeds of rabbits do you feel you specialize in?
  2. How long have you been breeding?
  3. How did you get into breeding?
  4. Do you breed for show, to sell for show, as pets, because you just love rabbits or a combination of these?
  5. How many litters do you have in the average year?
  6. How many litters would you suggest per doe in a year?
  7. What would you define as ‘back to back’ breeding?
  8. How often do you think is too often to breed your does?
  9. Do you have strong feelings for or against ‘back to back’ breeding? Why?
  10. Do you think there are health effects for over breeding a doe?
  11. Do you think that there are any affects to kits that are products of ‘back to back’ breeding?
  12. Do you have any other comments you would like to add?

I'm starting to freak out...I think I'm not going to be able to write my paper on this because I can't find enough academic sources to back up my argument (my teacher won't let us use internet sites)...I'm thinking about doing why females should be spayed if they aren't breed instead because I already have a rabbit medical text that goes into detail on it...

You should be able to find some library books with rabbit breeding info, or have your library get them in for you.

Pam

I can't imagine the school not wanting you to quote from studies that are on university internet sites, they're technically library material. (Purdue has a lot of excellent material).

I'd also check the gov't websites under agriculture.

That's all very academic!

sas:?

PS: the link Pam gave you is a UN study taken from a document deposit repository, it would also be available in the larger libraries, doesn't that count?

If it comes up on a library search as an article then we can use it, but otherwise no websites what-so-ever. She also asked up to write a 3 page academic paper with at least one source per page over the weekend which is not enough time to get resource help at our library... I don't think she really knows what she's doing...

Yea maybe you should switch topic this time and try and do this one another time.

went to the public library and grabbed a lot of rabbit breeding for profit books. I'm going to try and pump this paper out before tomorrow, we'll see how that goes.:?

My teacher asked for a copy of my paper to keep :shock: and here I was thinking it was a piece of poo, I think it's just because she doesn't know very much about rabbits so I knew I could 'fabricate' some information...

Latest posts

Back