Breeding color question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icarus

Reaction score
Alrighty, so:

Opal x Opal = 100% Opal? Or is there a chance for blue/chocolate/lilac/other dilutes?
If a regular kit (say, Agouti or Black) is born from two dilute parents (in this case, Opal), it would technically be a dilute carrier, correct?

Opal x Black Steel = Opal and Blue Steels?

Opal x Chestnut = More opals?

Opal x Ermine = Will this pairing possibly produce more Ermines? The Ermine is a 'mystery bun' with his white coat hiding everything.

Ermine x Black Steel = Again, no clue as to what this could produce. Such a tricky bun!

Sorry guys, I'm just getting curiouser and curiouser as my momma buns get closer to kindling. :biggrin:

I'm going to let others answer most of this but I'm going to say that the ONLY way you can get chocolate or lilac is if both parents carry chocolate. In addition - the only way to get lilac is if both parents carry not only chocolate - but also the dilute gene also.

So I'd probably rule out chocolates and lilacs.

Opal X Opal should be all opal, but there's chances for random other things depending on the parents genetics.

A dilute carrier is a kit that has one dilute parent and one non dilute parent. If you breed dilute X dilute, all you can get is dilute. (dd X dd = dd)
If you breed a dilute carrier to a dilute, then you will get 1/2 dilutes and 1/2 normals. (Dd X dd = 1/2 Dd and 1/2 dd)

Opal X Black Steel should = Chestnuts and steels, unless the black steel carries dilute.

Opal X Chestnut = all chestnuts unless the chestnut parent carries dilute. (These will be dilute carriers)

Opal X Ermine I have no idea on.

Latest posts

Back