breeding arrangments

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sabine

Reaction score
I am planning to breed Magic in the next couple of weeks, once the weather gets a bit warmer. There are a few questions I have and would like to put to the forum:

Magic currently shares her hutch with a spayed doe (her mother) Is it safe to keep them together once she has been bred? I guess the answer is no but I was wondering if at least for two weeks or so into her pregnancy she may be able to enjoy Coco's company. Magic never ever lived on her own and I am a bit concerned how this would affect her.

The other thing is that she is used to roam the garden freely. I would like her to be able to enjoy that freedom for as long as possible throughout her pregnancy. I was just wondering from what stage on should I confine her to her hutch (a week before due date?)

Furthermore, what would be the best option? Leave Magic in her old hutch (two storey type) and turf her mum out or should I put Magic into a somewhat smaller hutch that has only one level. I have heard stories of does occasionally dropping their babies all over the place, so my worry would be that she has them on the ramp on the upper floor and they fall down. Is that likely or would they instinctively seek out the safe places that I will provide for her. (Going by what I heard probably not)

I have a certain plan in my head but am trying to stay flexible (and I'm always looking for an excuse to buy a new hutch:biggrin2:) But I would just like to run this through the forum so that I know exactly what I'm doing when the time comes.

Thanks to everyone who is going to contribute.

I would put her in the smaller hutch and I would also move her straight away and give her soem time for her to make it hers before mating her. Main reason being does can get aggressive sometimes once mated and you wouldn't want her to take it out on her poor mum!

A lot of people say exercise is really good for pregnant does just one thing if she gets a lot of time out beware her making burrows to have the babies in!! I usually let mine out in a run where I can always keep an eye on what they are doing

hope thats useful to you :)

Yes thanks. i was thinking of keeping her in a run for at least the last two weeks of pregnancy as I otherwise would expect her to revisit the nest under the shed where she was born:)

I also thought that maybe I can leave her in her hutch since I can seperate the two levels and when it's time for the nestbox I could keeo her on the top level with the enclosed compartment and when she has given birth I could move her to the bottom and leave the kits on top and she can then be put in from the outside to feed them. That would also reduce the risk of harming them as she is going to be a first time mom.

I'm only going on what suki did when she had her litter even though it was little. She didn't start pulling fur till an hour or so before she had the kits so I would build her a nest and put it in and see what she does with it. Also I would move her into a smaller cage because once Suki had the kits she left them, so maybe once the litter is there they will be forced to stay close and keep warm. And I stayed up all night when suki had her babies so maybe you should do this because it's her first litter too. And you can keep an eye on them.

I would want her to have her kits on the bottom of a two layer hutch. The reason being is that it is not uncommon for a kit to go wandering. Remember that they are blind for the first 10 days or so, and they won't know if they are walking towards the ramp or not.

I agree that exercise will not be a bad thing for mom, but I also agree that you should be careful about where she chooses to make the nest as you don't want it to be unattended in the garden.

I would seperate mom and daughter as soon as is possible. I agree that Magic needs her own place that she identifies with and calls home before she is bred. She'll feel safer about having her kits in an area that is familiar and safe to her. I have seperated bonded buns before for this very reason. I put them in cages that were next to each other. That way they were still close enough to know that the other was still there. It seemed to help.

I would not recommend staying up all night with Magic. Some rabbits get stressed when you are around them when they are trying to give birth. I check on them in intervals to make sure there hasn't been a problem, but I try to give them their own peace and quiet without interruptions while they are in labor. Bunnies are rather quick in giving birth and like the privacy...who can blame them? :)

Give Magic some credit. Most first time moms really aren't that bad. I have had few instances of first time moms not knowing the right thing to do. Trust in her instincts. I'm sure she'll do a fine job.

Dyan

Thanks Dyan for your encouraging words and yes I have full confidence in Magic, her mum was a very good mother to two litters and she is a healthy easygoing bun. And no, of course I wasn't going to stay up all night unless I sensed something was going wrong.
I was thinking of maybe using the top part and blocking off the bottom part, when she is closer to kindling. That way there'd be no chance of any babies rolling around the hutch:)

Sabine,

That sounds like a good plan. The kits tend to go wandering sometimes and have no way of getting back to their nest other than by sheer luck. You might also want to check the diameter of the wire on the cage. Baby saver wire can be added to the cage to ensure that the little ones do not fall out between the cracks.

Good luck and let us know how you make out. :)

Dyan

Oh thanks. That is something I never thought of. What is the maximal diameter they are safe in?

Sabine, on your cages you could just cable tie 1cm sqr mesh, or something. That works two ways because it also prevents things like mice getting in, which the larger mesh still allows.

Good idea, Tracy, well, at least i have plenty of time to get everything organised

Latest posts

Back