Breeding and Genetics Information

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoops, didn't write the note that went with this stuff.

Your site will be the main (and maybe the only) geneticslink, I just came across these ones and didn't know if they were at all useful (it's seriously like hieroglyphics to me :huh), and I wanted to save the links somewhere other than on my computer so you could take a look. (I'm not even certain the genetics onepertains to rabbits!)

The only part that I wasinterested in were the World Breeds for the Breeds section. These ones were all linked in some way or another, made me think that a Breeders Resource Library might be a plan.

EDIT: I did think thattheidea of a Managing a Rabbitry linkor article(s) looked interesting, but there may be better, more relevant sites than that one. :dunno (I didn't think this one looked too hot, frankly, but it's basically here as a reminder).

This is all ultimately up to you and the Rabbitry Mods.

ss

Sites such as this one http://dga.jouy.inra.fr/cgi-bin/lgbc/main.pl?BASE=rabbit really wouldn't be of use to most people. I like gene mapping sites because I like to study the different protein mutations and their effects on different species (There's an extensive listing on mice, and the human genome project has a cool poster that lists protein mutations associated with certain diseases). The sites also list the chromosome location of that particular gene. Most species have the same protein mutations in genes, but often located on different chromosomes.

However, people are generally interested in basic coat color genetics sites.

Pam

I found this genetics calculator pretty interesting but I'm not sure on the accuracy of it:

http://www.mammarabbit.com/modules.php?name=Calculator

And http://www.thenaturetrail.com/Holland-Lop-Genetics-Home.htm seemesgreat for holland lop information set out in a very easy toread manner?

I don't know what the rules are for finding and linking to information so I'll just offer these up and see what you think.

What about typing up our own articles based on information read insteadof linking to other sites, or would that take up too much room on theRO servers?

minilops wrote:
What about typing up our own articles based on informationread instead of linking to other sites, or would that take up too muchroom on the RO servers?
This is certainly my preference. I'd LOVE for RO to begenerating it's own information as opposed to just linking to others.

Personally, I'm hoping to get time to really pay attention to orignalmyth-debunking, a really well-organized cheat sheet, etc..

Angela's Feeding post is a great example (even though I keep losing it).

And no rules re: linking to info, btw. As long as the info issolid and relevant, no end of links, no restrictions that I can thinkof.

Awesome job already, Michelle! :elephant:

S

Thanks! :wink

I'd love to gather information on at least one topic and attempt to write something up, then pass it by one of the breeders.

I'm really interested in the rabbitry area even though I don't breed;hope I can have something to do with it. Even if all I do is findinformation that would be fun.

If you want to write an article, go forit! I'd recommend linking to a few other sites/threads forreference in it, such as details of colors or genetics. IMO Ithink a great article would be on complications/dangers with pregnancy,birthing, and raising litters. Mainly because we could thenshow it to every irresponsible 12 year old backyard breeder todiscourage them from breeding.:D

Is this easy-to-understand genetics info?

I found it here: (don't know if this is where it originated though)

http://www.petfoodcookbook.com/factsheet.php?title=Domestic_rabbit

Genetics
There are 10 color gene groups (or loci) in rabbits. They are A, B, C,D, E, En, Du, Si, V, and W. Each locus has dominant and recessivegenes. In addition to the loci there are also modifiers, which modify acertain gene. These include the rufus modifiers, colour intensifiers,and plus/minus (blanket/spot) modifiers. A rabbit's coat only has twopigments, pheomelanin (yellow) and eumelanin (dark brown). There canalso be no pigment, causing an albino or white rabbit.

Color Genes

Within each group, the genes are listed in order of dominance, with themost dominant gene first. In parenthesis after the description is atleast one example of a color that displays this gene.

Note: lower case are recessive and capital letters are dominant
  • "A" represents the agouti locus (wild rabbit colour). The genes are:
    • A= agouti
    • (chestnut, lynx, agouti)
    • at= tan pattern (tan, silver martin)
    • a= self or non-agouti (black, chocolate)
  • "B" represents the black locus. The genes are:
    • B= black (chestnut, agouti, black)
    • b= brown (chocolate)
  • "C" represents the color locus. The genes are:
    • C= full color (black)
    • cchd= dark chinchilla (chinchilla)
    • cchl= light chinchilla (seal point, smoke pearl)
    • ch= Himalayan (black pointed white)
    • c=albino(ruby-eyed white or REW)
  • "D" represents the dilution locus. (For example, a black rabbit with this gene is a blue.) The genes are:
    • D= dense color (normal coloring, like a dominant C)
    • d= diluted color (blue)
  • "E" represents the extension locus. It works with the 'A' and 'C'loci, and rufus modifiers. When it is recessive, it removes all darkpigment. The genes are:
    • Es= steel
    • E= normal dark pigment (black)
    • ej= Japanese brindling (harlequin)
    • e= no dark pigment (orange, frosted pearl)
  • "En" represents the plus/minus (blanket/spot) color locus. It creates the broken color pattern. The genes are:
    • En= English spotting (broken, which is white and another color)
    • en= self (no white areas, solid color)
  • "Du" represents theDutchcolor pattern, (the front of the face, front part of the body, and rearpaws are white, the rest of the rabbit has colored fur). The genes are:
    • Du= absence of Dutch pattern
    • du= Dutch pattern
  • "V" represents the vienna white locus. The genes are:
    • V= normal color
    • v= vienna white (blue-eyed white or BEW)
  • "Si" represents the silver locus. The genes are:
    • Si= normal color
    • si= silver color (silver, silver fox)
  • "W" represents the middle yellow-white band locus and works with the agouti gene. The genes are:
    • W= normal width of yellow band (chinchilla)
    • w= doubles yellow band width (New Zealand Red)

Is this easy-to-understand genetics info?

I found it here: (don't know if this is where it originated though)

http://www.petfoodcookbook.com/factsheet.php?title=Domestic_rabbit

Genetics
There are 10 color gene groups (or loci) in rabbits. They are A, B, C,D, E, En, Du, Si, V, and W. Each locus has dominant and recessivegenes. In addition to the loci there are also modifiers, which modify acertain gene. These include the rufus modifiers, colour intensifiers,and plus/minus (blanket/spot) modifiers. A rabbit's coat only has twopigments, pheomelanin (yellow) and eumelanin (dark brown). There canalso be no pigment, causing an albino or white rabbit.

Color Genes

Within each group, the genes are listed in order of dominance, with themost dominant gene first. In parenthesis after the description is atleast one example of a color that displays this gene.

Note: lower case are recessive and capital letters are dominant
  • "A" represents the agouti locus (wild rabbit colour). The genes are:
    • A= agouti
    • (chestnut, lynx, agouti)
    • at= tan pattern (tan, silver martin)
    • a= self or non-agouti (black, chocolate)
  • "B" represents the black locus. The genes are:
    • B= black (chestnut, agouti, black)
    • b= brown (chocolate)
  • "C" represents the color locus. The genes are:
    • C= full color (black)
    • cchd= dark chinchilla (chinchilla)
    • cchl= light chinchilla (seal point, smoke pearl)
    • ch= Himalayan (black pointed white)
    • c=albino(ruby-eyed white or REW)
  • "D" represents the dilution locus. (For example, a black rabbit with this gene is a blue.) The genes are:
    • D= dense color (normal coloring, like a dominant C)
    • d= diluted color (blue)
  • "E" represents the extension locus. It works with the 'A' and 'C'loci, and rufus modifiers. When it is recessive, it removes all darkpigment. The genes are:
    • Es= steel
    • E= normal dark pigment (black)
    • ej= Japanese brindling (harlequin)
    • e= no dark pigment (orange, frosted pearl)
  • "En" represents the plus/minus (blanket/spot) color locus. It creates the broken color pattern. The genes are:
    • En= English spotting (broken, which is white and another color)
    • en= self (no white areas, solid color)
  • "Du" represents theDutchcolor pattern, (the front of the face, front part of the body, and rearpaws are white, the rest of the rabbit has colored fur). The genes are:
    • Du= absence of Dutch pattern
    • du= Dutch pattern
  • "V" represents the vienna white locus. The genes are:
    • V= normal color
    • v= vienna white (blue-eyed white or BEW)
  • "Si" represents the silver locus. The genes are:
    • Si= normal color
    • si= silver color (silver, silver fox)
  • "W" represents the middle yellow-white band locus and works with the agouti gene. The genes are:
    • W= normal width of yellow band (chinchilla)
    • w= doubles yellow band width (New Zealand Red)

Latest posts

Back