Breeders- Will She Eventually Loose Her Mane?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishbunny

Reaction score
This is my beautiful Ellie :)
She is about 8 weeks old now, my rabbit Princess has had two litters and this little girl has been the fluffiest of the two. Even Princess was not that fluffy as a baby. Princess still has a bit of a mane between her ears and so does Ebony.

Do you think she will eventually go the same way as them? I'm not planning on keeping Ellie, just interested to know anyway :)

The picture makes her mane looks shorter then it is IMO, it's about 3 inches long and she also has a fluffy butt :p

1z2inoh.jpg

my lionhead looked like that as a baby after his second molt his mane was really short and he totally lost the fluff on his bum bless him. so id say she wont stay that fluffy :(but she'll still look gorgeous regardless :p

My lionhead didn't stay fluffy, instead developed a "mop" lol, It was pretty ugly.
But then she took her hair out to have babies, and it has grown back sooo cute and nice.

I have a teddy lionhead....lol she looks like a jersey wooly with an overly fluffy head.

I never wanted to get into them becuase their was some people saying they loose their manes...they confuse me at the moment. lol I bought my teddy lion only becuase she is adorable beyond belief. XD

LionheadLady wrote:
She looks like a single mane... so yes she will lose it.
Really? To me she looked double maned, since she has the floof down below too.

I don't know a lot about Lionheads, I just don't follow breeds until they're recognized. But I think usually double maned rabbits will stay that way. LH's vary, as you know. But I thought it was generally the single maned ones that tended to lose. Just from what I've been told.

double maned lionheads will look like this when their fur just starts to come through

doublemanelionheadkeep.jpg

they will be bold at either side of thier bum, im not sure why this happens but its a good way to tell if your lionhead will be double maned or not. I think double maned lionheads are only really possible when both parents are lionheads but im not a breeder so could be wrong.

Also i dont think all single maned lionheads loose their manes

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
LionheadLady wrote:
She looks like a single mane... so yes she will lose it.
Really? To me she looked double maned, since she has the floof down below too.

I don't know a lot about Lionheads, I just don't follow breeds until they're recognized. But I think usually double maned rabbits will stay that way. LH's vary, as you know. But I thought it was generally the single maned ones that tended to lose. Just from what I've been told.
I am a breeder of Lions... that is hands down a SM (single mane) lion... SM have the fluff around the flanks & the entire face... but it is not thick.. they always lose it... they might have a few sprigs of fluff as they get older but that's the most... if that was a DM (double mane) it would have tons more & much thicker... (I will see if I have any pics of our SM & DM litters so you can see the difference)

If 1 of the parents was a double mane & the other was a SM or a No mane (NM) it would be a SM... the only way you get DM is if DM & DM are bred together... so if you know what the Dam & Sire are there is your answer. My daughter is #1 in points for Lions nationally & in the entire NE region, so we know this breed very well. The one pictured is a SM lion.

DM to DM = all DM lions
DM to SM = 50/50 shot of DM/SM
DM to NM = all SM
SM to NM = all NM

Some breeders are not honest & or will not disclose if all are DM, SM or NM lions. We have bred a DM to a Nethie (years ago) to clean up ears & sold all the SM as pets. Now that the standard has changed yet again there is no need to breed into a nethie anymore... Now that Theresa has the COD in her court & am sure the lions will get passed in 3 years now. There is a new Standard out now that Theresa made up. It is much better than the rest & actually states how the breed should be posed & all the details unlike the prior standards.

Good luck with your lion. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Thanks!

I know she was a SM alright, since her Mammy is an SM and her Daddy isn't a lionhead. I thought maybe she would keep it though, since she is so fluffy compared to the rest of the litter, and the litter previous.

Thanks again!

I hate to disagree with you - but I have had single mane lionheads keep their mane - for years. In fact - there were times when it would get fuller with each molt.

The difference between them and the other single manes I had - was that the hair was "crimped" - which is hard to explain - but it is like the hair wasn't just straight at all.

Harry - a single mane buck I had - kept his mane for over 4 years. His son Harriet had his mane for over 3 1/2 years also. Harry's offspring - even if they were single maned - kept their manes.

This happened in a few of my lines where I'd had to use single manes.

I've also seen double maned lions lose their mane - or at least it looses its look and becomes short. Usually though - the manes don't have the crimped hair when that happens.

I can share pictures later - I'm on my way out the door to work...

I agree with you though that Theresa will probably get the lionheads passed - I was hearing that back about 4 years ago (maybe 5 years ago?) when I got into lionheads.

I realized I could do this quickly....Quick picture of Harriet at the age of four - and as a baby. He never had the "dripping" mane of some double mane lionheads where it is long and soft....as you can see. But as a single mane rabbit- he did always keep the mane he had...

DSCN5452.jpg

Babiesforforum009.jpg

BabiesBabiesBabiesandTinyandGinger0.jpg

You pics are great... As it shows, there is very little mane, a few sprigs... if shown that lion most likely would be DQ'd for the mane. There is not enough there. I have had a couple DM that have lost the mane like the SM but nothing like the SM's... usually the DM that have lost it have a SM on the ped & it never had the total thick mane as the DM with all DM on the peds... I will see if I can post some pics... We sell all the SM as pets... I have seen them as they grow from people sharing the pics with us... none are like the DM we have... Mind you if you have a teddy lion I think breeding that to a SM is a good thing to clean up the teddy... so they are needed to clean up some of the lions. But they need to have a good type to do it.

I'm enjoying this :) I'm not a breeder, (thought I wish I was), so it doesn't matter much as I am hoping not to have anymore babies from Ellie's parents. Still interesting though :)

Latest posts

Back