Breeders-what do you feed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minirexmama

Reaction score
I am back in the breeding biz after a long lapse, and I'm finding it difficult to know what to feed my mini rex.

I seem to have few options-the most local is Purina Rabbit Chow, which has 16% protein andhighfiber so you don't have to feed as much hay I guess. Another sort of close mill makes 16% and 18% with 13% fiber.

I plan to show, so will probably add some supplements to their feed, but I need a good base. Anyone?

Spend the extra money for purina if you have it available. I don't even have to think about supplements for it. I've tried others though too and my satins didn't do as well on Purina as PenPals.

I was wondering how people liked Purina because it does seem to have higher fiber and some other nutrients. When I had rabbits before, I had my feed milled for me, but that's not an option now. Which Purina do you use Dyemond?

I use a mixture of 50/50 - Purina Show Chow and Purina Complete mix. I also add in oatmeal and sometimes I'll add in other things. Lately I've added in a bit of sunflower seeds as they needed help with blowing their coats due to the season change.

I used to use local stuff because I had a bad experience w/ Purina and lost rabbits (years ago) - but I've come to realize that any bag of any brand of food can have issues - not that it usually happens - it usually doesn't happen. But I've heard of the same thing happening with other brands of food (even Oxbow which many folks on here use).

So...I just feed the Purina w/ the other stuff in it and if I start to see them lose condition or pick at their food - I'll know to have it tested and switch them to something else.

But my rabbits have beautiful fur now that I've switched them back onto Purina...I'm very pleased and if I was showing again - I think they'd do well on the tables as far as their fur goes...(now body type....well...).

I'm feeding rabbit chow right now but my feed store has recently gotten in a new Purina (I'm not sure what it's called). It's not the Show formula.... I think I'm going to look into it because I've been told it's slightly cheaper and people are getting just as good of results from it. Winter is a good time for me to switch these things too so I'll let you know how it goes.

So in these parts, this IS the feed of choice for show Cali's, basically, if your NOT feeding this, your not even considered a contender..

scan-2-1.jpg

1/4 cup crimped oats/barley 50/50 conditioning mix with black oil sunflower seeds

(My conditioning mix is contains 50% crimped oats + 50% crimped barley + 7-10 sunflower seeds per cup. however, you start off feeding 1/4 cup for 4 bunnies then over 7 days work up to 1/4 a cup each.)

1 tablespoon Doc's Rabbit Enhancer

(1 tablespoon for 4 buns then over a week work up to a tablespoon each)

Some people give a teaspoon of pure calf manna to their buns, I do not becausethe Petrus 700B comes with Calf Manna.

Mine also get a 4 way acid pack in their water, which is slam full of vitamins and electrolytes. It is essential for babies and nursing mothers, I wouldn't be without it.

Something else, which I don't actually know if this applies to other breeds, and I don't actually know if it is true, but what I do know, is at the show table, all of my Cali's noses and ear marking's are almost pitch black. They are given a carrot every day. I am told the beta carotene does this. Like I said, I don't know if it is true. But I do know, I can pick my buns out from every one else's, by site alone, not by ear tags, so it is a theory I am not willing to disprove.

For some of my buns who are a bit on the picky side, they get the crimped oats/barley/sunflower mixture with the addition of wheat germ oil and cheerios. BUT a dab will do ya on the oil... you can not only blow there coats, you can give em the bunny runs...and the Cheerio's can slap on weight, they are usually only reserved for underweight bun's who need to make weight.

Actually, as far as the fur goes, my buns are notorious for their sleek silky fur and stellar coloring.. never had a *blowout* as we call them..or a "shedding/molt" problem.

The judges always comment on my buns fur, and actually go on and on. I can toot my own horn and say if you mixed mine in with a bunch of others.. I can still pick mine out by sight alone..

Looks pretty decent to me! I've also used the same ratio of rolled outs/barley/calf mana and Sulflower Seeds. Something else that works very nicely is wheat germ either in place of the barley or in addition. Feeding purina though, and with the right genetics I rarely even use this anymore unless it's for my Reds because they naturally have less conditioning due to their inferior genetics (they're such a dying variety).

Thanks everyone-gives me a lot to go on. I also plan to call a couple local breedrs I know (mini rex) to see when they do with what we available in this state.

Latest posts

Back