Breeders beware - make sure your rabbitries are safe

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
Kate is a good friend of mine - and last year we drove to Los Alamos to pick up our rabbits from Nationals since we were unable to make it there. She and her husband are really neat people - we spent a great evening together and then we got our bunnies....and she gifted me with three rabbits from one of my bucks she'd bought the year before....

She posted this on the lionhead list tonight -called "Massacre in our rabbitry"....she has given me permission to post this here in hopes that all breeders will be sure to double check everything to make sure their rabbits are secure.

Have tissues handy....

[line]
Yesterday, we came home to find the most awful, gruesome thing anyone can find.
Our neighbors pulled down their fence to replace with a new one, they figured they could get it done in one day, but apparently didn't forsee the problems that would ensue by not forwarning us and co-ordinating it with us first. They had talked about "maybe" doing this 2 months ago, when we first moved in here; but they never said they were actually going to do this or when, or my rabbits would not have been here. The big shed in our back yard has big swinging doors, which were open to let in the nice Spring air and let the mommas get some fresh air with their babies. Our dogs do not bother our rabbits, they are used to them. The neighbor's dogs have killed most of our beloved rabbits, the death toll at this point is 38, with 17 rabbits at the vet's office or in various stages of repair, one doe has a broken back leg, but the vet thinks she'll still be able to have her kits she's carrying. This may sound cruel to leave her bred and piin her leg, but after having to pick up all of my bunnies broken little bodies off the ground, I don't care if she has the kits live, but being able to splint her leg with that little pin is such a blessing, and the fact that I had to bury both her mother and father yesterday afternoon, makes her all the more special, if she can survive….she'll stay inside the house for the remainder of her life and be more than spolied, she'll be on a pedestal. Both of our dogs spent the night at the Vet's, the older one has many stitches, cuts, a shredded ear and a broken tail. Our younger one, has so many deep lacerations and bite wounds, I do not think we'll be able to show her anymore, due to the damage to her nose and ears…I'd like to think their were protecting the rabbits, but I know they were protecting our property, ferociously too. The neighbor dogs were not unharmed by any means, small consolation that it is. We came home to destroyed and scattered cages and the greater percent of our best rabbits which we had brought home from the horse barn to get ready for spring litters and to get ready for upcoming shows and to get out of the barn while we did spring upgrades (ceiling fans, etc.). Some of our most notable and horrifying losses are: Prideland's Lyric and her last 4 kits just born, who also did not make it. Prideland's Cadence, also expecting. Castle Gate's Sabina, expecting. Also our Aslan's Greedo, Aslan's Jabber Jaws (my little JJ, what a sweetie with his toys, always more toys than cage or girls), and DJ's Shiloh Bear (my son's first rabbit and baby). Wetzel's Buzzette and Celine, and 4 of Celine's 7 new kits didn't make it, but it looks like 3 may survive. Bastet's Duchesse and 1 of her just weaned kits, the other 3 are ok and even chipper and wanting Cheerios this afternoon, thank goodness for small miracles, they were hiding in the dog food dispenser and beneath the garden shed. There were so many others and some I have spent the last 24 hours praying for recovery only to say goodbye to them today. We have contacted our attorney to see what we can do, as that is the only thing we can think to come up with, as our neighbors didn't see the loss as anything that traumatic. We had started renovating our barn to upgrade for them this summer, but the rabbits are back out there as of this morning, and our project is on hold to get back to safety and give the buns a safe place to be. It is a small relief, as they are protected not only by the barn they are in; but by several horses and a rather grouchy burro who will kill dogs….Wish I hadn't brought everyone up by the house...
At least I know they are ok there, and safe now, away from my stupid, careless neighbors. Those few that made it with little or no injuries are: Bastet's Spud, Legendary Onyx, Sahara and Juliet. Pajarito Bogey (those of you that came to our hotel room at Convention know him well….), Pajarito Calypso, Pajarito Azure and Titania, Iris and Skye also made it so far. KP's Irish Crème, Frostbyte and American Eagle; Mossypossum Blue Hawaaian, Gertrude, Gabor and Gretchen. About half of the kits I had bred this last January and February are ok, with minimal damage if any, although, three juniors look like they will be partially blind (one eye) from their ordeal. Also, most of my Netherlands are fine or just scraped up. Sadly, many of the rabbits that I lost, I also lost their only kits I had kept, so there is nothing to replace them with. We're still checking into all of the babies (thank goodness for tattoos and sharpies) and we're dismanteling the sheds in the back yard to make sure no one is hiding under them, as I'm missing 12 bunnies, juniors and seniors…I abhor the thought of where they could be.

Please folks, make sure you know what your neighbors are up to, for the benefit of your bunnies. We thought a fence, the shed and their cages; not to mention our dogs protected our yard and house along with them, it just wasn't enough….

We are down from over 70 rabbits to just over 30....
Sincerely, [size=Kate Kramer, family and the remaining tough survivors of Pajarito Rabbitry][/size]

Kate Kramer
40.gif
40.gif
40.gif
40.gif
40.gif

Pajarito Rabbitry
Los Alamos, NM
www.PajaritoRabbitry.com

Tell her I am so sorry. RIP Bunnies

ARGH - They are the sort of people that make me so mad - i mean we are close with our neighbours and they have met our bunnies and everything - why didn't they tell her. Or why didn't they keep their dogs away.

RIP all those little bunnies and I hope the dogs that got attacked are ok.

I just cannot believe it...
:rant:
I am really sad and anoyed now.

Thanks for the reminder. I need to find better security for Tony before I put him outside .

RIP little bunnies. I'm so sorry :(

Wow, how horrible. Tell her I am sorry for all her loss. This really does hit home as I will be replacing my fence this summer. However, my neighbor's dog has been in our backyard before. Even still, I think that I will get some temporary fence and put it around the cages.

Tell Kate, thanks for allowing you to crosspost. It is a different circumstance for her. I hope she sues them!

Sharon

Oh my gosh i am so sorry for her loss, but this is a real danger to outside rabbits . It is sad that the neightbors with the dogs werent more responsible as to the where abouts of thier dogs. It is scary because if there was a child there or even if the woman and her husband was there they could have been seriously hurt by these dogs.

OMG! What a terrible loss. Are the police involved? If not, they should be. At the very least I hope the family can at least recoup their vet bills and the cost of cages, etc., via lawsuit. But nothing will replace those poor rabbits or heal the buns and dogs with permanent damage.

:sad:

Darn it, I just went and looked at some of the pics on the website. And now so many of those rabbits are gone, I really shouldn't have looked.:tears2:

That is awful . I hope she sues the dogs owners for everything they can. That is just horrible .

that is terrible. there is definitely grounds for suing, at least in my opinion. i hate it when people let their dogs run free, no matter where they live. i know some dogs are sweet and nice, but many aren't, and you can't really tell how a dog is going to behave in some situations. what a terrible thing to happen to the owners, and a terrible last moments of life for those poor bunnies.:(

If she's going for a lawsuit remind her to take pictures of the injuries.

This is so sad :(I hope she can find her missing rabbits and all the injured ones heal nicely...

That is terrible. How heart breaking for them. I hope they sue thier neighbours too, they must be pretty cold hearted to think it's not all that traumatic! :grumpy:

The whole thought of this happening makes myheart hurt... :sad: My sincere sympathy. I hope all your injured rabbits heal well.

wow speechless what an absolute sin for them. I hope the attorney can do somethign for them the neighbours need penalised for this in my mind.

I had a pet rabbit attacked in my back garden when we had a fence being put up the rabbit survived though was epileptic but th epeopel who owned the dog payed all the vet bills for my rabbit which was just over £100 (around $200)

Send them my hugs I hope the buns are ok and pull through

That is horrible! I'm so sorry she is having to go through this.:(Please let her know that my thoughts and prayers are with her and that the others have a full recovery. I'm so sorry!:bigtears:

I don't think there are any words for how sad this is... Many prayers for Kate and her family. This is every breeder/pet owner's worst nightmare come true.

:pray: :bigtears::rip:

That is so sad! I would shoot those dogs if they come onto her property again. And sue their owners!

:rip:All you buns! Loves, Amanda.

This is completely devestating, I would be beside myself as I am sure she is. I would absolutely sue - there is no way this should have happened. We live way out in the bush but had people living on a farm about 6 miles from us with a bunch of dogs that they allowed to run loose - they killed eight of a local farmers sheep and ripped the tails and rear ends out of another farmers old pet cows. We saw one of the dogs here one day checking our sheep fence, our three sheep are hand raise, disabled, and much beloved pets. I couldn't catch the dog - we told the owners, next time we will have to get rid of the dog. That's all it took - never seen a dog here again. My dogs don't bother our animals, but I would never even think of letting them near anyone elses, because, simply put, dogs are dogs and they have instincts. It's completely the owners at fault here.

This is just a nightmare and I feel so sorry for this woman and all those bunnies. I'm so sorry.

That is really horrible. I am soo sorry for all their losses and I can just imagine the heartbreak they're going through. :(

If I ever came home to that I would probably die right there. My neighbors don't even know about my bunnies. Only one family does, and they might haven't forgotten, not sure. They have the types of dogs though, that would attack our rabbits I'm sure.

I would definitley tell her she DOES have legal action in this matter. She can sue them, and the dogs could face the death penalty, or whatever. She should look up the laws regarding livestock (rabbits are livestock, right?) and animals being attacked within her county/state, etc. ;)

What makes me even more angry is that the neighbours didn't think of her loss as traumatic! That's horrible! That's just soo sad they have no feelings (well i'm sure they have a few) for the massacre their own dogs caused! If I were Kate, I'd probably go off rant to her neighbours about them thinking it wasn't traumatic - it wouldn't be something pretty too see.

Tell Kate I am very very sorry for her loss. :hug2:

:rip:Rest In Peace those bunnies who were lost. :rainbow:Binky free at the Rainbow Bridge. Your mommy and daddy loved you guys soo much :inlove:

Emily

Latest posts

Back