Breed of my new bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MulanTX

Reaction score
I just got him/her today at a feed store. The girl working there was clueless about its background, but I took a chance since he/she is so darn cute and friendly, the only one in the cage that dared to sniff my hand voluntarily and allow me to pick it up.

I think it's about 8-9 weeks of age, and weighs 1.3 lbs.

So what's the verdict on breed and how big it's gonna get? I plan on taking him/her to the vet soon to determine gender as well as an overall check up before scheduling a spay/neuter in a couple months.

2012-04-25%2B17.44.21.jpg

2012-04-25+20.09.39.jpg

460477_10150794934678738_501668737_9807161_1077516383_o.jpg

You could easily sex the rabbit yourself, the Internet has great photo's to check against and it would save you money to spend on other things your bunny may need. The baby bunny looks quite young, maybe only 7 weeks. Is the apple just to show the size of the bunny coz I wouldn't leave it in with the bunny in case it tries to eat it all, they don't really have a gauge of what's too much when they are little.

Good luck with your new baby! :biggrin2:

The vet that was recommended to me said I need to bring him in for a general health check up before the spay/neuter surgery. Is that the usual protocol?

My friend who used to raise rabbits for 4H says she thinks it's a boy, but she also said he's quite young and that's hard to tell at that age.

The apple is to there to compare his size with, he doesn't seem to know what to do with it. All he's eating is rabbit food and hay right now, I don't want to upset his tummy by introducing new food until he has a chance to settle in.

MulanTX wrote:
The vet that was recommended to me said I need to bring him in for a general health check up before the spay/neuter surgery. Is that the usual protocol?

My friend who used to raise rabbits for 4H says she thinks it's a boy, but she also said he's quite young and that's hard to tell at that age.

The apple is to there to compare his size with, he doesn't seem to know what to do with it. All he's eating is rabbit food and hay right now, I don't want to upset his tummy by introducing new food until he has a chance to settle in.

I think it's a good idea to bring your bunny in for a general check up. The Vet gets to know your bunny and see their general health before actual spay/neuter. I did it with Dr. Joe and he did a super job with my bunnies.

Cute bunny.

K:)

Okay, I don't see many Britannia Petite mixes, but the color is chestnut agouti, which is a color a Brit comes in,and except for the longer ears and smaller eye, the headalso looks similar to a Brit. If that's the case, then your rabbit will stay small.

I was gunna say he/she looked like my little brit babies but those buns aren't too common due to their spunky nature. Netherland Dwarfs also come in Chestnut Agouti so more likely a netherland mix.

Thanks for all the replies! I'm going to go with Netherland dwarf mix and keep my fingers crossed that he/she will stay small.

Here's a couple more pics taken today :)
2012-04-26+22.20.25.jpg

2012-04-26+22.21.45.jpg

I posted the same pics on bunspace.com and people are commenting that he might be a silver or wild cottontail mix!:brownbunny

The face isn't quite right for a ND but the body does. He's a cuties. Funny enough when I saw the first picture I thought wild bunny. We don't get cotton tails around here, just jack rabbits.

I know NOTHING about rabbits.

Having said that, I was thinking, before it even came up, that your rabbit looked exactly like the rabbit my friend found in her yard the other day. She said she was mowing and just happened to see him sitting there. He was also very small and the same color brown.

Latest posts

Back