Breed my bun or get a different breed? Help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Link

Reaction score
Right now I have a Tan buck. I haven't neutered him because I don't know if I want to get a doe and breed them. I think taking care of baby rabbits would be very fun but I also kind of want a rabbit that will be calm and sit in your lap and is easier to show than a Tan. If I get a different breed what do you suggest is the friendliest? But I am still contemplating to breed my buck with a doe and have baby rabbits. Help!

Do not breed your tan with another breed. If you want a different breeding pair of the same breed to breed then it would probably be okay. If you are not as well to handle your tan what will you tell new owners of the tan mix babies. Tans do not do well with people who do not know about them which is why I stay away from pet sales.

Breeding rabbits must be taken seriously especially if you care about the female. The babies, her, or both of them could easily die and if you are unable to mentally prepare for this then please do not breed. Also responsible breeders work very hard to uphold a standard for the different breeds in the US and we already get enough crap from people because there are a few that are irresponsible. Please do not breed just because you think baby rabbits are cute. There is much more to breeding than cuteness and it can be a very heartbreaking experience. Trust me I know. . .

Of course I wasn't going to breed between two different breeds. i'm kinda intimidated now for breeding so I think i will settle for a different breed. What do you suggest will be calm and friendly? I can definitely keep my rabbits separate if that is what's best.

it doesn't matter the breed, each rabbit is different. check out this link.

http://www.rabbitbreeds.org/best_rabbit_breed_for_pet.php

I've heard that the Flemish Giant is probably one of the calmest breeds and most likely to allow itself to be held. As a general rule, the smaller the bunny, the more nervous, more likely to bite, and less likely to tolerate being held. This is because rabbits are prey animals, and the smaller the bunny, the more predators it has and the more alert it must be to survive. The larger rabbits are not injured as easily so are a little more sedate. Rabbits in general, though, do not like to be held, so be aware that no matter what breed you get, your rabbit may be much happier being pet while he is on the floor.

It also depends on what size of a rabbit you want, a Flemish giant is pretty big and requires more food and space. If you're looking for a smaller rabbit, I raise holland lops and I adore them. they're a very calm and friendly breed & they stay pretty small, and of course they're super cute! There's many other great breeds out there so it's up to you :)

Last edited:
I was definitely thinking about a holland lop or a mini rex. Nothing too big.

If you are wanting a calmer rabbit, breed can only get you so far. There can be a fair bit of variety in many breeds. Holland Lops can be calm, but they can also be crazy. You may want to look for an adult rabbit so you can see more of the personality compared to a baby. It can also be easier to see how a rabbit fits the breed standard when they are more mature. Even 6 months can be a good age to see what a rabbit is like as an adult.

Since you are thinking about breeding, you should get a rabbit that would be good for breeding, even if you don't end up breeding. A good breeder can help you get one that could be more suitable for breeding.

Start small. Maybe get a rabbit that is easier to handle for showmanship, but show both rabbits in open or youth shows. This can help give you some more experience in the show world. If you find you like showing, then breeding can be a good next step. Getting involved with breeders can be good to see what breeding is like. If a breeder lives pretty close to you, you might be able to help them out and get more hands on.

I love LOVE LOVE tans. They are so beautiful. I might want to buy one for agility sometime. 😄

If you want a small yet calm bunny, I encourage you to get mini rexes. Some mini rexes love to be held, like my snowy. She actually likes to be picked up!

my first 2 breeds i had were holland lops and mini rex. both are GREAT breeds. the only problem i have with mini rexes is that it is hard to keep them in wire bottom cages because they have very thin fur on their feet and get sore hocks very easily.

Latest posts

Back