Breed/Color ID please?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FosterFurries

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm brand new to the forum and brought home my first bunny foster today (I've had guinea pigs for years).

All I know about her is that she's female, and probably quite young (she is very active and quite small - I'd guess about 5lbs). And adorable, obviously.

I've just tried the breed ID key - obviously she has uppy ears and patterned fur (sort of a chincilla/himi type, I think, but beyond that, I'm stumped.

Could I possibly have a young Giant on my hands? Many thanks!

DSCN0162.jpg

Adding another picture - side view. She is about 12 inches long stretched out like this. Thank you for any help in figuring her out! :)

DSCN0153.jpg

While I'm not going to be much help in determining possible breeds, she does have quite large ears which means she could be quite a large rabbit when fully grown. Maybe up to 10 pounds (at a guess).

I feel like she might be a Flemish giant cross, so you can expect her to get pretty big.

As for the colour I'm not sure. Let me look around as see if I can find something.

I feel like she might be a Flemish giant cross, so you can expect her to get pretty big.

As for the colour I'm not sure. Let me look around as see if I can find something.

Thank you! I was wondering about perhaps a giant cross. Someone on Facebook suggested American Sable - does anyone here breed/know those well?

Also, I've been told that she has agouti fur. When you blow on it, it has rings - dark gray next to her skin, and brown/fawn tips. Her ears are outlined in black.

I've also discovered that it is rollback fur. Which, apparently, is nothing to do with Walmart. :)

colour: Chestnut agouti

Breed? Mix most likely. what type? haven't a clue, just a lovely mixed breed. If young, will probably mature to about 8 lbs.

OK, so I also messaged ARBA, and just got a reply from one of the judges there. He told me she was a New Zealand cross, agouti obviously, and less than a year old. So that really helps!

I hadn't realized that NZs could have agouti coloring, so had discounted the breed as a possibility. Now, looking at pics online, I can see that that is exactly her body shape. Thank you so much, everyone - I've learned a lot this weekend! :)

New Zealands can come in agouti/steel colors but they are not recognized in the breed. I agree with new Zealand or new Zealand mix

Latest posts

Back