bred doe with diarrhea

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smay

Reaction score
I have a holland lop doe that is 11 months old that I bred last wednesday, 2/4. She was quiet the next couple days which I didn't think much of. She wasn't eating much but her water was going down so know she was drinking a little bit.

Yesterday I noticed she haddiarrhea, it was not formed at all, green with some mucas. I gave her pumpkin last night mixed with banana and she wanted nothing to do with it so I was able to get some into her using a dropper and once she had some she seemed to enjoy it. I cleaned off her bottom and when I put her back in her cage she seemed to seem a little more active. She did go over and start munching on her hay. Her bottom was very wet so I dried off what I could and cut some of her fur so she would be as clean as possible and more comfortable.

This morning when I checked on her she had not eaten anything from last night.
She is just comfortable sitting on her nesting board and when I checked the tray she had pooped and itis starting to form quite a bit more than yesterday.

Is there anything else I should or could be doing? Is this normal for being bred her first time?

This is not normal for a doe who has bred for the first time, and I would lean towards thinking this may not be related to her being bred. Unless she was so stressed out by the process that it threw her digestive system off. Has she eaten anything different with in 24 hours before this happened?

Mucous is formed in the intestines when they are irritated. And the unformed green poo is not good either.

I would syringe her some pedialyte/doralyte (rehydration drink for small children). She needs lots of hydration after having runny poops. Giving fluids sub-q (under the skin) would be best, but orally is better than nothing.

Feed her hay only diet to try to get her gut back to normal. If she is used to some greens, you can give her some soaked in water to also help with hydration.

Also get some acidopholus or a probiotic for horses/goats/rabbits from a pet store or feed store. This will help acidify her gut and provide an good environment for the good bacteria to grow back in her gut.

So she is starting to form some normal poops now? Some normal poops is a good sign and hopefully that means she is on the mend.

Keep monitoring her very carefully and try to think of what could have been the trigger (stress, something she ate or drank).

-Dawn

Green mucus indicates a bacterial infection of the intestines.

She needs rehydration, hay only, and probiotic for sure.

If possible, give her some Bio-Sponge, made by Platinum Performance. It's kinda a specialty item but some people have it on hand for dogs/cats/horses. It absorbs the toxins released by the intestinal bacteria.

If the bacteria build up in her body, they will go into the blood and poison her. For this reason, it's good to see a vet. They can give appropriate antibiotics for GI bacterial imbalance, they will usually also have probiotic on hand, and if they don't have the Bio-Sponge, they will probably have a drug called Questran which does something similar although it requires you to really hydrate the bunny a lot. They can also do sub-q fluids.

With mucoid enteritis (which is what I think she has), they can go downhill very quickly as they dehydrate and get poisoned by the bacterial toxins. It's critical to get her hydrated and try to get the bacteria under control in any way you can. This includes probiotic, antibiotic, and hay only diet.

good luck.

Latest posts

Back