Breathing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trina

Reaction score
It seems a veryinteresting concept for me. Whenever I see other rabbit's some I seefast breathing, and some I see slow breathing. :?I'm not surewhat breathing is healthy to the rabbit. Meaning that if a rabbit isbreathing fast, does that mean that they are tired? And when a rabbitis breathing slow, does it mean that they are relaxed? Poey. Sorry forasking a dumb question. :?

Generally it indicates stress/activity level,just like with humans. But I've noticed a really weird thing with oneof mine--when she's relaxed, she STOPS breathing for a few seconds,then starts up again, kind of uneven. I get sleep apnea sometimes too,and it looks like that kind of thing.

I noticed something about heartbeat too: My small male's heartbeat seems faster than my large male's.

Rose

Is she excited? Was she just running around? Doesit look like she's having a hard time breathing, like wheezing orgasping oranything?

If she doesn't look distressed, it's probably fine. Breathing ratesvary a lot depending on the rabbit, and don't forget they breathe a LOTfaster than we do normally.

Rose

Right now I can see her laying down on thehallway. I can see her from the bedroom mirror. She has just beenhopping around for.. an hour and a half. And her breathing is alwaysfast. DDX

Trina wrote:
I seei see. Emmy's breathing is fast. I'm really worried about her. Is thata bad sign? Is there anything that I can do? :?
Our Missy was(is?)always a fast breather, too. I noticed it,as well as Carolyn when our buns attended summer camp at TuckerTown. Now, that she is an outside rabbit I don't have as muchoccasion to notice.

We both, Carolyn and I,expressed our concern at that time,but Missy is still with us, even after having surgery for GIStasis, which is no mean feat in itself.

I dunno if there is anything to a account for the differences inbreathing rates that you,me, others have noted withparticular buns. I haven't read anything to provide anexplanation as the buns appear healthy and normal in all other respects.

Buck

i thought mine might be sick or something. Maybehe is scared of me. Mine has a heartbeat that is really fast, he isalways trying to jump around, and he breathes hard, really hard!!

I noticed when I am holding Clinton that he willbreath what seems like normal, but will every once in awhile start tosnort/breath heavy, then stop as quick as he started.. I was wanderingwhy he did that. :p

~Nichole

Latest posts

Back