Breathing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gizmos mom

Reaction score
I have noticed that after Gizmo runs around and does the bunny 500 he pants so hard that it makes a little noise. No gurgling or wheezing, just the sound of air being sucked in and out.... Has anyone else noticed any panting noise after their bunny runs really hard?

I'm in Arizona where the temp is 106 on good days. Other than this I just took him to the vet about a week or so ago and all checked out fine (i.e chest, heart etc.)

I'm sure I'm paranoid, just like to be sure.

no not paranoid,.just concerned as you should be., the environment is a factor- 106*-wow-,is the rabbit 500 in that kind of heat?-donot keep him in this environment?.is there anyway to keep the rabbit indoor(70*)??,-needs lots of fresh cool water,,with damp/wet hands pet his head and ears-where the major cooling takes place,./.even place a bag of ice near him-he might find comfort,..sincerely james waller

Sounds like he's a happy bunny running around! :D I never really noticed this before with my buns. Hopefully someone else can be more help!

james waller wrote:
no not paranoid,.just concerned as you should be., the environment is a factor- 106*-wow-,is the rabbit 500 in that kind of heat?-donot keep him in this environment?.is there anyway to keep the rabbit indoor(70*)??,-needs lots of fresh cool water,,with damp/wet hands pet his head and ears-where the major cooling takes place,./.even place a bag of ice near him-he might find comfort,..sincerely james waller

This isn't normal behavior; a rabbit should never pant after exertion nor ever; rabbits do not cool thmselves like dogs

Iwould guess also that heis in too warm of an environment and as James mentioned you can use external methods to help cool him (frozen water bottles for him to lie next too, wetting his ears etc,) but he really needs air conditioning.

angieluv wrote:
james waller wrote:

This isn't normal behavior; a rabbit should never pant after exertion nor ever; rabbits do not cool thmselves like dogs

Iwould guess also that heis in too warm of an environment and as James mentioned you can use external methods to help cool him (frozen water bottles for him to lie next too, wetting his ears etc,) but he really needs air conditioning.

Gizmo is inside in the air conditioning (kept at 75) but if I go any lower I get yelled at by room mates who turn it right back up. Where the 106 comes into play is my room faces east so at some parts of the day the sun shines strait on through. Gizmo is placed in a corner of the room where the sun won't shine on him, and I have also had a special tint put on my windows to keep the sun from overheating the room. He is given a frozen water bottle every day before I leave for work and it is replaced when I get back. I have two fansstrategically placed in my room to allow the cool air from thehallway and from the ventsdown into the room without it blowing directly on him. I hadn't heard about wetting the ears.... that is a good idea that I will use. Just so you guys know, I would NEVER keep a bunny in the Arizona heat!!! Even I can't stand it!

Other than this, I'm not sure what to try... Gizmo seems to overheat easily, so maybe I'll offer to chip in the extra on the air conditioning bill....

"Arizona heat!!! Even I can't stand it!"

I hear ya, was born & raised in So.California and it does get scorching hot...however, I'll take 100+ dry heat any day over 85degrees with 86 humidity, lol.

My guys love fans. Tony likes to lie behind a fan rather than in front of it--I think it probably sucks the heat off of him and that's why he likes it. It's good to keep him as cool as possible with the methods already mentioned, but maybe a supplemental air conditioner for your room would be better. I know my guys get bothered when we get around 75 degrees. What about a window air conditioner, so that you wouldn't have to make the whole house cooler, just your room, and you could pay a bit more on the electricity bill?

Latest posts

Back