Breathing and swaying

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liv22

Reaction score
Hello!
I picked up 2 9 wk old mini lops today and 1 of them is a fair bit smaller than the other, once i got them home, i noticed the small one was swaying its head slowly from side to side whenever it would sit still (sorta like it was drunk!) and also it has been breathing heavily and sort of grunts when you pick it up... it hops around happily and has been eating and drinking...should i be taking her to the vet?

sounds like it could be e-cuniculi ?

is it possible you contact the breeder and see if any of their other rabbits are showing similar symptoms?

thankyou for your replies, yeah they are from the same litter, it wasnt until i got them home that i really realised the size difference, i've sent the breeder an email to find out, although when i picked them up they had been vet checked and she seamed to think he was fine, just little... but i may make my first vet trip next week and will of corse let you know!

alrighty! heard from breeder, she said that as for size, her dad was a lot smaller than her mum and she doesnt think this is a prob, she said that some scanning was normal, but not constantly, and breathing shouldnt be noisy, she said she hadnt noticed this when she had her though so i am going to give her a few days and see once shes settled in. I also took her to the vet to see what he said, he said shes very small, and thinks it may be a sinus/middle ear infectiony thing, however isnt too worried as she is still eating and drinking, can hop in a straight line and seams altogether happy and active, he also said to leave it a few days as she is still settling in and if shes not better to bring her back for an antibiotic shot

alrighty! heard from breeder, she said that as for size, her dad was a lot smaller than her mum and she doesnt think this is a prob, she said that some scanning was normal, but not constantly, and breathing shouldnt be noisy, she said she hadnt noticed this when she had her though so i am going to give her a few days and see once shes settled in. I also took her to the vet to see what he said, he said shes very small, and thinks it may be a sinus/middle ear infectiony thing, however isnt too worried as she is still eating and drinking, can hop in a straight line and seams altogether happy and active, he also said to leave it a few days as she is still settling in and if shes not better to bring her back for an antibiotic shot

would you like to hear something strange (although unrelated) ?

you are from sydney, i am also from sydney.

you picked up 2 mini lops which were nine weeks old yesterday

i gave away (well, gave to their new homes) 2 nine week old mini lops yesterday

you have a chocolate runt and a charlie normal rabbit

and those were the EXACT rabbits i gave to their new home yesterday. (even in the picture in your display picture they look soooooooooooooooo similar!)

i was really confused and for a moment i actually thought that you may have been the woman who i gave the rabbits too!

ha that is strange!!! how can you ever give any away!!!
i will just ask you as you seam to know what your talking about, with the runts, are they likely to have more problems? or are they just as likely to be just as healthy as the other ones?

hey all!
i sent the little bunny back to the breeder today...thought it was the best thing to do for her sake, my sake and the sake of her little sister...i didnt want her loosing her mate later down the track, i have now recieved another little girl from the same litter and the breeder said she would look after her and let me know how she goes... my fingers are crossed for her, because she was the sweetest little thing...

Latest posts

Back