Breathe Danielle... Just BREATHE!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I LuV MaH BuNs

Reaction score
Ok, so i was clipping long over due bunny nails.I did s'more... I did ok... (if i make typos its becuase im stillshaking). and i put s'more away and took mooshu out... I clipped herfront nails and i started the back... I clipped it to short. I freakedout. there was blood everywhere... i put her foot in flower... i wasntthinking about it i just did it... it didnt stop... so i told my mom toget my dad... he got really pissed cuz there was a mixture of blood andflour on her foot... he spent about 20-30 minutes cleaning it off whilei held her.... i thought i was going to pass out.... it wasnt so badafter it stopped bleeding. When you see more blood on a little rabbitthan uve seen on ur self in 3 years its a bit scarey... im such a badmommy... i got bit and i deserved it... She's doing ok... but i gotblood on the couch (mom's really mad about that). She got a rasin andsome oats... We are going to keep an eye on it for the next few days.Just wanted to get it off my chest... Ouy, i still feel bad and imstill shaking... I'm never going to clip nails alone again... Nexttime... we call BUCK JONES!!

OH, I know it's so scary I hate trimmingBo's. My vet even made bo bleed a tiny bit when he was ababy. I almost cried then!

I know it looks bad -- but trust me -- unlessbunny is a hemophiliac, she won't bleed to death. You cansimply hold a paper towel on the boo boo until the blood begins toclot. I've heard people swear that putting spider webs overit will stop the bleeding, but I usually don't keep anyhandy.

And next time - yes -- do call Buck :)

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Iknow it looks bad -- but trust me -- unless bunny is a hemophiliac, shewon't bleed to death. You can simply hold a paper towel onthe boo boo until the blood begins to clot. I've heard peopleswear that putting spider webs over it will stop the bleeding, but Iusually don't keep anyhandy.

And next time - yes -- do call Buck :)

Pam
:shock:You mean your house actually doesn't have a web in acorner or someplace? like the basement? or garage?

LOL

Well, I noticed Bo has a nail that he broke offthe other day. I didn't even know, and it seems fine, so Ididn't worry.

Bo B Bunny wrote:

:shock:You mean your house actually doesn't have a web in acorner or someplace? like the basement? or garage?

LOL

I suppose I could find one somewhere, but I try to brush them all down :)

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Bo B Bunny wrote:

LOL

I suppose I could find one somewhere, but I try to brush them all down :)

Pam
Well, me too, but I seem to be on here or doing something else all the time LOL

I wont say that we've all done it, but I have. Itscared me and upset me so bad. You feel guilty but you didnt mean to doit. I'm a lot more careful now clipping dark nails!!! Not that I wasntbeing careful that day.

Iusually cut a little bit at a time, kinda whittle away atthe nail. That way if I accidently cut into the "quick" it's not farinto it. Thank God I havent done that since then.

Lanna

Oh, I know how you feel! I'm sure Pam remembersmy panicked post when I clipped Valuran's nails too short and one wasbleeding. lol

In fact, we have to clip again but I'm dreading it...

I can't tell you the number of times I have cuttoo much and made the buns bleed. It happens to all ofus. As Pam said, it usually is of no great concern and thebuns seem to forgive us pretty quickly.

Darker nails are more difficult and "whittling" away at them is anexcellent technique that Lanna uses. With the nails backlitwith sunlight or a strong light source, I can see a "redder"cast to the dark nail in the area where the quick subsists. Icut just above it and usually I am on the mark. Just takesexperience I think and "looking" at the nails with a light sourcebehind them.

Our daughter's first venture into cutting her rabbit's nails resultedin blood flow that had an aterial pulse to it, she swears.Scared the bejeezus out of her and dictated an emergency visit to thevet. Don't think she ever tried to do it herselfagain. I can't imagine how she could have cut "that much."

Buck

Wow, don't be upset with yourself. I have beencutting all the nails of all the pets in our family for about ten yearsnow. Total (whole family wise) we have eight dogs so I have had a lotof experience. Even so I still sometimes hit the quick. It does scareyou though if you are not used to it. They sure do bleed a lot! Yourbun will forgive you! Just give Mooshu some extra lovin!

Fergi's mom

I clip all the nails on the family pets - thefirst time I did my aunts dog I accidentally cut it too short, and Ifreaked out! I had never done that before. But we stuck some flour onit and it stopped. She didn't seem phased on bit. And now I am glad Ihave that experience under my belt because Lorraine broke her nail oneday, and I knew it was going to be just fine. Don't worry, your not abad mommy. It happens to all of us.

~Nichole

I haven't nicked Elf yet when I do her nails--I'mglad she has all light nails, but I did nick Chaucer and Mugsy's nailsfrom time to time when I did them. They had all-black nails. I nick mydog occasionally too, but he's such a big lug, he doesn't even flinch.:) I just got back from a Boxer Meet Up here in Jacksonville. It was atotal blast--12 boxers running around and playing together. I reallywish I had more bunny lovers close to me to do a bunny meet. :)

Al actually pulled one of his nails completelyout on a towel. It bled a little. It didn't seem tobother him, and I kept checking for an infection. He is fine.

Ed

Latest posts

Back