Breaking two Bonded Buns

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petstoregirl

Reaction score
Ok here's the horrible situation my bun "L" is in.
She has lived alone in our store as a pet for 3 years. We have recently taken in another bun ("J") from a shelter that we intended to adopt out to a suitable pet parent. Against my advice my co-workers decided to introduce our lady to J...well it was love at first site. L has never been so active. They run and play and snuggle....so great to see, although we all knew that this was not to last.
J has been adopted. His new family is moving and has asked that we keep J until they are settled (the first week of April). I have read and been told so many horrible stories of separated pairs going into depression, starving and ultimately dying. Can we help L and J separate successfully somehow? Please advise....I am so worried.

PSG

Please do not separate a bonded pair, it would be horribly cruel. Perhaps the family can keep them both or they can both be store buns? Once they are in love it is the same as losing a spouse.

Two weeks ago my Houdini lost his dear bunwife Cinderella. He refused to eat or groom himself. He just laid in the burrow doorway with his chin on the floor being sad. Normally he is such a happy boy and loves to run all over the house. He was with Cinderella when she died so he knew what happened but still couldn't get over it. Imagine if she would have just gone away? That would have been even worse! I had to introduce him to another bun to get him to eat.

Please do not break L's heart :tears2:

:pray:

Honestly you can't seperate them. Its cruel to do so and could kill them both. They have to go together or they have to stay in the shop. At the rescue I volunteer at we have a bonded pair. There is no question that they must be adopted together. Even if it takes a year or to the shelter will not let them be split up. That is how importent it is to keep buns together.

Please don't break the bonded pair. I had to take care of my sister's pair because she got bored with them. One of the rabbits sadly passed away due to cancer and the other one never got over her. He died several days later refusing to eat or groom himself. When bunnies bond, they bond deeply. If you separate them, do it slowly. Seperate their cages, and then take her out of the room. Then introduce a new bun to him slowly, I wouldn't do it quickly though...but the best option is to not seperate them at all.

Honestly, you really cant do it. Its not fair to them. I feel like this is a question that really needed to be asked before they were ever introduced.

I think your best option is to politely explain to the new family that there was a mistake. You should either keep them both or the new family should keep them both. Two bunnies is not really any more trouble that one.

Alternatively if neither of you can keep them both I would honestly send them to a new family. Bunnies are so entirely bonded to their friend. They spend every moment together and wouldnt understand what happened.

Back