Brazilians?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undergunfire

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I belong to a Yahoo group called "AZBunny Swap", where breeders have been talking about "Brazilian" rabbits and how great they are. I guess they have an awesome "gentle/calm" temperment, and commonly are kept in same-sex groups from the get-go...no fighting! I can't find any information about them on the web...or pictures!

There is a breeder in Lake Havasu, AZ (4 hours away) that has them and she will be bringing them to the AZ State Convention, and I am not sure where that will be held...most likely Phoenix, so Ryan probably wouldn't be thrilled about driving 2 hours away to a bunny show...where he would have to keep me on a leash and drag me out of there before I bring home another bunny that I don't need/don't want, lol!

If anyone could supply me with link of information and pictures, that would be awesome :).

Brazilians (Rusticos)are from Brazil (no big news there LOL). The breed was developed in the 1970's as a food source for the poor in Brazil.

The Rusticoscome in dilutevarieties (blue, opal, squirrel, etc.), are very docile, have a very thick coat, are resistant to insects, have a mandolin body type, and they weight about 7 lbs.

Pam

Thank you, Pam! The breeder on AZBunnySwap shared a story about how she (or someone else, I forgot) went to Brazil and helped out the poor people to establish a breeding "facility"...so they could breed these bunnies for meat to feed their families.

I saw a picture from the breeder here in AZ. They are gorgeous "chubby" bunnies :).

pamnock wrote:
You may indeed be corresponding with the original breeder, Kathleen Blair of AZ.

Pam

YES! That is her :biggrin2:. I believe she breeds Velveteens as well. I think she is the lady I talked to about Velveteens before.

So cool! I've only seen one photo of a blue tort. Hope you can post some photos soon - heard that the Brazilians come in a glorious array of dilute varieties!

Pam

Well, here is a picture (from AZBunnySwap photo albums) of one of Kathleen's litters:

l_a6f87d53e294dd6b151d5ebdd42257f9.jpg

I think I have fallen in love with these bunnies! Look at that pointed guy on the far right. What is his color?

I think it was so great of Kathleen to help out the poor people and as sad as it sounds...it's great that this breed of bunny could help feed so many starving people.

I wish there was more information about these guys.

Aww cute little things, they do kinda just look like really crossed breed bunnies though.

Am I the only one who was thinking of waxed bunnies when I saw this threat title? :)

NZminilops wrote:
Aww cute little things, they do kinda just look like really crossed breed bunnies though.

Am I the only one who was thinking of waxed bunnies when I saw this threat title? :)

Crossed bred looking bunnies are the cutest, though :p. I think they look some-what like they have Flemish in them, for some reason. Maybe it's just an odd picture?

Hahahaha....Brazilian waxed bunnies!

undergunfire wrote:
Well, here is a picture (from AZBunnySwap photo albums) of one of Kathleen's litters:

l_a6f87d53e294dd6b151d5ebdd42257f9.jpg

I think I have fallen in love with these bunnies! Look at that pointed guy on the far right. What is his color?

I think it was so great of Kathleen to help out the poor people and as sad as it sounds...it's great that this breed of bunny could help feed so many starving people.

I wish there was more information about these guys.

Might be a sable point. Kathleen would be the best source of info - she developed the breed and apparently kept very detailed pedigree records.

So yes - she did develop a purebred lstrain of rabbit (that also happens to carry a wide variety of coat color genes).

Pam

I'm scared to talk to Kathleen :p! I don't need to end up with another bunny here, haha. I already show tons of interest in this breed. I find them to be quite lovely.

Maybe I'll be able to have a Brazilian in the future-future:).

Latest posts

Back