Brand/Quality of Hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Llama, thanks for listing those ingredients....I don't know what to make of it though;).

Laura, my bunny loves those things too! I also thought theylooked the most tastyas well (did you ever think of what itwould be like to eat all that hay?....dry andboring.) I guess I would like the worst partofit, wouldn't I. :p

My son Jeremy will not let me feedanything to the rabbits without trying it first. He said the Kayteetastes like Spinach, He said the seed heads are a tiny bit sweettasting. Maybe that's why they all them so much.:D

Tina

Sickntired, the best way to get a rabbit to eata different brand of pellet is to mix it with their old food for a fewdays. When he starts eating the new stuff, slowly increasethe proportion of new to old until he's only eating the new stuff.

I used to use Forti-diet. I'm not a fan. It didn'thave enough fiber for Mocha, and her poo would be a little squishy ondays she didn't eat much hay. I like Oxbow, but it isexpensive. Kaytee makes a decent Timothy pellet that's prettyinexpensive- you could try that. Some of the Purina typeslook good but I've never used them. Look for 16% protein orless and 18% fiber or more and less than 1% calcium.

On alfalfa vs. timothy pellets, many rabbits have lived long, healthylives on limited alfalfa pellets with free-fed timothy hay.Some rabbits have problems with excess calcium, which alfalfa has a lotof. Alfalfa also has more calories, so it can make adultrabbits a bit chubby. It's basicly up to what works for youand your rabbit. If he seems to be getting a lot of sludgyurine or is getting chubby despite limited pellets and treats andplenty of exercise, definately switch to timothy pellets.

I recently switched over to the Kaytee Hay ... Iwas giving them the Oxbow hay,....but the last bag i bought had alot ofbrown in it and all the stuff on the shelf loooked the same .. i guessthey got a bad case....but they kaytee hay is really green and smellsgood and they didnt seem to notice any difference and i dunno if itsjust by me ..but the kaytee is actually more expensive than the oxbow!

Back