Brain damage? (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnybunbunb

Reaction score
I am cleaning all the cages and the way I had the boxes I had to remove all the babies into a temperary thing. They are sitting here with me at the moment. My sister was holding it before me and she covered them up trying to keep them in but they got hot. Now the three week old sweetest baby is showing brain trauma. His eyes are jumping, like both times when I had rabbits get an ear infection that caused brain swelling and head tilt, and he is unable to mobe his front legs properly. He has control of them and is moving around but not like he should.

Him being so tiny means I am way to scared to try and treat him with anything. All the other babies are fine, it is just him. He is moving lots and breathing hard from being hot. I have him away from the others to cool down.

My rabbit vet is closed and I doubt she would want to risk giving such a tiny baby medicine(he is smaller than the dutch babies who are two days younger).

Do I let him slowly cool off like he is, or do I do something? Any experiance on whether the apparent damage is temperary due to his tempature?

I had planned on him staying anyway so if he is handicapped I would have no problem doing what he needed. Physical Therapy, medicine, whatever.

Worried :tears2:

I have seen rabbits display all sorts of issues like this from being overheated....including one that a vet called me about "foaming at the mouth" (it had been left in a hot car....sweat glands are near the nose). Certainly should cool him down....slowly to prevent shock. A spray mist bottle with cool (not cold) water will help....mist the ears as that is how them manage body temp. Obviously there could be brain damage if the internal body temp become excessive. I would cool him down and monitor.

As far as not wanting to treat a baby (vet or not)....I treat baby rabbits all the time....both domestics and cottontails. While there are some considerations to be studied (primarily how the liver can filter drugs).....my feeling is that they will die without treatment and at least treating will give a chance. We routinely dose drugs to cottontails that weigh less than an ounce and have sedated and performed surgery (successfully) on a 45g (about and ounce and a half) that had a fractured femur. I treat no matter what the size.

Randy

I am not saying they should not be treated, I am saying I do not have the experiance and I highly doubt my rabbit vet has much if any. She knows her rabbit stuff but in such a small rural area with the poverty rate out of this world I am sure not a huge rate of people take their rabbits to the vet. No one in my family know you could do such a thing when they heard I had Becca spayed :/

It is great to know there are people out there willing to do so much and learn how to dose such small animals!

He seems to be getting hotter. I am wetting his ears, we have it pretty cool in here, too.

I believe he just had a seizure, he was laying beside me with a baby dutch and both where stretched out laying on their sides when he started twisting and flopping. He is not hot but still breathing hard. :(

Latest posts

Back